• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Worst. OMT. Ever.

We also defended poorly from set pieces today and had two players on our right side who were very poor indeed. It's difficult to win when you are practially playing with ten men.
This. Townsend was dross and dross and dross all night, totally screwed most of our attacks. Mind you the others weren't much better, we do the same move every time. Get it down the channel, turn back inside and run into 3 defenders, lay it off 3 yards to someone else, rinse and repeat, there is no route to goal via that move, yet we do it 9 times out of 10, I don't get it.

Exactly. Where were the overlaps from our 2 fresh full backs, or runners from midfield? We were static and predictable. Never easy away at a good team with some players 3rd game in 8 days. And 3 or 4 players who are not in the rhythm of playing regularly.

It was lacklustre. But we move on.

Last edited:
At this stage looking at the team, I am prepared to write off Lamela, Trippier, Vorm and some others. WTF happened today? I know Anderlecht is a tough ground but we showed no bite today!! Kane missed another sitter as well.

Haven't read through the rest of the thread so not sure what others thoughts were on the game....

Mine are that we lost a game that there is no way we should ever have lost. I think much of it is down to a bit of naivety from our manager. I think at 1-1 after about an hour he should've been getting the team to sit back take the draw and maybe get lucky nicking one on the break. A draw away from home in Europe is pretty much always a good result. Instead of that we seemed to go out and try to ensure the win, leaving ourselves really open to the counter.

Onto the players. I thought Tripper and Davies were both poor. Offered nothing worthwhile going forward and were anything but defensively sound. Also (I'm not sure who down to?) but our defending of set pieces was absolutely atrocious. Every time they got a corner or free kick they looked like they would score. Other than our two full backs I thought Townsend was poor, Lamela was equally poor and N'Jie simply isn't a center forward - we have gone into the season with one number 9 striker with a footballing system that requires a lone center forward.

Despite all of the above we still had enough chances to have won that game, not only early on but also Kane's one on one chance when the game was 1-1. For Anderlecht I was quite impressed with the overall performance of their first goalscorer. Their center forward was also quite a handful for us.

We now need to beat both Anderlecht and Monaco at home which won't be an easy feat. At least it will add a bit of spice to the games though and should make them a decent atmosphere and spectacle.

The only other opinion that I came away from last night with is that we don't have a hope in hell of winning this competition, I think we're too reliant on specific individuals and we also lack experience in both the team and in our management.

Very disappointed with this defeat. Always knew it would be a difficult game against Anderlecht due to our 1984 UEFA Cup win over them. And we had drawn all 3 previous matches against them. But Anderlecht had lost to Qarabag earlier and have only won 1 in their previous 18 matches in Europe. Thought we would get at least a draw in this match. Instead, it is annoying to see us failing to win after taking the lead yet again. It is clear we simply don't have the mentality to defend leads.

Credit to Eriksen for getting our only goal. Amazingly, Eriksen has now scored our last 3 goals despite not scoring for long time before that ! Wish we had taken advantage of that early goal to go on and win it. Lamela should have done better with the one-on-one chance he had a few mins later. It would have helped us greatly if we had gone 2-0 up then. Instead, we never looked like scoring after that and let Anderlecht came back into the match. Kane had a even better one-on-one chance in the second half but wasted it like he has done many times this season. This match proves yet again that we badly lack a clinical goal scorer. Wish we had bought another striker or kept Soldado who did well in European matches.

I think we lost this match in midfield. Thought our midfield had a poor game and let Anderlecht dominate the midfield. We were outplayed by the Anderlecht midfield for most of the match. Thought Dier was too quiet in this match and was not at all noticed for most of the match. Dembele showed his dribbling skills but again he lacked the his end product. Townsend had a chance to show his potential but instead he was very poor. In fact, our midfield went missing after scoring our goal.

Our defending were poor for both their goals. It seemed like our defence were too slow in this match. It was annoying that the Anderlecht player had a free shot for their first goal. We should have stopped him from taking that shot. For the second goal, Trippier was too slow to intercept the pass and allowed the Anderlech to cross easily which resulted in the goal. Still, Vertonghen should have done better to intercept the cross.

We are now winless in 4 matches since thrashing ManCity. It seems like the ManCity win has affected our good form and concentration. Wish we had lost to ManCity but won the 4 matches instead. We better get back to winning ways soon if we want to achieve something this season.

Didn't see the first half, but judging by the second, this was probably the first game this season we were outplayed. We were due one, anyway, so how we got it out of the way for the next couple to three months.

Very disappointed with this defeat. Always knew it would be a difficult game against Anderlecht due to our 1984 UEFA Cup win over them. And we had drawn all 3 previous matches against them. But Anderlecht had lost to Qarabag earlier and have only won 1 in their previous 18 matches in Europe. Thought we would get at least a draw in this match. Instead, it is annoying to see us failing to win after taking the lead yet again. It is clear we simply don't have the mentality to defend leads.

Credit to Eriksen for getting our only goal. Amazingly, Eriksen has now scored our last 3 goals despite not scoring for long time before that ! Wish we had taken advantage of that early goal to go on and win it. Lamela should have done better with the one-on-one chance he had a few mins later. It would have helped us greatly if we had gone 2-0 up then. Instead, we never looked like scoring after that and let Anderlecht came back into the match. Kane had a even better one-on-one chance in the second half but wasted it like he has done many times this season. This match proves yet again that we badly lack a clinical goal scorer. Wish we had bought another striker or kept Soldado who did well in European matches.

I think we lost this match in midfield. Thought our midfield had a poor game and let Anderlecht dominate the midfield. We were outplayed by the Anderlecht midfield for most of the match. Thought Dier was too quiet in this match and was not at all noticed for most of the match. Dembele showed his dribbling skills but again he lacked the his end product. Townsend had a chance to show his potential but instead he was very poor. In fact, our midfield went missing after scoring our goal.

Our defending were poor for both their goals. It seemed like our defence were too slow in this match. It was annoying that the Anderlecht player had a free shot for their first goal. We should have stopped him from taking that shot. For the second goal, Trippier was too slow to intercept the pass and allowed the Anderlech to cross easily which resulted in the goal. Still, Vertonghen should have done better to intercept the cross.

We are now winless in 4 matches since thrashing ManCity. It seems like the ManCity win has affected our good form and concentration. Wish we had lost to ManCity but won the 4 matches instead. We better get back to winning ways soon if we want to achieve something this season.

Hope this match was a one off. If we lose at Bournemouth, then we can start to worry. Especially me, avatar-wise!

Back