• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

You'll win nothing with kids...

Redknapp's transfer policy was widely criticised by a lot of people on here, but you forget he already had plenty of talented young players in Modric, Bale, Lennon etc. What we were lacking was leaders. The experienced heads our players could look up to. Think I remember him saying something along the lines of our squad being the quietist bunch of players he'd ever worked with. So in came Gudjohnsen, Gallas, Friedel and Parker, and our underperforming young squad suddenly embarked upon the most consistent period of league form since the 1960s.

He also brought in the likes of Keane, Van Der Vaart, Adebayor and Defoe, who obviously weren't AS experienced but were still big personalities within the squad. Looking at our current bunch now, who are the real characters? Who are leaders? One thing I have been impressed with under Poch is a filtering out of those who don't pull their weight, but regardless of work ethic, I am not seeing those who stand out amongst their peers as captain material.

Remember when Harry brought on Gudjohnsen away to Stoke in our successful 2009-10 run-in and he helped see out an important away win? I would have loved for an experienced head to come on and help in that way on Saturday. well, that and some fast paced attacking players who could have hit them on the counter as they pushed for an equaliser - but I've been regularly ranting about not having those in the squad for well over a year now so there's no point going over old ground.

-that- dummy was amazing. wanted to jizz my pants

I could live with the club saying "look here fellas, we have a stadium to fund and we'll do our best on the football side, but results may take a while." But nothing, not a word, other than that we're going after sub £15m sub-25 year olds, which in itself could be construed in so many different ways (are we building a team, or are we looking to make a profit on resale? to name a couple). And the result of that is that we're all in a tizzy theorizing about what "the plan" is when the bottom line is we haven't the foggiest.

I think that is a pretty clear statement. By buying sub-25 year olds we guarantee SOME return on them when we sell them. If they do well we will make a few million, if they don't we will lose a few million, but overall we should break even or make a profit IF we select players wisely and don't overpay too much. Also their wages should be lower because they are not yet superstars.

It surprised me when reporters said N'Jie will sextuple his wages by coming to Spurs. Sure I expected him to get a big pay rise e.g. double but sextuple is such a ludicrously huge pay hike I am not sure that can be true. Or necessary.

PS - When I see your name I can't help but hear Borat saying "I lick her ass" in his unique accent.

At this stage of my supporting career I am kind of sick of spending loads of money for over-rated nobodies who come in, stink the place up or look completely average. Over the last 10 years especially the turnover in players has been immense. Its getting hard to watch. They have no feelings for our club, and so we have no feelings for them.

I am all for this culling of over priced nobodies that dont want to put a shift it. As a team and a country for that matter we need to put more trust in our younger players than just buying in the latest guy that is on every ones lips. Supplement the side with real talent yes. Fill the squad out with Average Joe's, then no.

For me this summer we have bought some players I think we did not need. But of course im willing to go with the coaches plan to a degree as they should know better. But for every Trippier there is a Fredericks who could have got a chance. or for Alderweireld we could have stuck more with Dier. Im desperate almost for Pritchard to get a chance, im certain he can be better than both Chadli and Lamela. Mason Looks like he is growing already in what is just his second premier league season. McGee looked good in goal in the summer so lets let Vorm go or sell him.

For one it shows we are a club who give young players a chance. But also its cheaper on the wage bill. Thus allowing us to save more money towards Marquee players that will supplement the rest. Im all for buying Berahino as we dont have a young striker of the quality to step in for Kane. N;Jie could be another Townsend. And we have one of them already.

Our U-21's, U-18's and U-15's all seem to be on an upward curve. So the future looks bright.

I think that is a pretty clear statement. By buying sub-25 year olds we guarantee SOME return on them when we sell them. If they do well we will make a few million, if they don't we will lose a few million, but overall we should break even or make a profit IF we select players wisely and don't overpay too much. Also their wages should be lower because they are not yet superstars.

It surprised me when reporters said N'Jie will sextuple his wages by coming to Spurs. Sure I expected him to get a big pay rise e.g. double but sextuple is such a ludicrously huge pay hike I am not sure that can be true. Or necessary.

PS - When I see your name I can't help but hear Borat saying "I lick her ass" in his unique accent.

Genuinely find it sad that so many Spurs fans out there are just happy to tow the clubs line with this whole no ambition transfer targets based on resale. It's genuinely embarassing the lack of ambition and drive our club have right now. Lloris eriksen vertonghen will all want off next summer probably Kane too but it's ok we've got some 16 year old in the academy who apparently will replace them.

