• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Juventus ***

Good summary Steff, but I am still gutted. The only consolation for me is that Poch will be learning from this experience and to put it into perspective there are far worse things happening in the world at the moment.

Agreed mate. We just needed that nous to freshen the middle, slow the game down after their equalizer, let the play happen in front of us and sit deep for a bit, anything to stifle the momentum. But we will learn. Poch will learn. And there is NO shame in going out to Juventus. They know how to do it. Chiellini was fantastic - what a legend! - and we will be back. Great CL adventure and more to come!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Agreed, they haven’t a hope. For all their cleverness tonight, a City or Barca will overwhelm them like we did for 80 mins in Turin and not give them something to hold on to. Buffon also looks like a poor man’s Bobby Mimms.

Tonight was the last sting of a dying wasp.

Had a read on a juventus forum and they're all shocked they won. Apparently not happy with allegri and think they play too negatively. Typical boring Italian football.

Allegri's use of two subs within a few minutes of each other as he changed shape caused just enough confusion, that psychological trick for a brief time, that allowed them to exploit the uncertainty and score twice.
I don't think there's blame to go to Poch for not reacting quick enough to those two changes, but maybe for not making changes of our own fast enough.

I think you are spot on. That shift to a back three caused 10 mins of confusion.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I admit it, at 60 mins I turned to my mate in the pub and said Chiellini was starting to look old. The footballing GHod was listening, sadly. :(

We were clearly naive, but I think Bartender should’ve seen red for his disgraceful dark arts on Sonny, and Pjanic got away with two second yellows. We needed to score more for what we created.

Not sure what happened with Dier’s arm as he clearly couldn’t move it properly? Poch should’ve subbed Wanyama on right after the first Juve goal to bring a bit of fresh energy into that area of the pitch. For me, Davo made a fatal error pushing up on that second - you have to win that challenge if you push that high.

Lesson in dark arts football tonight, the Old Lady showing that even though she is approaching Grannyhood, she still knows how to swing those hips and get a cheeky twinkle from the youth. That goes for management too. They went 3 at the back and we simply did not adapt quickly enough...a fine run regardless. COYS!

Should have played Wanyama from the start..maybe some truth in that you win games from the strength of
The midfield!
Anyway....
How do we get over this CL loss? Where do we pick up the pieces? How do we improve from here?

Dier was fine IMO until he got injured

One thing I still don’t get... we bring on Llorente and stop crossing the ball!!!

How does that play to his strengths

Dier was fine IMO until he got injured

One thing I still don’t get... we bring on Llorente and stop crossing the ball!!!

How does that play to his strengths

I thought we did punt a few up to him to get a flick on. I assume Poch was trying to get the ball forward quickly to stop them packing the box.

Sorry I don't buy that. Maybe against the very best sides we come up little short but we are certainly not a mental fragile team anymore, nor a defensively poor one. That is just inaccurate IMO.

Some poor finishing from us is the only reason we are not going through, simple as that IMO. If a Kane's header had sneaked over the line in the 90th minute instead of bouncing on it would Juventus be mentally weak and poor defensively? Of course not. It is just small margins at this level that make the difference so I don't agree with him on this. It's just a soundbite for the media.

When did I say we were a mentally fragile team?

I was just about to reply to Jurgen but I might as well put it here. I'd prefer not to get into this all again as I've had long discussions on this in the past and its 1am where I am now.

But we have improved mentally. Massively. The Man Utd game was a very recent example. Even let;s say 5-6 years ago. I'd have spent much of that game terrified about the inevitable onslaught, the inevitable collapse. Yet I had full confidence in the team that we would go on and win. Of course, I wasn't sure we would win. Anything can always happen, a sending off, lucky goal, great subs by the opposing mabager, whatever. But I was confident that we'd see out the game. And we did. Confidently and competently. That is a huge leap in our mental status. It wasn't a victory on the ropes either. We really saw it out.

But as I've tried to say above, winning individual league games is very different to crunch knock out ties or real season changing league games. I've said in the past it is no coincidence that our 2 worst performances in the league during the Leicester season were the only 2 games we actually had the opportunity to leap frog Leicester into first place, rather than roaring along from a safe distance. It is no coincidence that we conceded 4 goals for the only time all season when we played Chelsea in the SF, even when they had dropped 2 of their best players onto the bench. And it is no coincidence that we've lost more European knockout ties than we've won in the past 4 years. There's a touch of the Arsenals about it in the past few seasons, when they get smashed in the first leg of some European tie, come roaring back in the 2nd tie and then somehow inevitably end up stopping the scoring just one short of what they actually need to bring it back. It happened just a few too many times for it to be a coincidence.

It is all if if if at this margin. We can't keep falling back on ifs.

Like I said, I know this won't be a popular view on here. But it is my view. I've said I love watching us play, I think we're great. I will remember this team, whether we win trophies or not. But again as I've said, progress is not linear always and I hope we don't end up looking back at this team as Leverkusen fans must look back on their early 2000s team that nearly won the treble and ended up winning nothing.

How is it a soundbite for the media? Like I said, this is an Italian player, playing for an Italian club. He has won it all basically, one of the best defenders in the world. Has no link with the English media. What possible reason could this man have to put out a 'soundbite'? He is clearly speaking the truth, what he actually believes. This isn't an Arsenal player or a Chelsea fan just trying to put us down in the media. Why would he care about the English league or British media and be trying to hit soundbites?

