• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

( . Y . ) Tottenham v Chelsea | OMT ( . Y . )

I think part of the statistics is fooling us. A lot of shots are taken from outside the area, yet they will be compared with shots in the area. There should be a separate category for 'dangerous shot' or 'shot outside the area'. Who would set the rules for which is why is open to debate. But it's like if we have ten half chances, including shots from outside the area, and the opponents have three one-on-one chances then of course it is likely that the opponents can score more/equal with less shots.

That can alter perception of our Wembley games. We seemed to have a lot of shots from outside the area yesterday. So smaller percentage to score.

Oh and as for our corners. I read an interesting statistic earlier. Only 12% of corners lead to a shot on goal. Only 2% are scored. So maybe not so surprising that our corners were mostly crap yesterday.
Hence why Chelsea had the better of the Expected Goals yesterday...

Can but wish that Kane was presented with an absolute sitter, like this one that Morata fluffed in the 5th minute.

Wanyama was a match fitness thing imo, and a one off. By far the worst game I've seen him have.

Hugo, imo, doesn't have many below par performances but when he does, they seem to be when we play good teams in the 'big games.' I think it's fair to highlight that. You'll notice that those of us who have discussed that in this thread don't advocate selling Hugo or whatever, I for one acknowledge that I don't think we could get a better goal-keeper, the handful of better ones play for much bigger teams than us. I've talked before in other threads that I don't think Hugo's distribution is that great (whatever pass completion stats might say) and that seems to be more of an issue in these types of games. The throw to Wanyama was a poor decision imo and getting done at the near post is never great for a goalkeeper, I think he himself would be disappointed with that.

Let's break it down since you seem to think no one is

- Wanyama was fitness probably, but Dier played Poch's hand by getting an early yellow.
- To say that any player finds it tougher against better teams would seem to be an obvious statement, they are playing against higher quality, pressure likely to be on for longer periods of the game. My issue with the Lloris criticisms are the belief that other top level keepers don't make mistakes.

Let's really look at what cost us

- Silly foul by Dele that led to free kick. If you look at the free kick itself, if Toby & Kane had switched positions in wall, Kane would have headed that over.
- The second goal, main issue was Wanyama giveaway, secondarily Hugo could have held on to ball longer and calmed the game down, we were obviously believing we could win it. Re the actual shot itself, 9 times out of 10, Alonso crosses that, he decided to bang it directly at Hugo, scores, if Hugo had saved it, we would have said great save. How many of those Harry/Son scored last season? we didn't say the opposition keeper was brick.

At the top, its a game of fine margins, we found ourselves on the wrong end of that this time, nothing more.

In the past, better teams have let us control the game, give sense of false control and had another gear when they wanted. That was not the case yesterday, Chelsea was holding on at moments (end of first half example), lots of last ditch blocks/tackles, David Luis gad the best game I have ever seen from him and they needed it to not be overrun.

This isn't about real fans, its about an appeal to not overreact, we are a good team, 1 loss against the champions doesn't change that.

See, so we had an xG of 0.92 compared to Chelsea's 0.94, as such, this brings the game back closer. We should have expected the 1-1 draw, not the 2-1 loss that was suffered. I like the statistic as I think it's a lot more reflective of the game.

There are better keepers, but not sure we can afford them short term, I think he will see us into the the new stadium as No.1
s-l300.jpg

There are better keepers, but not sure we can afford them short term, I think he will see us into the the new stadium as No.1

Unlikely ever, Hugo has to be in top 5-7 keepers in the world, there are 10 more clubs in the world that make more money, spend more money and can attract higher tier players due to winning stuff more regularly than us.

The fact that he, Eriksen & Kane are still here is likely more to do with the fact that they have told their agents they are not interested in pushing a move more than anything Spurs has done.

Nor longer term I wouldn't think. There are not too many better than Lloris and certainly none that we could attract IMO.

