• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your controversial Spurs views

Do you have any controversial views regarding Spurs, players past and present, managerial staff etc, that you feel totally fly in the face of the opinion of the vast majority of your Spurs brethren?

I have two significant ones and one not so controversial (but at the time I certainly felt I was against the tide!).

1) Gazza. I can't stand him. Great player no doubt, but I just don't get the hero worship or sympathy he gets from the football world in general, let alone Spurs fans. Genuine (or self inflicted) mental problems or not I always thought he was a clown, but he was never harmless. The two tackles in the FA Cup Final were a disgrace in that era, let alone compared to now. Had Vinnie Jones (or if you think now someone like Joey Barton) commited those tackles people would have been calling for half a season ban. But because it was good old hyped up Gazza he didn't even get booked, despite clearly going into those tackles with the intention of hurting his opponent. It's ironic that the nasty tackle on Charles actually ended up ruining his own career.

Then during his injury rehab he goes out and gets smashed (regularly) in a club, falls down and does his cruciate again just as he was on the road to recovery. The net result is costing Spurs millions just when we needed it most. During this era he also headbutts a stranger in a club after an altercation. The amount of times I heard people automatically jumping to Gazza's defence on that one, claiming he was "probably" provoked. I don't know if he was, or wasn't but this is a story I do know. The family of an old mate of mine run a fish n' chip shop and Gazza was at a health farm not far away (so naturally on a health retreat goes and gets fish and chips!). The queue is long, so Gazza decides he is too important to queue and barges to the front joking that because he is Gazza he needs to go first. When other people in the queue complain he gets abusive towards them. Nice.

Add to that he beat the brick out of his missus and thought that throwing eggs at complete strangers as he is driving past them in his car (read his autobiography for details on that hilarious event) and I don't care what other people say. He clearly wasn't just some unfortunate cheeky chappy with mental problems. He is a complete dingdong at best, and a nasty piece of work at worst.

2) Klinsmann. The complete mercenary and yet hero worshipped by so many. He has only ever had his own interests at heart. Which would be fine if he didn't give it the big one about how much he loved Spurs etc. He fudged us over at the end of 1995 by walking away (which prompted Popescu and Barmby to jack it in too, I often wonder how much better the 90's may have been at Klinsmann not done that). Let us not forget that before signing him his career had gone south and he flopped significantly in Italy and was in the doldrums playing football in France. He came to us and the hype surrounding the new Premier League re-sparked his ailing career and his reward is to walk away.

Of course at the time it was because he was fulfilling a dream by joining FC Bayern. He then fell out with them and ended up at Sampdoria where lack of playing time was making it look certain he was going to miss out on WC98. So in come Spurs, and he joins again claiming he is coming home etc etc BS BS. He talks about commiting to Spurs for two or three seasons but once the season is over and he gets his WC call up he has a change of heart citing that he doesn't get on with Gross (and apparently was a big instigator in a player revolt against him) and then retires and fudges off to America. Which was probably his plan before he joined us.

For me Klinsmann was a great player, but I'll never regard him as a Spurs legend because I don't think he gave a brick about the club. And when Francis took over in October 2004 IMO Teddy outshone him for the rest of the season anyway.

3) Robbie Keane. Not so controversial this one because over the years I have spoken to more than a few Spurs fans who felt the same but I just didn't rate the guy. His debut season of 2002/03 he looked good, with the exception his finishing was generally appalling. The amount of one on ones he missed that year was criminal. He always looked so much better playing off the shoulder of the last man IMO, but he has these illusions he could be a "number 10" style player. I thought he was really poor at it. I always felt Keane was one of those players that when he had the right partner they'd make him look so much better than he is, probably because the defenders are more worried about his partner and give him more room to play in. When Liverpool signed him (especially for the money they did) I pretty much laughed until I cried and was delighted he'd finally gone. I pretty much knew he'd flop. What I didn't count on is that we'd buy him back #-o

Any of you have any?

You won't hear a word of disagreement from me there mate. Especially with Gascoigne. A very weak individual. Self pitying. complete cretin. My well documented Harry hatred is probably controversial but there you go!!

No criticism of the player, but Blanchflower's quote about the game being about glory is a loser's quote. There is no glory in losing.

Erm... I though George Graham was unlucky in the 1999-2000 season in that he potentially had a very good midfield that didn't have the truly consistent clinical striker it deserved...I'm talking the midfield that at the beginning of that season had Leonhardsen, Sherwood, Anderton and Ginola...

