• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

Wenger and SAF are just similar as they both in the same job along time.
I truly find the Wenger situation terrible for the man. He has a done good job but he is his own worst enemy. The board have allowed his dedication to the club to confuse his thinking.
The board are a disgrace. Sometimes one has to be cruel to be kind and letting Wengers legacy to be tarnished to such degree is sad IMHO.

Last edited:
Very sad situation for a once excellent manager. Forget all the trible silliness it is such a sad end to a great manager.

I'd be amazed if he hangs on till the summer.
But we are talking Arsenal.
Don't think it is sad at all. Managers at the other big clubs have been sacked for much less. He is living off the past and the lack of ambition of Stan Kroenke. The situation with Sanchez and Ozil running down their contracts is incredibly poor management and will cost Arsenal millions. Some of that is down to his dithering in the transfer market. Should have sold sanchez in the summer for £60million and bought in someone else like Lemar. Ozil looks like he could go for free as does Wheelchair. Makes me appreciate levy even more.

However, as well as the world class players (who will probably leave with him), he has a lot of mediocrity. Will be interesting to see how a new manager deals with them. The positive thing is they have a lot of financial might although that hasn't so far helped Utd return to former glories.

Wenger and SAF are just similar as they both in the same job along time.
I truly find the Wenger situation terrible for the man. He has a done good job but he is his own worst enemy. The board have allowed his dedication to the club to confuse his thinking.
The board are a disgrace. Sometimes one has to be cruel to be kind and letting Wengers legacy to be tarnished to such degree is sad IMHO.

Totally agree. Although Wenger should take some responsibility for his own demise. He refuses to let go. SAF knew when his time was up.

First Ive heard that one. Isnt Arteta at City at the minute?

A few of my closest friends are Arsenal fans, so Ive had similar discussions with them. Initially they tried to compare Wenger to SAF, I had to say, they are nothing alike.

SAF was always one step above the team, with a coach in there doing the day to day. This added gravitas to when he made an appearance, and allowed him perspective on the team and where it was heading/what it needed.

Consequently SAF was able to rebuild that side what? 5 times? And each time, while maintaining a Man Utd identity, these teams were often entirely different in shape and style.

SAF actually managed, more than coached.

Wenger, it seems, tries to do it all. Effectively he spreads himself to thin to really get everything done, and he is far to close to the detail to really see the bigger picture. Its a source of enormous frustration for my mates.

For a time they could console themselves with us never being in the same conversation, but thats changed the last few years and just rubs salt into the wounds...

I've noticed that my mates who follow them have set their goals lower each season for the last few years, from wanting to win the CL or Premiership to qualifying for CL and now the once joke of finishing higher than us is a must do challenge. My old school friend stopped going after 2 seasons at the Emptycrates as he couldn't stand the people around him.

Last edited:
I've noticed that my mates who follow them have set their goals lower each season for the last few years, from wanting to win the CL or Premiership to qualifying for CL and now the once joke of finishing higher than us is a must do challange. My old school friend stopped going after 2 seasons at the Emptycrates as he couldn't stand the people around him.

This is the bizarre part, its a very long, slow, painful decline.

No other manager would have survived this long.

My friends are similar, they have gone from being bullish about winning the title to being tentative about getting top 4.

And they are really conflicted, rightly they adore Wenger for what he has given them, but by the same token their frustration with him boils over these days...

Brede Hangeland was just on the Norwegian Premier League channel talking about Mark Hughes' defensive qualities. Hangeland had Hughes as the manager of Fulham for one season. He came to a club with a rock solid defence and decided to change it around, resulting in Fulham steering steadily into the relegation zone. When this had gone on for a few months, the back four themselves decided to start playing the way Hodgson had taught them to play and they stopped letting in all the silly goals and finished eight or thereabout.

I think it's pretty consistent with Watford's survival strategy over the past few years -- get a new manager in, motivate everybody, win a bunch of games and then bin him when it wears off. They'll repeat this as long as they keep avoiding relegation, imo.

I think it's pretty consistent with Watford's survival strategy over the past few years -- get a new manager in, motivate everybody, win a bunch of games and then bin him when it wears off. They'll repeat this as long as they keep avoiding relegation, imo.

Yeh agree, new manager is already lined up

Its funny strategy in that they are starting to get a good side together

I like him a lot, will be interested to see where he goes next and how he does.

Undeniably though their form went through the floor once the Everton stuff came up.

another exotic named foreigner nobody has ever heard of, graham taylor must be turning in his grave.

I read somewhere that they have had 13 managers in the last 10 years.

Back