Everytime I see Neuer play he fudges up at least once. Mistakes happen all the time even to best of them. I'd like to see Lloris retire as a Spurs legend.

Last edited:
So angry.

We are so mentally weak against them.

David Luiz is a clam but the difference in mental strength between him and Wanyama was the difference in the sides.

We can play all the football we like but if we don't believe we will win there is frankly no point.

Come on. IF you want to hang blame, hang it on Poch for not subbing him!!!! He should only have played 60-65 at most! First full match in months!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Come on. IF you want to hang blame, hang it on Poch for not subbing him!!!! He should only have played 60-65 at most! First full match in months!

Well, actually Dier for getting the yellow that would have had some influence on if Poch took Wanyama or him off.

Do say, David Luiz had a good game, but not sure where his (and the rest of Chelsea's) mental strength was last week?

Funny, we go after Lloris, Eriksen, Wanyama for having the occasional off game, people like Luiz/Hazard/Mahrez have entire brick seasons and people still rate them.

Jenas is spot on. No runners attacking..just pass pass pass!

It does but it has as much to do with how Chelsea set-up. Deep. Not much room behind unless To y was going to launch one, which is where we lacked the pace for an option. They also made sure that whoever was on the ball centrally was immediately forced to check, they separated Kane, Alli and Eriksen too. Davies and Trippier were playing very high, they were looking, but the issue was speed of initial movement. Tis why I thought the game was crying out for Winks.

I like to see fans sticking up for players, Hugo has been good keeper and I'm not advocating getting rid any time soon.
We cannot afford mistakes from anybody at our supposed level, sadly for Hugo goalkeepers are in the firing line more than any other.
Hugo has a diminishing value to the club, that plus costing us points will not be overlooked by Levy and Poch.

We have to toughen up as a club over mistakes, we must not just shrugg and say oh well this or that player are good Spurs lads, we must get tough and stop dropping points through errors.

Well, actually Dier for getting the yellow that would have had some influence on if Poch took Wanyama or him off.

Do say, David Luiz had a good game, but not sure where his (and the rest of Chelsea's) mental strength was last week?

Funny, we go after Lloris, Eriksen, Wanyama for having the occasional off game, people like Luiz/Hazard/Mahrez have entire brick seasons and people still rate them.

I am not sure Luiz and Hazard had a brick season last season.

Take the Spurs goggles off @Raziel

I am not sure Luiz and Hazard had a brick season last season.

No, but his (Hazard) last 3 were basically -> player of season -> worst player of season -> player of season
Luiz had a mare a few seasons ago and basically was a disaster in the PL, everyone thought it was the funniest thing Conte bringing him back ..

Point again, all players make mistakes, have bad form runs, just fans see their own players week in, week out and only highlight reels of others or the one game (against their team) were the player performs.

No, but his (Hazard) last 3 were basically -> player of season -> worst player of season -> player of season
Luiz had a mare a few seasons ago and basically was a disaster in the PL, everyone thought it was the funniest thing Conte bringing him back ..

Point again, all players make mistakes, have bad form runs, just fans see their own players week in, week out and only highlight reels of others or the one game (against their team) were the player performs.

True... but Hazard and Sideshow have got to pick up the Premier League trophy when they've had good seasons whilst our lads still have no silverware to show for their more consistent performances over the same period.

Take the Spurs goggles off @Raziel

Mate, sorry, this team that "isn't good enough" has more points in the PL over the last 2 seasons than any other, not 2nd/3rd/6th, 1st, more than teams with legitimate world class players earning 200K+/week.

When we were 6th and used to talk about being close to the top sides, we were deluded (like Pool is now) and wearing Spurs goggles. But the fact is, we have scored more, conceded less, gained more points than everyone else over 76 games, unfortunately not perfectly aligned to the 38 games of each season.

