• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Women's World Cup 2015

yes i was exaggerating a bit. but for the reasons that i have mentioned, i think england womens should genuinely be one of the top top teams and should be a favourite over the likes of norway and canada

It seems a bit odd to me that the one consideration that you seem to be ignoring is how good we have been in the sport in the past. If wealth and social attitudes is the criteria, then we should be at the top of most sports.

yes i was exaggerating a bit. but for the reasons that i have mentioned, i think england womens should genuinely be one of the top top teams and should be a favourite over the likes of norway and canada

They should aim to be one of the top teams, but they're currently not. Norway has been around since the beginning and competed at all 7 WCs, England have been to 4. Norway have won gold at the WC, the European championships and the Olympics. England have never won anything. Canada are at home and also have a better record in International competitions than England, not to mention that they're not a small country (35 million people to England's 53 million).

It seems a bit odd to me that the one consideration that you seem to be ignoring is how good we have been in the sport in the past. If wealth and social attitudes is the criteria, then we should be at the top of most sports.

it seems to be the criteria in womens football, not all sports.

They should aim to be one of the top teams, but they're currently not. Norway has been around since the beginning and competed at all 7 WCs, England have been to 4. Norway have won gold at the WC, the European championships and the Olympics. England have never won anything. Canada are at home and also have a better record in International competitions than England, not to mention that they're not a small country (35 million people to England's 53 million).

in hindsight, i can see that i came across as a bit harsh on the team. i just meant to say that reaching the semis should really become a norm for england in the future.

it seems to be the criteria in womens football, not all sports.

We've never won a knock out game in the competition before. I could understand you arguing that we have under performed in the past, I think that many would agree but I think that it is pretty disrespectful and presumptuous to say that we should be beating decent sides like Norway and Canada.

what is there for the mens team to learn?

How to beat ze Germans, and via s penalty

Its a tongue in cheek comment Neymar. But you seem very defensive about the men's team - are you Roy Hodgson? Or do you some sort of issue with women's football?

How to beat ze Germans, and via s penalty

Its a tongue in cheek comment Neymar. But you seem very defensive about the men's team - are you Roy Hodgson? Or do you some sort of issue with women's football?

the womens team have done great to win a medal, so big congrats to them. but, i hate how the english media/fans take every opportunity they can to bash the english mens football team.

we should be celebrating the success for the womens team in a vacuum. unfortunately some people seem to delight in putting the mens football team down.

all throughout the womens worldcup this was evident. every single england player (from this w worldcup) appeared to be given excuse after excuse by the commentator following a mistake. ie. the own goal from bassett: how many people said the japanese player wouldve scored had bassett not made the interception? that comment was ridiculous. the truth is, the japanese striker had a miniscule chance of scoring from that same scenario had bassett not made the interception. in contrast, had john terry made the same mistake, im sure the likes of timmeh wouldve blamed jt on "lack of character", "not concentrating till the end of the game", "lack of desire", etc etc.

also, what about houghton's dive vs japan? a male player wouldve got called up on that instantly. but because it was in womens football, we all seem to gloss over it.

the england male players deserve far more credit and support than they currently receive. why cant we support them in the same manner that we supported the lionesses this tournament?

I won't be taking the media as a barometer, as they will do creates headlines, and had the men reached a WC semi final it would be celebrated.

But I would draw your attention to the attitudes and antics of England's men's players from the 2010 w/c when they have seemed to care more about themselves and club football, with abject attitudes.

Contrast that to the women's team who played with a smile and a passion that most fans can related to. And yes, it is a deeper football issue in that women's football still feels like a sport rather than a business.

One thing that struck me most was how the players mostly just " got on with it" when a ref decision happened, whereas in the men's game it would have caused 14 players to surround the ref.

Find it surprising that England took so long to put up a decent team in the Women's World Cup. For a country that calls itself as the inventor of the modern football, it should be able to put up a decent team at any levels and at any gender ! Didn't like it when Americans completely dominated the Women's football initially. But it was good to see teams like Norway, Germany and Japan stopping the Americans' domination. England really should have played their part as well.

I won't be taking the media as a barometer, as they will do creates headlines, and had the men reached a WC semi final it would be celebrated.

But I would draw your attention to the attitudes and antics of England's men's players from the 2010 w/c when they have seemed to care more about themselves and club football, with abject attitudes.

Contrast that to the women's team who played with a smile and a passion that most fans can related to. And yes, it is a deeper football issue in that women's football still feels like a sport rather than a business.

i dont really agree that the english team had "antics and attitudes" during 2010. they just played bad. nothing to do with poor attitudes imo. and you cant really play with a smile when you are playing that poorly. rooney's outburst after the algeria game is evidence to me that the players really did care and were conscious of their poor performance. they were hurting.

One thing that struck me most was how the players mostly just " got on with it" when a ref decision happened, whereas in the men's game it would have caused 14 players to surround the ref.

so props to the japanese players when they just simply accepted that the ref had given england a penalty for houghton's dive. imo, theres nothing wrong with letting the ref know he has made a mistake. otherwise we would be playing the dictatorial game that is rugby.

we should be celebrating the success for the womens team in a vacuum. unfortunately some people seem to delight in putting the mens football team down.
[/QUOTE

Funny how at the beginning of the tournament, the pundits and commentary teams were repeatedly telling the viewers, that Women's football should be scrutinised separately from the men's game and seen for what it is, i.e. 'Women's Football' in it's own right. But due to the success of finishing third, it's now rammed home that they're now officially the second best national football team we've ever produced.

Really annoyed with the Japanese ! Being the defending champions, they should have played like one, instead of playing like school girls and getting humiliated. Any team who gets humiliated in a major Cup final, regardless of age or gender, deserves all the criticisms they get.

It's a shame, was hoping for at least a decent game although expected the USA to win. Just got overrun. Add in that the BBC made us sit through Jonathan Pearce again and it wasn't much of a watch.

Couldn't defend a corner and the half way line goal should never be going in, crossed the line at the foot of the post, goalkeeper made a right horlicks of it.

Funny how at the beginning of the tournament, the pundits and commentary teams were repeatedly telling the viewers, that Women's football should be scrutinised separately from the men's game and seen for what it is, i.e. 'Women's Football' in it's own right. But due to the success of finishing third, it's now rammed home that they're now officially the second best national football team we've ever produced.

Has it really been rammed home? If the men's team got that far the media coverage would have been far greater.

Back