Jesus f***ing Christ, how many times does it have to be said, new stadium!

How is being sensible with the pennies ahead building the second largest club stadium, one of the most expensive in the World, an 'embarrassing lack of ambition'?

The stadium ALONE is reported as costing between £400m - 500m! Sorry mate but the spend you and others want just isn't possible. Even if a Sugar Daddy came in, made a title challenging team and payed for the stadium in full we'd be looking at a combined spend of roughly £800m - 1billion and that's after paying through the nose to get the club which be at least £500m.

Out of curiosity how would you go about finding such investment?

Genuinely find it sad that so many Spurs fans out there are just happy to tow the clubs line with this whole no ambition transfer targets based on resale. It's genuinely embarassing the lack of ambition and drive our club have right now. Lloris eriksen vertonghen will all want off next summer probably Kane too but it's ok we've got some 16 year old in the academy who apparently will replace them.
I know that Spurs can't afford enormous signings (fees or wages) so those signings are out of the question... after that we have a choice of journeymen, under 25s or over 30s coming to the end of their career, and I choose the middle option as we get resale value and they MIGHT become really good and they have energy. Note that SOME 25 year olds have a fair amount of experience in Holland/France/Austria etc.

At this stage of my supporting career I am kind of sick of spending loads of money for over-rated nobodies who come in, stink the place up or look completely average. Over the last 10 years especially the turnover in players has been immense. Its getting hard to watch. They have no feelings for our club, and so we have no feelings for them.

I am all for this culling of over priced nobodies that dont want to put a shift it. As a team and a country for that matter we need to put more trust in our younger players than just buying in the latest guy that is on every ones lips. Supplement the side with real talent yes. Fill the squad out with Average Joe's, then no.

For me this summer we have bought some players I think we did not need. But of course im willing to go with the coaches plan to a degree as they should know better. But for every Trippier there is a Fredericks who could have got a chance. or for Alderweireld we could have stuck more with Dier. Im desperate almost for Pritchard to get a chance, im certain he can be better than both Chadli and Lamela. Mason Looks like he is growing already in what is just his second premier league season. McGee looked good in goal in the summer so lets let Vorm go or sell him.

For one it shows we are a club who give young players a chance. But also its cheaper on the wage bill. Thus allowing us to save more money towards Marquee players that will supplement the rest. Im all for buying Berahino as we dont have a young striker of the quality to step in for Kane. N;Jie could be another Townsend. And we have one of them already.

Our U-21's, U-18's and U-15's all seem to be on an upward curve. So the future looks bright.

I agree with most of what you have said. I think there is an element of trust that we need to place in Poch with regards to the signings. In his mind Fredericks wasn't good enough. Trippier has, in their eyes, a higher ceiling so they are therefore trying to improve the squad. The thing with signings though is that there are no guarantees so it could equally go the other way. However, if the presence of Trippier has the same effect on Walker as Davies did on Rose, then ultimately we are the winner. What you are saying about the signings is absolutely correct. N'Jie could very well be another Townsend, but another £30m signing could be another Lamela.

I absolutely agree with you that we need to be giving our youth a chance. But we have to be patient and not overreact to when they don't meet our expectations which seem to be quite high for any youngster.

Ultimately I agree with the club's overall strategy i.e. improve the scouting, buy young players with potential to supplement some very good young players. Add in some decent international experience of Lloris, Vertonghen and Alderweireld and we have the makings of a squad for years to come. Off the field, I think the club is making great strides in making us more competitive. The increased TV deal from next year will mean more foreign signings as the EPL will be the place to go for the extra wages.

What it needs is a bit of faith and some support. Comments like the last one from @WestBerkshire, whilst I understand the frustration I just don't see what "showing ambition" is any more. When we signed those 7 players, was that showing ambition. If we signed a 29 or 28 year old in the prime of their career for £26m is that showing ambition. I think showing ambition is having a plan to challenge the big boys and enacting that plan. I don't see the club accepting our current position, but it is a monumental task to challenge the top 5 clubs bearing in mind the difference in finances. And we are already doing that. The club is making sure that we are going to be in a position to be one of the big boys and that to me is showing ambition.

