• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOU are the manager

Surely you do not blame Defoe for us getting 3 goals scored against us. Usually we score 1 time in the league, so let's say the end result would have been 1-3 would that make you happier?

No the point I was attempting to make was that Soldado isn't the problem (in my opinion) it what happens in midfield. So changing the striker isn't likely to fix the problem any more than saying "we're not getting any goals so ewe ought to start with a different goalkeeper".

I don't think Defoe is as potent a striker in the PL as Soldado, so putting him in against West Ham was a surprise to me (and to the other Spurs supporters I spoke to at the game.)

We can start getting into serious Alice-in-Wonderland territory here, but suppose Soldado had scored in the first ten minutes of the second half. Even if they had scored from the corner (which came from us giving the ball away stupidly in midfield, I seem to remember), I doubt very much we'd have thrown caution to the wind in the same way, so their 2 breakaway goals may well have not happened. So, in reality, I think it was more likely to be 1-1.

First of all both our central midfielders, if you can call them that, i am absolutely sure they are defensive midfielders, and are better at destroying than creating. Look at other teams who they have in that position for example Barcelona have Xavi, not saying we should get Xavi, but someone with similar skills, creating passing. Second if you do have 2 defensive midfielders you NEED goal scoring attacking midfielders. Real Madrid for example get away with having 2 defensive midfielders because they have class in the AMC, AMR and AML. With Benzema scoring heavily as well. We DO NOT HAVE GREAT AMC,AMR AND AML, not class at least. Third If you play 4-2-3-1, like we do, and the CMs are actually DMs, like we have, you are putting a great attention to your defensive game. Concentrating on defensive play, you will have fewer attacks and not so many players up, most of them being on the counter attack because with that excellent defensive play you recover the ball and go for attack. How much are we prepared to go counter attack? Have you seen us doing a proper counter attack and score goals ??

No the point I was attempting to make was that Soldado isn't the problem (in my opinion) it what happens in midfield. So changing the striker isn't likely to fix the problem any more than saying "we're not getting any goals so ewe ought to start with a different goalkeeper".

I don't think Defoe is as potent a striker in the PL as Soldado, so putting him in against West Ham was a surprise to me (and to the other Spurs supporters I spoke to at the game.)

We can start getting into serious Alice-in-Wonderland territory here, but suppose Soldado had scored in the first ten minutes of the second half. Even if they had scored from the corner (which came from us giving the ball away stupidly in midfield, I seem to remember), I doubt very much we'd have thrown caution to the wind in the same way, so their 2 breakaway goals may well have not happened. So, in reality, I think it was more likely to be 1-1.
Yes Soldado is not the problem, or at least the biggest one, it's clearly the midfield not creating enough. But Soldado hasn't exactly shined the few times he did get the ball in a goal scoring position.

All of our tactics are focused on stopping the opposition playing. Listen to any AVB pre-match interview and always talks about stopping them.
Those same tactics, the high line, two defensive midfielders, inverted wingers, one up front, width coming from deep all do one thing, they constrict the space. Great for stopping the opposition, but the enevitable consequence is your own attacking players having no space either. It's very easy for the opposition to get behind the ball and stay solid, some will call it parking the bus, but it's because we can't inject any pace into our attack and stretch them. We're very easy to defend against.
We're aiming to nick a goal and keep a clean sheet.

Those tactics last year, produced a very similar result to what we're currently seeing, with the one difference, Bale kept scoring from deep.

If I was manager, I'd trust my players to play football. I'd look to create space, rather than constrict it. Give our wealth of attacking talent room to show us what they can do.
I'd abandon the high defensive line, I'd look to draw teams forward and win the ball deeper, allowing us to attack at pace and put the opposition on the back foot.
I wouldn't play two defensive midfielders against bottom teams. I wouldn't line up with inverted wingers.
I'd spend every training session working on attacking play. Set pieces, corners, creating chances for the striker.
My emphasis would be on scoring goals rather than deliberately turning the game into a turgid stalemate.
Reintroduce some 'to do is to dare' back into the club.

Milo - don't confuse a vocal minority with the entire fanbase. If a load of people on here are whining, there are a load of people quite content and vice versa. Big decisions like playing the second string in Europe will elicit moans, but so does playing first teamers in Uzbekistan. I would play the second string. It is great experience for the younger players and good training for those coming back from injuries and subs that aren't getting game time.

Gutterboy - I agree Eriksen and Lamela must be the end goal, above Lennon and Townsend. They have much more skill, awareness, cuteness. If we are playing on the break I like Townsend and Lennon, but not if we are dominating.

Pirate - yes, we need to sort out corners - it was no surprise whatsoever that Caulker scored yesterday, he attacks them with real determination and makes it happen.

Lots of rational and reasonable comments in here so far
, quite rare!

An excellent point, and one which I myself should pay attention to. I forget that t'internet tends to accentuate the squeaky wheels so-to-speak!

And yes, a great thread. I think we all sometimes forget that we support the same side and only want the best…

I said a few days I believed AVB would pick Holtby again, but I don't think we needed all 11 players to run their ******** off, we had Sandro, Paulinho, Lennon and co to do that, Eriksen and Sig both looked good when they came on.

You did indeed, and were right. AVB went for the graft and emotion of Holtby, who for me is officially the new Freundy! As I said elsewhere I'd have started Sig…Eriksen and Lamela are both wonderful players and I don't disagree that we must find a place for them and soon. I have to think they know what they're doing with Lamela and must be seeing something in his development which needs adjusting...

