• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Worst pundit or commentator

Pat "harry potter" Nevin. Makes a lot of sense at times, but does he have to sound like relief geographically teacher teaching the remedial class.

Most of them, especially on TV are terrible.

Talking incessant flimflam, incorrect understanding of the laws (usually handball).

TBH, the only ones I have much time for are Claridge and Nevin on Five Live. Oh, and Pleat. Graham Taylor used to be good too.

As for the worst, I cannot bear Savage and Hartson (maybe I'm Welshist).

But generally, the standard is awful.

I don't know what they can do to improve it, but the level of 'analysis' is so poor.

Pat "harry potter" Nevin. Makes a lot of sense at times, but does he have to sound like relief geographically teacher teaching the remedial class.

).TBH, the only ones I have much time for are Claridge and Nevin on Five Live. Oh, and Pleat. Graham Taylor used to be good too.
:D

As for the worst, I cannot bear Savage and Hartson (maybe I'm Welshist)
I just can't understand them.

Souness.

"There are teams below Tottenham that spend more on wages."

Yes, City, Arsenal, United and Liverpool all finished below us last season.

"Everyone above (or was it around) them has strengthened."

No, Chelsea are clearly weaker.

All three currently in the studio are useless. Barely able to point out the obvious.

Here in Norfa Merica, we often get to see the NBC Sports feed. Not bad. Rebecca Lowe is good as host and gotta say their pundits - Robbies Mustoe and Earle - can be quite balanced in their comments. Arlo White (bit plummy) and Graeme Le Saux are pretty good as commentators.

When it comes to ex-Goons, Lee Dixon has generally managed to not offend. Unlike marble-mouthed Alan Smiff. Ian Wright earned a lot of credit last season openly bashing his former club.

As mentioned earlier, Jon Champion has a penchant for reciting the negative stats and never really sounds convinced about Spurs no matter who we're beating or how well we're playing.

But few get up my nose like one-note shrieker Peter Dr-UUURRRYYYYY! All he can do when a goal is scored is bellow a surname. At least Martin Tyler is consistent in his calm delivery after a goal, even if he is beginning to sound bored to death by the whole thing.

McManaman is awful and needs treatment for his obvious despair at Liverpool becoming a serial tier two outfit.

ESPN FC has an entire studio full of idiots. Prime tool is Craig Burley. I could be more damning but until he is given the benefit of subtitles, about half of what he says is guessed at. Steve Nicol is hilariously glum. Another despondent Liverpool alumnus with a nose growing redder than the shirt he once wore. Shaka Hislop plays the role of the footballing Jar-Jar Binks.

Remember the the broadcasters have agendas like this Sunday bigging up Man U and saying Spurs are tight with wages.

This does make them the pundits sound so false.

I like Souness when he is not following a pre planned theme.

Here in Norfa Merica, we often get to see the NBC Sports feed. Not bad. Rebecca Lowe is good as host and gotta say their pundits - Robbies Mustoe and Earle - can be quite balanced in their comments. Arlo White (bit plummy) and Graeme Le Saux are pretty good as commentators.

I got to quite like NBC last year, as i took 'a break' from sky. Even the American fella (Kyle?) was decent and fair in his analysis (much like all of them)......Mustoe, Dixon, Le Saux ..

Have they changed the offside rule? Does the ball still have to be played forwards? Every one saying Watford goal is offside

Edit
Yep I was wrong you are offside even if the ball is passed backwards. Every day is a school day

Further edit .... no you're not. Remember the original concept of offside as being 'on the wrong sode of the game line (the ball)' - as still applied in rugby.

FA Law 11 includes (my bold)
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
Nonetheless, had you been in an offside position but brought into play only afterwards (but in the same phase of play) you can be deemed to have gained an advantage by your 'offside-ness', and offside is awarded.

So your last sentence should be - you can be offside even if the ball is passed backwards

The disappointing thing is the number of commentators/pundits/managers/players who do not understands (or sometimes even know) the laws

Update - later in the day, and after a few ales, I'll try and work out how the next bit can come about (my bold)

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.

Last edited:
Further edit .... no you're not. Remember the original concept of offside as being 'on the wrong sode of the game line (the ball)' - as still applied in rugby.

FA Law 11 includes (my bold)
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
Nonetheless, had you been in an offside position but brought into play only afterwards (but in the same phase of play) you can be deemed to have gained an advantage by your 'offside-ness', and offside is awarded.

So your last sentence should be - you can be offside even if the ball is passed backwards

The disappointing thing is the number of commentators/pundits/managers/players who do not understands (or sometimes even know) the laws

Update - later in the day, and after a few ales, I'll try and work out how the next bit can come about (my bold)

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.
What's the view on Welbeck's goal v Leicester on Friday night? I haven't seen it back, just going on memory, but both he and the guy who passed to him were through and beyond the defence, with just the keeper between them and the goal. I think the other guy passed slightly backwards to him, sideways at best. Is that offside?

Back