From a starting point of breaking even we should spend more money and reduce ticket prices.

genius.png

I agree with most of what you have said. I think there is an element of trust that we need to place in Poch with regards to the signings. In his mind Fredericks wasn't good enough. Trippier has, in their eyes, a higher ceiling so they are therefore trying to improve the squad. The thing with signings though is that there are no guarantees so it could equally go the other way. However, if the presence of Trippier has the same effect on Walker as Davies did on Rose, then ultimately we are the winner. What you are saying about the signings is absolutely correct. N'Jie could very well be another Townsend, but another £30m signing could be another Lamela.

I absolutely agree with you that we need to be giving our youth a chance. But we have to be patient and not overreact to when they don't meet our expectations which seem to be quite high for any youngster.

Ultimately I agree with the club's overall strategy i.e. improve the scouting, buy young players with potential to supplement some very good young players. Add in some decent international experience of Lloris, Vertonghen and Alderweireld and we have the makings of a squad for years to come. Off the field, I think the club is making great strides in making us more competitive. The increased TV deal from next year will mean more foreign signings as the EPL will be the place to go for the extra wages.

What it needs is a bit of faith and some support. Comments like the last one from @WestBerkshire, whilst I understand the frustration I just don't see what "showing ambition" is any more. When we signed those 7 players, was that showing ambition. If we signed a 29 or 28 year old in the prime of their career for £26m is that showing ambition. I think showing ambition is having a plan to challenge the big boys and enacting that plan. I don't see the club accepting our current position, but it is a monumental task to challenge the top 5 clubs bearing in mind the difference in finances. And we are already doing that. The club is making sure that we are going to be in a position to be one of the big boys and that to me is showing ambition.

Yes I go along with all of that. In fact I have way more patience with the young players than I do for the overpaid mid level garbage. Thankfully we have got rid of most of those. But take Mason for example and Benteleb. People are already on their backs. Mason had some off games but I thought he looked very good against Stoke. Bentelebs game is off, but he is only 20 and its his second season. I suppose what I want more than anything now is the younger guys who have done a fair bit at a lower level to be prominent in our managers thoughts.

I want to see Pritchard in the team, I would like to see Carroll come on instead of Lamela for example. Alli has shown the big stage does not scare him. Im kind of dissapointed we loaned Oduwa out for a whole season but after seeing how Warburton worked with Pritchard im happy to see that it will help him.

Jesus f***ing Christ, how many times does it have to be said, new stadium!

How is being sensible with the pennies ahead building the second largest club stadium, one of the most expensive in the World, an 'embarrassing lack of ambition'?

The stadium ALONE is reported as costing between £400m - 500m! Sorry mate but the spend you and others want just isn't possible. Even if a Sugar Daddy came in, made a title challenging team and payed for the stadium in full we'd be looking at a combined spend of roughly £800m - 1billion and that's after paying through the nose to get the club which be at least £500m.

Out of curiosity how would you go about finding such investment?

The sad part mate is you don't even need to bring the stadium into play, AGAIN, here is the facts over last 6 years

- 3 clubs who have won the PL = wages & buys = 1.1 - 1.3B (yep, that's Billion pounds)
- 2 clubs we compete with for 4th = Scum, 900M+, Pool, 800M+
- Spurs = 420M

The lack of ambition comment is just flimflam, sorry, you are jealous your neighbors bought a Ferrari, you not owning one is not a lack of ambition, it's you don't have the fudging money.

Truth is we could double our spend and still not match 5 other sides, so what would we achive other than putting the club in a poor fiscal position? FYI .. Stoke/West Ham/QPR/Sunderland's spend as example is much closer to ours than ours is too any above us.

The sad part mate is you don't even need to bring the stadium into play, AGAIN, here is the facts over last 6 years

- 3 clubs who have won the PL = wages & buys = 1.1 - 1.3B (yep, that's Billion pounds)
- 2 clubs we compete with for 4th = Scum, 900M+, Pool, 800M+
- Spurs = 420M

The lack of ambition comment is just hogwash, sorry, you are jealous your neighbors bought a Ferrari, you not owning one is not a lack of ambition, it's you don't have the fudgeing money.

Truth is we could double our spend and still not match 5 other sides, so what would we achive other than putting the club in a poor fiscal position? FYI .. Stoke/West Ham/QPR/Sunderland's spend as example is much closer to ours than ours is too any above us.