Can't really fault the boys tonight. We were almost flawless. We're getting close to being a truly world class team. A bit more composure after the first went in, and a bit more precision in front of goal and we would have gone through as worthy winners.

It hurts now, but I think we'll take a lot from this night. This team won't be broken up for at least a couple of seasons - we have time to put the finishing touches on what is clearly one of the most competitive teams in Europe at the moment.

On to the next one...

I now worry for the future again. A win against Juve would've said more about where we are going, a loss just adds fuel to the fire of speculation and how close we are to returning from where we came.

The papers and pundits will be on our case again, agitating for our best and brightest to go elsewhere (even when Kane himself should've done better with a number of chances over the two legs). Depending on how the rest of the season goes, we will see at least 1 player leave over our lack of forward momentum (again we stalled tonight and have gone backwards in the league) and struggle to adapt.

I think I’d be right in guessing that you’re a ‘glass half empty’ man, right? :rolleyes:

I was just about to reply to Jurgen but I might as well put it here. I'd prefer not to get into this all again as I've had long discussions on this in the past and its 1am where I am now.

But we have improved mentally. Massively. The Man Utd game was a very recent example. Even let;s say 5-6 years ago. I'd have spent much of that game terrified about the inevitable onslaught, the inevitable collapse. Yet I had full confidence in the team that we would go on and win. Of course, I wasn't sure we would win. Anything can always happen, a sending off, lucky goal, great subs by the opposing mabager, whatever. But I was confident that we'd see out the game. And we did. Confidently and competently. That is a huge leap in our mental status. It wasn't a victory on the ropes either. We really saw it out.

But as I've tried to say above, winning individual league games is very different to crunch knock out ties or real season changing league games. I've said in the past it is no coincidence that our 2 worst performances in the league during the Leicester season were the only 2 games we actually had the opportunity to leap frog Leicester into first place, rather than roaring along from a safe distance. It is no coincidence that we conceded 4 goals for the only time all season when we played Chelsea in the SF, even when they had dropped 2 of their best players onto the bench. And it is no coincidence that we've lost more European knockout ties than we've won in the past 4 years. There's a touch of the Arsenals about it in the past few seasons, when they get smashed in the first leg of some European tie, come roaring back in the 2nd tie and then somehow inevitably end up stopping the scoring just one short of what they actually need to bring it back. It happened just a few too many times for it to be a coincidence.

Like I said, I know this won't be a popular view on here. But it is my view. I've said I love watching us play, I think we're great. I will remember this team, whether we win trophies or not. But again as I've said, progress is not linear always and I hope we don't end up looking back at this team as Leverkusen fans must look back on their early 2000s team that nearly won the treble and ended up winning nothing.

How is it a soundbite for the media? Like I said, this is an Italian player, playing for an Italian club. He has won it all basically, one of the best defenders in the world. Has no link with the English media. What possible reason could this man have to put out a 'soundbite'? He is clearly speaking the truth, what he actually believes. This isn't an Arsenal player or a Chelsea fan just trying to put us down in the media. Why would he care about the English league or British media and be trying to hit soundbites?
That was a long post which I don't agree with it ;). We'll leave it there.

Can't really fault the boys tonight. We were almost flawless. We're getting close to being a truly world class team. A bit more composure after the first went in, and a bit more precision in front of goal and we would have gone through as worthy winners.

It hurts now, but I think we'll take a lot from this night. This team won't be broken up for at least a couple of seasons - we have time to put the finishing touches on what is clearly one of the most competitive teams in Europe at the moment.

On to the next one...

Great post - and very true. That trophy is coming.

CD02258D-1B5C-4EAC-9A3E-A442DC445C8D.png 74EF7478-5948-4A6F-8B6B-A5508BD8DFB0.png

I wonder if his quote has been paraphrased their wrongly as this is what he has said

Had a read on a juventus forum and they're all shocked they won. Apparently not happy with allegri and think they play too negatively. Typical boring Italian football.

I agree. It's nonsense about them being more up for it. They certainly didn't look up for it in the first half. Higuain was invisible. Son tore them open repeatedly. We had 23 shots on goal, and 6 corners to their 1. If Kane and Son had gotten their angles right, we would've walked it.

Coulda woulda shoulda.

Last edited:
That was a long post which I don't agree with it ;). We'll leave it there.

Fair enough mate. I'm heading to bed now, what a crappy note to go to bed on. Was really expecting to go thinking about the quarter finals but alas it wasn't to be. Hope Poch can pick the players up for an important 3 points this weekend.

Date: 7th March 2018
Time: 7:45pm

What:
Time we said goodbye to Juventus, gave them the Italian boot out of the Champions League & said goodbye to Buffon’s time in European Club football.

Come in Juventus, your time has come, the Kings of Badgers at Tottenham are to evict you. You are nothing more than unwanted vermin, which the badgers and the Spurs badger will collectively peck at to pieces.

Please add your photos of badgers, and Wily Coyote, plus a few bowls of custard, and then glory will be our’s!

2008 we won the League Cup
2018 we will win the Champions League

Great job

Back