• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Would you fly on a Boeing 737 Max?

Also, looking at Flightradar's data. It seems the pilot didn't turn around at all. Something very fishy there.

You did call it right away.

There was the Iranian plane shot down by the US battleship. Maybe this was some form of retribution. Or just a loose finger on a trigger. Someone on high alert who thought it was a military aircraft? That Iran was denying it, it would seem it wasn't planned.

You did call it right away.

There was the Iranian plane shot down by the US battleship. Maybe this was some form of retribution. Or just a loose finger on a trigger. Someone on high alert who thought it was a military aircraft? That Iran was denying it, it would seem it wasn't planned.
I don't think it was intentional. If not for the complete lack of comm from the crew, I'd suggest there was a fault, they planned to return, accidentally flew into a hot zone that was new due to heightened tensions and someone hit the panic button.

I cannot understand why the hell a commercial aircraft would even consider
taking off while missiles were being fired.

I cannot understand why the hell a commercial aircraft would even consider
taking off while missiles were being fired.
I think it was a while after.

Also, missiles fired at US targets were SSM - no threat at all to aircraft. Flight was delayed by nearly an hour - might just be that someone forgot to update local towers and military were expecting an immediate US response.

Or the conspiracy theorist answer is that the Russians hacked and turned off the transponder so it was unidentified and then shot down. But conspiracies are for fools.

I think it was a while after.

Also, missiles fired at US targets were SSM - no threat at all to aircraft. Flight was delayed by nearly an hour - might just be that someone forgot to update local towers and military were expecting an immediate US response.

Or the conspiracy theorist answer is that the Russians hacked and turned off the transponder so it was unidentified and then shot down. But conspiracies are for fools.

Agree. It was a while after the Iranians had fired their missiles into Iraq.

However, I would have still considered that as an " active " zone.
Was a real possibility of the US launching an airstrike.
At that time the US did not know what the damage or casualties were in the Iraqi air base.

I flew on a 737 Max in July 2018 - Dublin to Providence, RI and back. Norwegian Air plane, brand new and quite comfy for a 7 hour flight. We had a delay on take off for the return flight as engineers checked out a warning light that the Captain wasn't happy with. His words over the intercom were that he didn't want it going on again in the middle of the Atlantic - gives me chills thinking about it!

I've also just returned from Australia to Dublin via Abu Dhabi (787 and 777 on this occasion), nothing to do with the original thread. I must admit that even though Iran are unlikely to shoot down Etihad jets, I was a tad uncomfortable being anywhere near their airspace!

Boeing has released internal employee memos.

One states that the 737 MAX was designed / built by clowns, supervised by monkeys !!!!!

Boeing has released internal employee memos.

One states that the 737 MAX was designed / built by clowns, supervised by monkeys !!!!!
Monkeys do work for very little remuneration. It's clearing up the brick that's the problem.

One of our factories employs people from Portsmouth - we have similar problems.

@scaramanga assuming you still back the decision makers to the hilt? they should be given fat bonuses for overseeing avoidable death right?

Boeing 737 Max crashes were ‘horrific culmination’ of errors, US House report finds

A US congressional report released on Wednesday blames a series of failures by both Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration for two fatal crashes involving 737 Max jets. The report finds that a “horrific culmination” of failed government oversight, design flaws and a lack of action resulted in the 2018 and 2019 crashes that killed 346 people. Boeing said in a statement it has "learned many hard lessons" in the wake of the crashes.

@scaramanga assuming you still back the decision makers to the hilt? they should be given fat bonuses for overseeing avoidable death right?

Boeing 737 Max crashes were ‘horrific culmination’ of errors, US House report finds

A US congressional report released on Wednesday blames a series of failures by both Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration for two fatal crashes involving 737 Max jets. The report finds that a “horrific culmination” of failed government oversight, design flaws and a lack of action resulted in the 2018 and 2019 crashes that killed 346 people. Boeing said in a statement it has "learned many hard lessons" in the wake of the crashes.
Absolutely.

Like every plane crash ever

Culminating errors

So the people in charge shouldn't face consequences for this happening on their watch? Because durrr, culmination of errors and it's happened before. Come on man.

I didn't say that

Was just saying all plane crashes are an accumulation of errors. Rarely one point of focus and it's very hard to prosecute based on design flaw.

You don't purpose!y design a plane to crash

Interesting thread given i have just started watching Air Crash Investigation. Such a fascinating show, i think the real message that seems to come through is how often pilots get confused so quickly when things go wrong, things that they can save or change but of course when you're 30,000ft up it's clear they effectively lose track of things quicker than due to the pressure they're facing (there's an official term for this but i forgot it).

In one episode, a pilot is so concerned with a blinking light on landing gear and he was basically so tunnel visioned with it, he effectively didn't focus on the fact they were losing fuel and crashed.

Interesting thread given i have just started watching Air Crash Investigation. Such a fascinating show, i think the real message that seems to come through is how often pilots get confused so quickly when things go wrong, things that they can save or change but of course when you're 30,000ft up it's clear they effectively lose track of things quicker than due to the pressure they're facing (there's an official term for this but i forgot it).

In one episode, a pilot is so concerned with a blinking light on landing gear and he was basically so tunnel visioned with it, he effectively didn't focus on the fact they were losing fuel and crashed.

I would say the exact opposite. Despite the pressure they are under physically and mentally they act cool and methodically.

Yes that isn't the case for those in a crash, maybe, but that's such a small sample size compared to those that deal with incidents regularly that would scare the passenger to death.

So the people in charge shouldn't face consequences for this happening on their watch? Because durrr, culmination of errors and it's happened before. Come on man.
Boeing can't legislate for airlines that don't pass on safety briefings or train their pilots properly. They can't legislate for airlines failing to pass messages on from pilots to maintenance or the next set of pilots.

Pilotless aircraft are still some way off. Until then, we have to assume pilots are properly trained and avoid the garbage airlines where they aren't.

Stick to BA/Virgin or any of the big ones from the Middle East and you'll be fine.

Back