I also think Sherwood was very underrated that season...8-[

Oh and I also though Moussa Saib was very underated and too good for our 1998 team.....

(....runs for cover....)

Les Ferdinand- do not see why our fans loved him so much. He was tinkle poor for us

Paul Robinson- "England's England's number 1" the crowd would chant no matter how many shocking performances he turned in for us. Some of the goals he conceded whilst wearing our colours were beyond embarassing! And the sheer volume of mistakes too! People got on Gomez's back quickly and gave him no time to settle in, whereas Robbo always got undying adulation and support.

Lee Young Pyo- Somehow a cult hero and people regard him as "consistent" and "solid" he was neither! Terribly one footed, not particularly good going forward, and most importantly a poor defender.

Levy- I think he is a good chairman, but I don't think he's anywhere near the best chairman in Europe as many on here have described him as. Any criticism of him is met with a barrage of abuse.

Paul Robinson- "England's England's number 1" the crowd would chant no matter how many shocking performances he turned in for us. Some of the goals he conceded whilst wearing our colours were beyond embarassing! And the sheer volume of mistakes too! People got on Gomez's back quickly and gave him no time to settle in, whereas Robbo always got undying adulation and support.

It got to a point where if anyone took a shot from more than 20 yards out I used to cringe...

Do you have any controversial views regarding Spurs, players past and present, managerial staff etc, that you feel totally fly in the face of the opinion of the vast majority of your Spurs brethren?

I have two significant ones and one not so controversial (but at the time I certainly felt I was against the tide!).

1) Gazza. I can't stand him. Great player no doubt, but I just don't get the hero worship or sympathy he gets from the football world in general, let alone Spurs fans. Genuine (or self inflicted) mental problems or not I always thought he was a clown, but he was never harmless. The two tackles in the FA Cup Final were a disgrace in that era, let alone compared to now. Had Vinnie Jones (or if you think now someone like Joey Barton) commited those tackles people would have been calling for half a season ban. But because it was good old hyped up Gazza he didn't even get booked, despite clearly going into those tackles with the intention of hurting his opponent. It's ironic that the nasty tackle on Charles actually ended up ruining his own career.

Then during his injury rehab he goes out and gets smashed (regularly) in a club, falls down and does his cruciate again just as he was on the road to recovery. The net result is costing Spurs millions just when we needed it most. During this era he also headbutts a stranger in a club after an altercation. The amount of times I heard people automatically jumping to Gazza's defence on that one, claiming he was "probably" provoked. I don't know if he was, or wasn't but this is a story I do know. The family of an old mate of mine run a fish n' chip shop and Gazza was at a health farm not far away (so naturally on a health retreat goes and gets fish and chips!). The queue is long, so Gazza decides he is too important to queue and barges to the front joking that because he is Gazza he needs to go first. When other people in the queue complain he gets abusive towards them. Nice.

Add to that he beat the brick out of his missus and thought that throwing eggs at complete strangers as he is driving past them in his car (read his autobiography for details on that hilarious event) and I don't care what other people say. He clearly wasn't just some unfortunate cheeky chappy with mental problems. He is a complete dingdong at best, and a nasty piece of work at worst.

2) Klinsmann. The complete mercenary and yet hero worshipped by so many. He has only ever had his own interests at heart. Which would be fine if he didn't give it the big one about how much he loved Spurs etc. He fudged us over at the end of 1995 by walking away (which prompted Popescu and Barmby to jack it in too, I often wonder how much better the 90's may have been at Klinsmann not done that). Let us not forget that before signing him his career had gone south and he flopped significantly in Italy and was in the doldrums playing football in France. He came to us and the hype surrounding the new Premier League re-sparked his ailing career and his reward is to walk away.

Of course at the time it was because he was fulfilling a dream by joining FC Bayern. He then fell out with them and ended up at Sampdoria where lack of playing time was making it look certain he was going to miss out on WC98. So in come Spurs, and he joins again claiming he is coming home etc etc BS BS. He talks about commiting to Spurs for two or three seasons but once the season is over and he gets his WC call up he has a change of heart citing that he doesn't get on with Gross (and apparently was a big instigator in a player revolt against him) and then retires and fudges off to America. Which was probably his plan before he joined us.

For me Klinsmann was a great player, but I'll never regard him as a Spurs legend because I don't think he gave a brick about the club. And when Francis took over in October 2004 IMO Teddy outshone him for the rest of the season anyway.

