• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why are we such a pushover against the top sides?

We weren't pushovers against Arsenal.

We weren't pushovers against City either although the final scoreline was hard to take. A couple of City fans in the pub I was in and they agreed that they were lucky with the very decisive penalty and were relieved when we got the sending off and they got the 3-1 goal. We were victims of circumstance more than pushovers. Second best, primarily because of Aguero, but that's far from the same as being pushovers.

We weren't pushovers against Arsenal.

We weren't pushovers against City either although the final scoreline was hard to take. A couple of City fans in the pub I was in and they agreed that they were lucky with the very decisive penalty and were relieved when we got the sending off and they got the 3-1 goal. We were victims of circumstance more than pushovers. Second best, primarily because of Aguero, but that's far from the same as being pushovers.

Ha-ha no team is a pushover against ******* right now. As for City, one reason we go on to become pushovers is precisely because of sendings-off, whether justified or otherwise, so I don't see how you can discount that as an explanation.

Some big game sendings-off in recent years (I may have missed others)

Nov 2012 - Adebayor v Arsenal lost 2-5
Nov 2012 - Paulinho v Liverpool lost 0-5
Jan 2014 - Rose v Chelsea lost 1-5 (s/o later rescinded!)
Mar 2014 - Kaboul v Chelsea lost 0-4 (s/o later rescinded!)
Oct 2014 - Fazio v Emirates Marketing Project lost 1-4)

Then there was the non-sending off of Balotelli in that critical match vs City a couple or three years back.

I agree with a lot if what wiziwig says, so gung-ho at the wrong times. Capoue seems to be the only player we have that sticks to his position. Mason and Bentaleb roam, Eriksen and chadli don't come back and our full backs are all over the place. Remember the WHU game and diers goal? Get stambouli in beside capoue, he looks like someone that ain't going to take that kind of s***. A good rollicking on the field is what a lot if them need.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Ha-ha no team is a pushover against ******* right now. As for City, one reason we go on to become pushovers is precisely because of sendings-off, whether justified or otherwise, so I don't see how you can discount that as an explanation.

Some big game sendings-off in recent years (I may have missed others)

Nov 2012 - Adebayor v Arsenal lost 2-5
Nov 2012 - Paulinho v Liverpool lost 0-5
Jan 2014 - Rose v Chelsea lost 1-5 (s/o later rescinded!)
Mar 2014 - Kaboul v Chelsea lost 0-4 (s/o later rescinded!)
Oct 2014 - Fazio v Emirates Marketing Project lost 1-4)

Then there was the non-sending off of Balotelli in that critical match vs City a couple or three years back.

Would you mind re-reading my post? I'm not really seeing how I'm discounting red cards. Although they obviously influence games.

The point was that we weren't pushovers. The red card came after 68 minutes, over three quarters of the game played. Up until then we had at the very least been competitive. That to me means we weren't pushovers.

From the Evening Standard.....

Roy Keane reveals Sir Alex Ferguson's three-word team talk against Tottenham

Roy Keane has praised Sir Alex Ferguson’s skill of tailoring his managerial approach to his players’ needs, citing a remarkable team-talk during a match against Tottenham as a perfect example.

Keane, who worked under Ferguson at Manchester United for 12 years before an acrimonious exit from the club in 2005, has been critical of his former boss in his new autobiography, The Second Half.

But speaking at a promotional event for the book, Keane said: “I played under good managers, bad managers.

“The top managers get a feel for the group, they know what you need. Whatever Alex Ferguson’s strengths and weaknesses, that was by far his biggest strength.”

Keane recounted one particular incident which exemplified the manager’s prowess: “It was Tottenham at home.

“I thought, ‘please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll f****** do them’.

“He came in and said: ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham.’ And that was it. Brilliant.

“It could have been a European semi-final, it could have been Leeds away, it could have been a home League Cup tie – Alex Ferguson always had a feel of the group.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...word-team-talk-against-tottenham-9808670.html

Danny Rose = nice and tidy?

Roy Keane = would be hugely popular manager here...reminds me a bit of Sherwood;)

Fergy = heard he enjoyed playing against Pool too when Gerrard would barely get a touch because of Scholes and Keano

Last edited:
Back