• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wwwwdwdlwww

It is kind of strange seeing some of our fans almost expecting us to win every match and challenge the top teams in the country. This is definitely the most successful span in my lifetime supporting Spurs certainly if you are a glory hunter supporting Spurs is not for you!

That's not to say it isn't frustrating to see us fail to break "lesser" teams down from time to time but I think people easily forget where we have come from. I can remember just like 10-15 years ago we struggled to beat anyone and struggled to finish in the top half season after season. There is a lot to like about the direction of the club, we have developed a self sufficient transfer policy of selling to buy and promoting players from our youth system who are actually quality. I for one am enjoying the ride and hopefully we have a cup final to look forward to soon!

I remember how happy we were when we first believed we were going to qualify for Europe for the first time under Jol (after a decade+ without)

Then = We are going European tour
Now = put out the kids, ****pot cup, etc.

I remember how happy we were when we first believed we were going to qualify for Europe for the first time under Jol (after a decade+ without)

Very much so it is quite sad really how some of our fan base deem us "too good" for Europa League. Sometimes I think our CL season was a bit of a curse as it has left a large chunk of our fans deeming anything less than CL qualification a failure on the season.

Last edited:
I've actually enjoyed watching us steadily rise up the placings in UEFA's club co-efficient table. It let's me know how worthwhile it is to dream of CL qualification. We'd get a better draw now than our first effort, though that worked out very well.

Very much so it is quite sad really how some of our fan base deem us "too good" for Europa League. Sometimes I think our CL season was a bit of a curse as it has left a large chunk of our fans deeming anything less than CL qualification a failure on the season.

Eh. I enjoyed the happier, bouncier times of mediocrity, coming as they did without any expectations. But if our remit as a club is to be forever mediocre because that doesn't engender any expectations of success or improvement, then there is little point in claiming to be a team aiming high or eternally targeting glory. Give up the ghost, disown ourselves of the visionaries like Bill Nick and Arthur Rowe, take down those 'the game is about glory' hoardings, and settle comfortably into a mediocre life spent bobbing up and down between 7th and 14th like some higher-class version of Everton or Saudi Sportswashing Machine. So why don't we do that?

Whether you like it or not, the DNA of this club has inbuilt into it the expectations of going for glory, and aiming as high as we possibly can in the expectation that even our likely failure to reach those highs will still echo in history. Bill Nick gifted us that DNA. It is part of the ethos of the club. It is what we should be aspiring to. And that DNA is the reason for the seeming dichotomy of fans wanting us to go higher and higher while at the same time discarding our recent 'successes' so readily.

I enjoy what Poch is trying to do. I enjoy seeing Spurs lads, born and bred, running onto the pitch every weekend to play for the team they love. But I also recognise that there is an intrinsic need for the fans to have high expectations, because that is what this club is about: the hoardings tell us that, our history tells us that, the words of our greatest players and greatest manager tell us that. It is also why I get so disgusted at the antics of owners who appropriate this club's 'the game is about glory' ethos, and then use it to jack up ticket prices in the name of 'competing' while doing nothing of the sort, preferring instead to take the cheapest, most low-risk route to the top as long as it doesn't endanger the massive profit they'll make when they sell this club to some other souls.

It is also why the complaints of fans who bemoan 'high expectations' baffle me: what do you expect from a club which has exhortations of great endeavours literally stuck up on billboards all around the stadium come matchday?

Just have to learn to accept there are a lot who just like to whinge for the sake of whinging, they're happy doing so. Just like in the office, you'll always find that character that complains about the company, but been there 20 plus years and never genuinely thought about leaving-just loves to have a moan....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Eh. I enjoyed the happier, bouncier times of mediocrity, coming as they did without any expectations. But if our remit as a club is to be forever mediocre because that doesn't engender any expectations of success or improvement, then there is little point in claiming to be a team aiming high or eternally targeting glory. Give up the ghost, disown ourselves of the visionaries like Bill Nick and Arthur Rowe, take down those 'the game is about glory' hoardings, and settle comfortably into a mediocre life spent bobbing up and down between 7th and 14th like some higher-class version of Everton or Saudi Sportswashing Machine. So why don't we do that?

Whether you like it or not, the DNA of this club has inbuilt into it the expectations of going for glory, and aiming as high as we possibly can in the expectation that even our likely failure to reach those highs will still echo in history. Bill Nick gifted us that DNA. It is part of the ethos of the club. It is what we should be aspiring to. And that DNA is the reason for the seeming dichotomy of fans wanting us to go higher and higher while at the same time discarding our recent 'successes' so readily.

I enjoy what Poch is trying to do. I enjoy seeing Spurs lads, born and bred, running onto the pitch every weekend to play for the team they love. But I also recognise that there is an intrinsic need for the fans to have high expectations, because that is what this club is about: the hoardings tell us that, our history tells us that, the words of our greatest players and greatest manager tell us that. It is also why I get so disgusted at the antics of owners who appropriate this club's 'the game is about glory' ethos, and then use it to jack up ticket prices in the name of 'competing' while doing nothing of the sort, preferring instead to take the cheapest, most low-risk route to the top as long as it doesn't endanger the massive profit they'll make when they sell this club to some other souls.

It is also why the complaints of fans who bemoan 'high expectations' baffle me: what do you expect from a club which has exhortations of great endeavours literally stuck up on billboards all around the stadium come matchday?