Not sure what you think was Rose tinted? my comments about Hazard (the season Cheat$ki didn't finish in top 8? and he scored his first in March?), Luiz? really, this fudging guy was a clown show in the PL 3 years ago, Mahrez? where the fudge was he last season after being Leicester's difference maker? The only player in Spurs colours still with club who has had a similar bad run of form as any of those 3 and is still a key part of first 11 is Danny Rose.

It does but it has as much to do with how Chelsea set-up. Deep. Not much room behind unless To y was going to launch one, which is where we lacked the pace for an option. They also made sure that whoever was on the ball centrally was immediately forced to check, they separated Kane, Alli and Eriksen too. Davies and Trippier were playing very high, they were looking, but the issue was speed of initial movement. Tis why I thought the game was crying out for Winks.

Even when Toby pings them for Alli, it's not about pace.

It's about Alli timing his run off the shoulder.

Anyway, pace can only do so much against a deep defence. It's more pace of movement of the ball.

True... but Hazard and Sideshow have got to pick up the Premier League trophy when they've had good seasons whilst our lads still have no silverware to show for their more consistent performances over the same period.

Fair, but luck/injuries/fixtures often make a difference. Cheat$ki are a very good team (aided by no European football due to their dire previous year performance), but do you want to really argue Leicester was nothing more than a fluke? good luck, good fixtures and other sides taking it "easy" (at least not hating them and making half their games cup finals).

Anyway, seems that stating my case that our team and players isn't brick because we lost 2-1 in a game that Chelsea couldn't manage 40% possession makes me the guy wearing rose tinted glasses and some kind of happy clapper ... whatever ...

Fair, but luck/injuries/fixtures often make a difference. Cheat$ki are a very good team (aided by no European football due to their dire previous year performance), but do you want to really argue Leicester was nothing more than a fluke? good luck, good fixtures and other sides taking it "easy" (at least not hating them and making half their games cup finals).

Anyway, seems that stating my case that our team and players isn't brick because we lost 2-1 in a game that Chelsea couldn't manage 40% possession makes me the guy wearing rose tinted glasses and some kind of happy clapper ... whatever ...

Leicester was a once in a generation fluke / lightning in a bottle and Chelsea were fortunate to have no European fixtures to stretch their squad last season but teams that dominate possession don't automatically deserve to win games, as Brenton and the Bin Dippers discovered.

We played well enough to beat most sides yesterday but Chavski didn't allow us any clear cut chances and teams that can win ugly (unfortunately for us) tend to be the ones that pick up the title.

Yes chelski played it tight . typical Italian defence system and they have been World experts at this.
if you can attack the opposition defence head on they will be at sixes and sevens and they can be pulled out of position. Jenas,s point. Maybe we have lost some of the confidence the media had been going on about last couple of seasons...Tottenham not being push overs anymore. We must keep this mentality and believe ...
CoySpurs...

Mate, sorry, this team that "isn't good enough" has more points in the PL over the last 2 seasons than any other, not 2nd/3rd/6th, 1st, more than teams with legitimate world class players earning 200K+/week.

When we were 6th and used to talk about being close to the top sides, we were deluded (like Pool is now) and wearing Spurs goggles. But the fact is, we have scored more, conceded less, gained more points than everyone else over 76 games, unfortunately not perfectly aligned to the 38 games of each season.

Not sure what you think was Rose tinted? my comments about Hazard (the season Cheat$ki didn't finish in top 8? and he scored his first in March?), Luiz? really, this fudging guy was a clown show in the PL 3 years ago, Mahrez? where the fudge was he last season after being Leicester's difference maker? The only player in Spurs colours still with club who has had a similar bad run of form as any of those 3 and is still a key part of first 11 is Danny Rose.

See where you coming from but IMHO Hazard is truly world class, Luiz is a very good player also. Mahrez is an excellent player who I would love at Spurs. Form goes up and down you are as good as your last game which is a little harsh on some. Last season is history!
Yesterday we were about 70% fitness as a team with Wanyama and to lesser extent Trippier not fit.
Nothing wrong with our team when EVERYBODY is at it, with no basic errors!

Back