• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Windows 10

Superhudd

Justin Edinburgh
Today I downloaded new updates from Microsoft, and then got asked to book my windows 10 download. Are they giving this free to everyone. I think about 6 months back I signed up to something on the Microsoft site regarding a free windows 10, wondered if anyone else was venturing into this.

My worries are though are what happens if it goes tits up, I have my windows 7 DVD, but what if I want to reboot the system with Windows 10.

Edit..

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/01/hello-world-windows-10-available-on-july-29/

Basically it says that I have windows 10 upto the lifetime of the product its on, so does that mean until the HD packs in? Anyway, link aslos has the freebie upgrade link if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Yep, the update is free to any Windows 7 or 8 users for a year or so. I think I'll give it a run out.

Having the Win7 DVD means you can roll back to Windows 7 if you choose. If it is an OEM DVD that came with the machine then it is tied to the motherboard of the machine it was shipped with, or basically you cannot install it on another computer. If the DVD is not one that came originally with the machine, maybe one you bought from a high street retailer, then it is more than likely just a regular run of the mill Windows license that is portable and can be installed on any one machine you choose.

you'll also have the option to do a clean install of windows 10 even if you're upgrading from 7 or 8.

My own advice - for what it's worth - wait 6 months before taking up the free upgrade. It's available for a year, so unless you have some genuine pressing need of Windows 10, give it a few months, wait until the first service patch and inevitable slew of bug fixes get released... then some rainy Sunday afternoon in January, grab the upgrade.

I would never upgrade in place from one OS to another - it's just asking for trouble.

If the download doesn't allow for a clean install then I'd rather pay for a fresh one.

My own advice - for what it's worth - wait 6 months before taking up the free upgrade. It's available for a year, so unless you have some genuine pressing need of Windows 10, give it a few months, wait until the first service patch and inevitable slew of bug fixes get released... then some rainy Sunday afternoon in January, grab the upgrade.

Like your style. Give me time to let SSD drives get even cheaper (So maybe 500mb come down to price of 250 ones) then install Windows 7 again, then pickup the Windows 10. :)

Can I hijack this thread for a bit please.

My USB ports on my PC don't work, any ideal why and how to fix them?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Lot of old school theories on here .. (I'm not going to argue with any of them), just consider

- no one waits 6 months to upgrade their phone/tablet, why would you say the same for Windows 10
- its actually designed to do in place upgrades (first Windows OS specifically designed that way)
- 60+ million users have already upgraded, personally done 2 of mine so far ..

If you are super cautious, there will be a couple of updates in next few weeks (Windows as Service model), but 6 months is completely unnecessary imo ..

Back stuff up, upgrade, have some fun and try something new, try to enjoy it ...

Got myself my SSD card last week on the Amazon prime day.. under £50 for 250GB one. Will be installing that, then a fresh clean windows 7, then windows 10 ontop. When I get time that is. Its a full day of hassle.

Did the upgrade yesterday on my old computer for testing purposes. Some issues with Nvidia drivers (it automatically wants to use win7/8 drivers so you have to do it manually) Otherwise I haven't noticed much. Runs smooth, every program works (hate how they call them apps now) and desktop icons and favorites are all still there. There is also an option to downgrade back to the previous OS if something fudges up.
But for my main PC, I'll wait until the first service pack.

I have two computers still waiting for the green light for the Win10 install to kick off. Not sure what the delay is. I can see the Win 10 download sitting there in a temp. folder on the hard disk for a few days now (about 5gb) but it's not asking me to install. Why???? Why??? Getting impatience.

It's done in a queue isn't it? You had to reserve your spot I believe.

I'm uploading dozens of gigs of music to the cloud first (been meaning to do it for ages but doing all the meta data first means it's taking me ages) and will do a clean install after that.

rofl.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-collection-transformed-slideshow-repeat.html

I have two computers still waiting for the green light for the Win10 install to kick off. Not sure what the delay is. I can see the Win 10 download sitting there in a temp. folder on the hard disk for a few days now (about 5gb) but it's not asking me to install. Why???? Why??? Getting impatience.

You can just go ahead and download it with the "Download now tool".

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've updated my Surface Pro and Desktop PC. No issues so far.

You can just go ahead and download it with the "Download now tool".

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've updated my Surface Pro and Desktop PC. No issues so far.
Cheers, but I had read few warnings about that so I decided not to. I need the computers for work so I have to minimise the risk.

Anyway the update is in progress my laptop now and the desktop is saying it can be installed too. I think I'll give it a test run on the laptop for a week or two before I kick off the other one.

Back