I am all for high expectations, have no problem with that but on the flip side most of the younger generation of Spurs fans have never seen the club truly be in a title chase so there also has to be a dose of reality. I don't see why we cannot also enjoy the current statusof what this club has become. Being in Europe every year is not a hindrance its a privledge and we went many years without it. The doom and gloom by our supporters sometime is just hard to swallow considering how bad it has been in recent memory.

Tottenham can't smile without you is the club motto I like over any other because it is so true. Even after a heart wrenching loss we are all still Spurs and it's better to suffer than to not have Spurs at all

Its getting like that on here today, look I respect everyone's opinion but it also seems like the negative crowd need to add extra aggression to their view and 9/10 there isn't much elaboration beyond "he's ****"

I suppose it does balance its self out when people write a full assassination on a player based on the way they walked or talked, like a certain action makes us experts on the ins and outs of that player "ohhhhh I didn't like the attitude when he left the pitch, I always said he was a bad egg and you could see that from the way his left leg was not keeping up with his right going off, the sooner Poch see's that and gets Levy to get rid the better, talking of Levy I heard he took Saturdays off in the summer, who needs a chairman like that, Joe Lewis needs to get rid and get a right chairman, I heard from my sisters boyfriend who gets his fade cut on seven sisters road that Joe Lewis wont act because he is lazy, sooner he is out the club the better, I don't like the way his glasses hang on his head, always said he was shifty and heart wasn't in it"

Always made me laugh to hear the body language experts rant on about Jan last season.

I think, as a group, Spurs fans are as big a group of delusional c**ts as you are likely to find. I totally include myself in that.

I haven't been to The Lane since a little bit before AVB got hired. Just didn't enjoy live games like I did when I was a kid, maybe it's getting older, but I dunno. Just felt like fans at the games aren't up for it, and it makes me think "why bother being here?" (not directed at other fans, but myself).

Actually, I did go to a game under AVB, it was a league cup game against Norwich away, we lost 2-1. But I think that even when our away fans were so subdued (they are normally brilliant, but just weren't up for it in this game), I just couldn't be ar5ed with live games anymore. I've had better times watching Spurs games in a packed pub than at the ground itself sometimes, singing and cheering, nobody telling you to "sit down or I'll knock you down" (I actually had this at a North London Derby, in the Park Lane End. Unbelievable).

Anyway, f**k it. We're on a decent run and we are on to play Chelsea in a cup final, I need TP for my bunghole!

Always made me laugh to hear the body language experts rant on about Jan last season.

Shan looked ****ed off most of the time..that's why I have that picture of him, Chadders & Kane as my desktop. :)
makes me smile every time.

end of last season vertonghen looked really P*ssed off, this season he just looks P*ssed off - which i think is the equivalent of anybody else looking happy.

He's better this season than last but his body language is the same as it's always been - nothing to do with his efforts on the pitch.

Usually I'm not someone who really believes in any of this body language nonsense, players express their emotions differently. But I look at him every time we score and he really celebrates with the players, or even just clenches a fist to himself showing he's genuinely happy we scored - he wasn't getting involved as much in that most of the time last last season that's for sure. Whether that really means anything significant has changed I don't know, but there is definitely a difference in that aspect....

I am all for ambition and its healthy in all walks of life, but it has to be controlled and with a HUGE helping of realism. Realism is the only thing that will help you achieve the goals over a sustained period of time, just ask Leeds United. I want us to win the league, I want us to be in the Champions League but I also recognise that there are 3/4 substantially richer and more established clubs above us so although I do look with hope to break the monopoly I realistically look at the league from 4th down at the moments and will do so for a couple of more seasons until the FFL really kicks in.

That also reflects my attitude of the players, people want Adebayor to have a record of better than a goal every 2.6 games, well that makes him a Rooney and if that was the case he wouldn't be at Spurs or at least not for long....think Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Carrick, So I am realistic that we will have clubmen and if we uncover a star he might not be here forever, he will however help us sustain top 5 football in a 36,000 stadium when he is sold on for 30m+ (that buy cheap sell high has done that for us)

People scoff at Arsenal, not least their own fans, but they are a classic example, I know an exec member and have heard the plan first hand and it works. They are a well run business, not only that they are run well within the FFL due to their commercial activities, this allows them to now go out and Buy superstars like Sanchez in a sensible manor and eventually the pieces are now going to fall into place buy adding more quality window by window, it might be a slower process than what their fans want but its totally the right way to operate and when you take into account the transition from Highbury to the Emirates its been a huge success off the pitch, on the pitch will follow and the rules will allow them to close the gap naturally now. Levy knows this, that's why the Spurs board are regular visitors to the Emirates to see how the operation runs there now, its the only way forward.

The UEFA cup as it was then was still a very decent competition when we qualified that first year.

Group stage - Bruges, Levekusen, Besiktas. Latter stages - Feyernoord (if they weren't kicked out), Braga & Sevilla. Some of those were very very good teams and it was a difficult route to navigate.

The group stages now don't compare - its like sleep walking until the knock out phase. Some of the teams now, with all due respect to them, shouldn't be on the same pitch as a team of Tottenham Hotspur's standing.

The UEFA cup as it was then was still a very decent competition when we qualified that first year.

Group stage - Bruges, Levekusen, Besiktas. Latter stages - Feyernoord (if they weren't kicked out), Braga & Sevilla. Some of those were very very good teams and it was a difficult route to navigate.

The group stages now don't compare - its like sleep walking until the knock out phase. Some of the teams now, with all due respect to them, shouldn't be on the same pitch as a team of Tottenham Hotspur's standing.

To be fair the Champions League is going that way

Group Stages - Pap
Early Knock Outs - Watchable
Final 8 - Very decent

Back