• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Woolwich - last day drama

Some bad memories and at least one crumb of comfort.
Still remember the buzz at the Lane when news filtered through that WBA had gone 2-1 up, the place was rocking.

A depressing read, but excellently written! Thanks! Hopefully we won't add to this story today. :)

The ultimate, 'read that and weep' for any Spurs fan.

And any Spurs fan saying they're not bothered by it all and instead hurls at others, accusations of small mindedness and of being obsessed, as far as I'm concerned can go fudge themselves!:):p:D

Nice article. A bit depressing, but I'm a little surprised how often we have been close enough for the final day to matter. Lasagnegate, Fulop and Munich flopping at home is surely extremely bad luck.

P.S. I think you have a mistake in the 1995-96. The table extract has us in 4th, playing Bolton, and Arsenal playing Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Should we be 5th?

Nice article. A bit depressing, but I'm a little surprised how often we have been close enough for the final day to matter. Lasagnegate, Fulop and Munich flopping at home is surely extremely bad luck.

P.S. I think you have a mistake in the 1995-96. The table extract has us in 4th, playing Bolton, and Arsenal playing Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Should we be 5th?
Yes you're right...didnt proof read properly in desperation to get this out in time!
Arsenal were 5th going into their final game (Bolton - home) and we were 6th (Saudi Sportswashing Machine - away).

Yes you're right...didnt proof read properly in desperation to get this out in time!
Arsenal were 5th going into their final game (Bolton - home) and we were 6th (Saudi Sportswashing Machine - away).

I'll update it when I get home

And this one's for the bloody ages! Worst one yet, no doubt.
Throwing away an 8 point lead over the Goons with only 4 games to go and an opportunity to finish in the Top 2 for the first time since the 1960s, quite possibly tops the Mind-The-Gap season :oops:

Throwing away an 8 point lead over the Goons with only 4 games to go and an opportunity to finish in the Top 2 for the first time since the 1960s, quite possibly tops the Mind-The-Gap season :oops:

But we're still in the CL. Have to man up and come back better next season. We've made some massive advances. There is more to come...

I don't think this one will be remembered in the same way that Lasagne-gate or even Mind the Gap will be as ultimately there was nothing tangible (i.e. champ league qualification at stake). Unlike Mind the Gap I don't feel as if we have ever got roostery about finishing above them and they were really resigned to it happening as well - i.e. there hasn't been much banter in the last few weeks. It's as if we always knew this was a possibility.

Big difference for me is that all the previous occasions contained circumstances and odds that were against us. Of course the 3rd goal/penalty which should never have been may have made a difference but on the whole we completely roostered up today and can blame nobody but ourselves.

Absolutely disgraceful end to the season.

Pochettino had a chance to bury the "bottlers" tag and instead we've just added probably the worst bottling job ever.

He's had the tongues of British journo's up his ass for the last 3yrs, maybe he needs to take a quick look at himself and see if its gone to his head at all.

From an outside chance at the title to finishing behind them again.

Just a miserable end to what should have been a highly enjoyable season (in its entirety) but now has a very sour taste.

I think the difference now is that we failed to finish second with our best PL points total. The poor end of season is upsetting, but its not defined on Arsenal in the way previous seasons were when the pipped s for CL qualification. We didn't miss out on the CL or the direct group qualification.

In the end, we fell off from a long-shot championship challenge and got pipped by a side that had no shot for the championship. Irritating but not a big issue. Both of us get group stage qualification for the CL, they will get a slightly higher share of the revenues.

And for better or worse, Wenger will stay. This upsets a remarkable number of Arsenal supporters.

I've updated it. Let me know if I've got it wrong or there are any other errors

Thats correct now Milo!

Put another way folks - I think in years to come this season will be remembered for pushing for the title into May, developing a fantastic and totally unknown team ethic and qualifying for the Champions League. That we finished below Woolwich will hurt but it won't be the predominant thought when reflecting back on 2015/16 - but may take a while!

Even 10 years on we only remember 05/06 for Lasagne-gate and 11/12 for Mind the Gap collapse/Chavski fluking the CL.

Any Arsenal fan who isn't looking at their team and thinking what the fk are you lot at is lying to themselves! Flat track bullies, the Graham Hick, Colin Montgomerie, Jimmy White, Lee Westwood of football. Brilliant when the pressures off and sh1t themselves when they went top.

Back