You did indeed, and were right. AVB went for the graft and emotion of Holtby, who for me is officially the new Freundy! As I said elsewhere I'd have started Sig…Eriksen and Lamela are both wonderful players and I don't disagree that we must find a place for them and soon. I have to think they know what they're doing with Lamela and must be seeing something in his development which needs adjusting...

Yeah I'm not saying Lamela should start every game, but he doesn't even get on as sub in the league games now. He's going to be under more pressure to deliver if he only gets the odd few minutes here and there.

Yeah I'm not saying Lamela should start every game, but he doesn't even get on as sub in the league games now. He's going to be under more pressure to deliver if he only gets the odd few minutes here and there.

Why does it have to be league games?

Lamela played 120 minutes against a Hull side that was virtually identical to the one we saw at the weekend, how would that have differed to the League? (Other then the obvious additional 30 minutes and penalty shoot out)

I agree on the general one inside one outside winger theme on here, however that would still leave us with a conundrum. The inside forward would have to be on the left, as Walker is our only attacking full back at the moment, so the winger would have to be on the left.

The only winger we have for the left is Townsend. This move would leave us with 3 or 4 players who would no longer really fit into the system(as a first choice or understudy).

Last edited:
I wouldn't change much, bar beyond maybe giving Lennon more time out of the team before making him play left wing. I think he can play it but I think it needs more adaptation, and since Sig is playing well it's fair to give him a chance. Then again as Sig played all 120 mins against Hull it is likely it was more a rotation thing against Everton.

On a similar subject, I worry for Chadli. I think he has talent but we need to either let him or Lennon go in January, depending on how well Lennon learns to play the role. Sig has played his way in and has shown his value.

I think this would be interesting:

---------------Ade----------------

Andros------Erikson-----Lamela

-------Sandro---Demb/Paul----

Obviously I'm looking at Ade with rose tinted glasses, but his 1st season form could really make a difference to us. If in need of a goal, it would also be interesting to see Soldado thrown on alongside Ade. I've only seen glimses of Lamela but he's got something and very highly rated by those that have seen him more, it's time for him to get involved IMO.

I dunno maybe it wouldn't increase our creativity either, but it just feels like we have the options available to us, it's finding the one that clicks and complements each other best.

edit: Andros on the left because the only attacking FB we have at the minute is Walker and it balances it a bit better that way, I think he can play left wing just as well as right tbh, he seems two footed enough.

I wouldn't change much, bar beyond maybe giving Lennon more time out of the team before making him play left wing. I think he can play it but I think it needs more adaptation, and since Sig is playing well it's fair to give him a chance. Then again as Sig played all 120 mins against Hull it is likely it was more a rotation thing against Everton.

On a similar subject, I worry for Chadli. I think he has talent but we need to either let him or Lennon go in January, depending on how well Lennon learns to play the role. Sig has played his way in and has shown his value.

ive liked what ive seen from Chadli in the little time he's had and i think he'll become first choice on the left by the end of the season - whether he'll make the position his own or not is a different matter - but i see the three new guys (Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela) as the eventual support players for Soldado.

so is Townsend now a genuine inverted winger or is there anything to be said for him playing a traditional LW role again?

Here is my home team for my first game as manager

Lloris

Walker Chiriches Verts Rose

Townsend Sandro Paulinho Siggy

Ade Soldado

Townsend and Sigurdsson - you've been complaining about width iirc and you'd play two players who'd come inside naturally in the wide midfield positions thus continuing the current problems (no width/too many players congesting the middle of the pitch)

If you're insistent on 442 then surely Townsend on the left/Lennon on the right would be the better option, no?

Townsend and Sigurdsson

Nothing could be further from the truth. Did not the Sigg score the goal of the month from the left? He and Andros coming in to shoot or putting in great crosses (when there are men in the box) have been the great plusses for the season.

Townsend and Sigurdsson - you've been complaining about width iirc and you'd play two players who'd come inside naturally in the wide midfield positions thus continuing the current problems (no width/too many players congesting the middle of the pitch)

If you're insistent on 442 then surely Townsend on the left/Lennon on the right would be the better option, no?

I have never complained about width (and neither has the missus ;)) You must have me mistaken with someone else.

I think Townsend cutting in is a great option. he is totally unpredictable, inside, outside, cutting in and Walker has often kept the width.

I don't know how good Chadli can be. If he is very good I would pick him instead of Siggy.. but as I have only just got the manager's job I do not want to risk the sack by making a risky selection.

:lol: fair enough

my team (once i got everyone settled and up to speed) fwiw

-----------------Lloris
Walker Vertongen Chirces Rose
----------------Sandro
-----------Paulhino Eriksen
----Lamela----------------Chadli
-----------------Soldado

Walker providing width as Lamela plays the inside forward role, Rose supporting the more natural wide player in front of him - Eriksen starting from deeper as im led to believe how he mostly played for Ajax, Paulhino given less defensive responsibilities and encouraged to get in the box to support the forward and fashion himself chances also. Sandro to shield the center backs/offer cover when Walker and Rose get forward

I have never complained about width (and neither has the missus ;)) You must have me mistaken with someone else.

I think Townsend cutting in is a great option. he is totally unpredictable, inside, outside, cutting in and Walker has often kept the width.

I don't know how good Chadli can be. If he is very good I would pick him instead of Siggy.. but as I have only just got the manager's job I do not want to risk the sack by making a risky selection.

Would 4-4-2 be your long term preferred formation?

Back