• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Unofficial Official OMT - Spurs v Newport

Anyone just coming back from injury needs to be in this. Winks, Wanyama, Toby and Rose (if fit).
Lamela, Foyth, and Vorm also to start which leaves four spots. Say Sissy and Aurier down the right. Llorente up top and a run out on the left for Georgiou

I think he's been a CM his whole career through youth football. His whole raison d'etre is as a metronome - 120 quick simple passes a game, giving the team it's beating heart. Like Modric before him, that's his specialty

"CM" is a rather vague term. Can be defensive, offensive, box to box and more besides.

He came into the team in a more advanced/progressive role, and more recently settled in deeper as you describe.

I would hesitate to pigeon hole him as "thats him now" at this stage in his career though.

I love WInks, and I see the Modric comparisons - I just think he could also evolve into something else as well.

I could well see him doing his metronomic passing further upfield, I could see him doing a lot of what Eriksen does for us.

And against Newport I think is a great opportunity to see what he has about him there. I also think, physically, its a less demanding position for someone coming in from a longish lay off.

And, as I said, Id rather Sissoko was no where near the attack, so its a win-win for me.

Lucas Moura will not be able to play against Newport as he was not registered in time for the first game, but the Brazilian - with a week of Pochettino training in his legs - could very well be on the bench against Arsenal and that will only further boost the options available to Pochettino and the confidence running throughout his young team.

According to Football.London (Alasdair Gold)

Vorm
KWP Foyth Alderweireld Rose
Wanyama Winks
Sissoko Lamela Son
Kane

Subs: Gazzaniga, Dier, Aurier, Davies, Lllorente, Eriksen, Alli

Vorm
KWP Foyth Alderweireld Rose
Wanyama Winks
Sissoko Lamela Son
Kane

Subs: Gazzaniga, Dier, Aurier, Davies, Lllorente, Eriksen, Alli

Ugh. I would be aghast if Kane plays any part at all on Wednesday. Similarly Davies, Eriksen and Alli - even having them on the bench is a bad idea. I'm very uneasy with the idea of Son having a role, although it's tougher to see an alternative.

A second string and the recently recovered are simply going to have to be good enough. They are playing at home, on a proper pitch. Against Newport.

---------vorm
aurier---foyth---toby---rose
-------wanyama--winks
--sissoko----dele----lamela
----------llorente

subs: gazzaniga, kwp, dier, dembele, eriksen, son, kane.

Ugh. I would be aghast if Kane plays any part at all on Wednesday. Similarly Davies, Eriksen and Alli - even having them on the bench is a bad idea. I'm very uneasy with the idea of Son having a role, although it's tougher to see an alternative.

A second string and the recently recovered are simply going to have to be good enough. They are playing at home, on a proper pitch. Against Newport.
I'd be aghast if Llorente starts as we simply do not look like scoring with him leading the line. Get the job done, then take the big hitters off. No messing around.

I'd be aghast if Llorente starts as we simply do not look like scoring with him leading the line. .

He's a premiership-quality striker who had fifteen goals last season against rather more serious opposition. I just can't believe that he won't have enough for Newport at home.

And if an assemblage of convalescents, youth and misfits doesn't cut it and we tumble out of the cup, so be it. The NLD has to take priority.

Interesting how this Newport replay has spun 180 degrees from 'Ugh. Last thing we needed' to becoming a very useful game to get a few kinks worked out.

I hope we win and advance to play Millwall, a club I wish we had a better relationship with. Yes, their fans can be a handful, but they are the archest of enemies for West Ham. We loaned them Kane to good effect and we should look to similar opportunities moving forward.

Assuming Alli, Son, Moura won't feature in this match:

---------------------Vorm--------------------
--Aurier---Toby(pls)--Foyth---Rose--
--------------Winks---Wanyama---------
------Sissi--------Kane------Lamela-----
------------------Llorente-------------------

Subs: Gazza, Sanchez, KWP, Davies, Dier, Oakley-Boothe, Eriksen.

Interesting how this Newport replay has spun 180 degrees from 'Ugh. Last thing we needed' to becoming a very useful game to get a few kinks worked out.

I put it down to genius managing by Poch:

Try a new formation - CHECK
Provide an entertaining FA Cup game to re-ignite interest in the competition - CHECK
Score a ‘classic training ground’ goal FROM A CORNER - CHECK
Ensure little Newport get a big pay day - CHECK
Secure us an important game to allow players returning from injury to get some valuable game time - CHECK

Lucas Moura will not be able to play against Newport as he was not registered in time for the first game, but the Brazilian - with a week of Pochettino training in his legs - could very well be on the bench against Arsenal and that will only further boost the options available to Pochettino and the confidence running throughout his young team.

According to Football.London (Alasdair Gold)

Be madness NOT to have him on the bench at least - would actually think there is an argument to start him....

This is a needless FA Cup replay which we can do without. History books won't let us forget the fact we almost lost to a League 2 team like Newport and so have to play this replay. Pochettino better find a way to improve our performance in this match as Newport almost embarassed us in the original match. Pochettino needs to take the Cups more seriously as we have never been convincing in any domestic Cup matches under him. FA Cup remains our best chance to win a trophy this season. Hope we will make use of the chance to win this match and progress to the Round 5 of the FA Cup.

It is going to be difficult to concentrate on this match as we will face Arsenal and Juventus after this. Pochettino needs to find the right balance to the team if he does make many changes to the team. Kane rescued us against Newport earlier, so he should start this match as Llorente is still not convincing. In fact, Pochettino should stop playing Kane and Llorente together as it doesn't work. Want to see Lamela start this match as his work rate and creativity will be very useful for us..

It seems like our midfield is almost back to it's best with Dembele, Wanyama and Winks returning from injury. Too bad Moura won't be available for this match. Won't mind if Sissoko and Winks start this match. Sissoko has been poor in recent matches but hope he will step up and inspire us here.

Our defence have not been very convincing without Alderweireld. Really wish Alderweireld can play in this match to improve his match fitness for the Arsenal and Juventus games. Our options are very limited in defence with Foyth not really convincing so far while Sanchez starting to make mistakes. Surely, our defence needs to perform much better than the match at Newport. We cannot get complacent like that again.

Good performance is not really important in Cup matches as long as we win. But let's hope we will put up a good performance and get a convincing win to progress to the next round of the FA Cup.

If he is ever going to be of use to us he needs minutes and he needs chances to get his eye in in front of goal.

I would be aghast if Kane is involved at all.

I bet you would have been even more aghast in the first match if Kane had not played and we got knocked out as we did not remotely look like scoring against Newport with him

I bet you would have been even more aghast in the first match if Kane had not played and we got knocked out as we did not remotely look like scoring against Newport with him

It wouldnt have been acceptable, but it also wouldnt have meant that leaving Kane out wouldnt have been justified.

And yes, I would have left Kane out.

Back