3) Robbie Keane. Not so controversial this one because over the years I have spoken to more than a few Spurs fans who felt the same but I just didn't rate the guy. His debut season of 2002/03 he looked good, with the exception his finishing was generally appalling. The amount of one on ones he missed that year was criminal. He always looked so much better playing off the shoulder of the last man IMO, but he has these illusions he could be a "number 10" style player. I thought he was really poor at it. I always felt Keane was one of those players that when he had the right partner they'd make him look so much better than he is, probably because the defenders are more worried about his partner and give him more room to play in. When Liverpool signed him (especially for the money they did) I pretty much laughed until I cried and was delighted he'd finally gone. I pretty much knew he'd flop. What I didn't count on is that we'd buy him back #-o

Any of you have any?

Can't really blame Klinsmann for leaving the first time round. He was clearly still a world class player after his stint with us, if Modric wanted to move on, no one would blame him.

You makes some good points about Gazza. But at the end of the day, people love winners. If an athlete is successful, most people will forgive/overlook anything! Look at Tiger Woods! Serial womaniser, boring, bad loser. People still love him. Mike Tyson, oh what a character! Never mind that he was convicted for rape and bit a bloke's ear off! He's now a film star! Michael Vick. NFL quarterback who served jail time for sanctioning dog fights! Utterly despicable behaviour, but he has regained his popularity since he got out of the clink.

Oh and I also though Moussa Saib was very underated and too good for our 1998 team.....

(....runs for cover....)

Moussa Saib, was a quality player, he was just unbelievably un fit, whenever he came on he created chances for us.

Re Graham's 1st 6 months, we weren't bad at all, but then he fudged off Ginola to Villa in the summer and produced without doubt the worst Spurs side i've seen the season after. He managed to take something half decent and completely destroy it and he's got no-one to blame but himself!

It got to a point where if anyone took a shot from more than 20 yards out I used to cringe...

Some fans say he was only bad for a season or two, I think he cost us at least 12 points in 05/06 the season of the lasagne.

I have a theory that he suffered from temporary blindness whenever a player shot from outside the area.

I lost count the amount of times I used to shout "DIVE" at him when he just stood there rooted whilst a shot trickled by him!

Completely agree with the views on Klinsmann. I cringe when I see him in all time Spurs line ups. There's nothing Spurs about him.

Some fans say he was only bad for a season or two, I think he cost us at least 12 points in 05/06 the season of the lasagne.

I have a theory that he suffered from temporary blindness whenever a player shot from outside the area.

I lost count the amount of times I used to shout "DIVE" at him when he just stood there rooted whilst a shot trickled by him!
I'm pretty sure I read at the time that they had sent him for eye tests. I think he used to react to the sound of the ball being kicked - the further out the shot, the greater the delay in hearing the sound of the shot/diving.

Here we go:

1) Ricky Villa's goal. I've tried but don't see the fuss. It just seems he goes round the same player three times.
2) Didn't think Sugar was as bad as some make out. Levy has got lucky with some absolutely hideous decisions, and who's to say AVB won't be another one?
3) My username. Dunno why, just enjoyed having a manager with the guts to make the divide, and he took no nonsense from our players.
4) Didn't hate Pleat
5) Loved Dominguez
6) Liked Chris Armstrong-he got a raw deal compared to that "legend" Ferdinand
7) Hoddle wrecked Rebrov-there was a player in there
8) Always felt i should dislike Campbell more than i do. Don't get me wrong, think he was a total ass, but i just don't get the evil, mental, vitriol.
9) Bale needs to remember at times it's not all about him.

No criticism of the player, but Blanchflower's quote about the game being about glory is a loser's quote. There is no glory in losing.
Didn't he also say as part of the same quote that it was about ".....going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom....."?

Not a loser's quote in my mind - more a quote to say you need to win the right way. Winning with dire 1-0 hoofball is..... well, brick!

Anyway, my summary.....

Chris Armstrong - I thought he was alright! Worked his tits off in many an away game, just ended up being..... well, not exactly prolific, was he?!

Ticketing priority - here's one that's guranteed to get a few backs up - always does when there's a "big" game and a shortage of tickets - season ticket holders get priority. Good. Deal with it!

Chris Waddle - rubbish. Never liked him.

(I made that last one up - I won't have a bad word said about Chris Waddle. I fudging hero-worshipped him. Couldn't go to school the day I found out he was off to Marseille...... brain frazzled after long day - can't think of any others right now.....)

Back