To be honest, I am not expecting a top 4 finish any time in the next 5 years, maybe even longer. But I am worried about us falling behind the likes of Stoke, Southampton and dare I say it West Ham. Granted we don't have the money to throw around to challenge the top 4, but we HAVE to consolidate our top 6 finishes until we move into the new stadium, I can't see us getting close to filling it if we are around 8th-10th when we move in.

To be honest, I am not expecting a top 4 finish any time in the next 5 years, maybe even longer. But I am worried about us falling behind the likes of Stoke, Southampton and dare I say it West Ham. Granted we don't have the money to throw around to challenge the top 4, but we HAVE to consolidate our top 6 finishes until we move into the new stadium, I can't see us getting close to filling it if we are around 8th-10th when we move in.

I agree with that. The gap between us and the top 4 is much bigger than the gap between us and the rest of the teams below us. I think Levy has said as much so if we have a similar season to last season, I will be delighted.

I agree with that. The gap between us and the top 4 is much bigger than the gap between us and the rest of the teams below us. I think Levy has said as much so if we have a similar season to last season, I will be delighted.

Me too. I would even accept a 6th place finish even if it means falling behind Liverpool.

Me too. I would even accept a 6th place finish even if it means falling behind Liverpool.

This is the main reason why I feel we need to concentrate on trophies, not top four. It's not just because I feel we have a better chance of being successful or the competition in the Prem is too strong, it's because from a purely footballing perspective it is more rewarding, both for the players and us fans.

Last year we had a squad that was 1/3 Good or above, 1/3 inexperienced and 1/3 sh!t yet we got to a cup final, the reason for us finishing 5th was because of the collapse of the teams above us.

This is the main reason why I feel we need to concentrate on trophies, not top four. It's not just because I feel we have a better chance of being successful or the competition in the Prem is too strong, it's because from a purely footballing perspective it is more rewarding, both for the players and us fans.

Last year we had a squad that was 1/3 Good or above, 1/3 inexperienced and 1/3 sh!t yet we got to a cup final, the reason for us finishing 5th was because of the collapse of the teams above us.

I do agree that we should be aiming to do well in the cups, but in some ways that is harder than the league because one bad game and you're out. However, if we did win a cup, I'd hope that would bring some feel good factor. However, given some of the criticism, I think that would be short lived!

Also, a collapse of teams above you will not mean that you will finish 5th. We finished 5th because we were the 5th best team. Liverpool didn't perform as they should have and suffered with the fact that they had bought a lot of players with the Suarez money.

I do agree that we should be aiming to do well in the cups, but in some ways that is harder than the league because one bad game and you're out. However, if we did win a cup, I'd hope that would bring some feel good factor. However, given some of the criticism, I think that would be short lived!

Also, a collapse of teams above you will not mean that you will finish 5th. We finished 5th because we were the 5th best team. Liverpool didn't perform as they should have and suffered with the fact that they had bought a lot of players with the Suarez money.

You're right about finishing 5th tbf but I don't agree with a short feel good factor, look at Aletico Madrid, although they're in a league with 2 conglomerates not 4 or 5.

I always put our top four finish in 2010 down to the cup finals in the 2 seasons prior, which laid the foundations for CL qualification. I always get the feeling that when we had that hellish looking two weeks in April that year when we had to play Arse, Chelsea and Man Utd the players turned around to each other and said "We can do this, remember two years ago when we faced and completed the same task with Goons in the S/F and then Chelsea at Wembley? We can do it again" Always felt those cup finals did us good, such a shame they were short lived.

You're right about finishing 5th tbf but I don't agree with a short feel good factor, look at Aletico Madrid, although they're in a league with 2 conglomerates not 4 or 5.

I always put our top four finish in 2010 down to the cup finals in the 2 seasons prior, which laid the foundations for CL qualification. I always get the feeling that when we had that hellish looking two weeks in April that year when we had to play Arse, Chel53a and Man Utd the players turned around to each other and said "We can do this, remember two years ago when we faced and completed the same task with Goons in the S/F and then Chel53a at Wembley? We can do it again" Always felt those cup finals did us good, such a shame they were short lived.

Completely agree with you. A good cup run gives confidence. I really want to see us smash a team and score more than 5. It's been a while since I have seen us do that live!

With the exception of Liverpool I can't really see any of the teams below us have sustained level of success to keep finishing above us. One year, maybe. two, no chance. The manager or best players would be poached or unsettled and they would drift back down.

Jesus you are getting as bad as DS with your one track posting and negativity.

Back