• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who's in and who's out- tactics 2014/2015

superfaisty

Nico Claesen
Okay so if the itk is to be believed ( haha should it ever be believed lol) a certain Argie may be the new head coach of our beloved club.

I've read a lot of what certain posters have written about his time in Spain and in England. What I haven't seen is any thoughts on how he would work at spurs and which players in our books would make it into the first team and which would not likely fit and could be shipped out.

I'm not asking about who should be shipped in, that should be saved for the transfer window thread.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the team would look like under the new man? Assume that we keep hold of all our players.

Southampton have a lot of young guys in their team, presumably fit young guys- given our history of injuries could that scupper any new system? Does not having a lambert style forward also mean we need to tweak the style?

Jumping the gun a bit I know and if anyone wants to comment on what the team would look like under another manager (ie FdB) feel free. Will be interesting to come back to this thread in the winter see how the team has developed and who has or hasn't thrived under the new man.

According to some Poch will be getting a new cb called Ferdinand 35 and past it ! I do hope not

As for our side next season I think we will see a few changes as I can't see Lloris,Soldado,Verts being here next season. Will be an interesting summer without doubt good or bad

According to some Poch will be getting a new cb called Ferdinand 35 and past it ! I do hope not

As for our side next season I think we will see a few changes as I can't see Lloris,Soldado,Verts being here next season. Will be an interesting summer without doubt good or bad

Did you not see what Verts said the other day in his interview on Sky? I wouldnt be at all surprised to see all three here next season.....

IN: Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Rose, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Capoue, Sandro, Holtby, Dembele, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela and Kane.
OUT: Livermore (although I think Poch may want to see what he can do). Siggy and Lennon might not make the cut, due to perhaps not fitting in with the "system" people keep batting about.

Maybe: Soldado, Ade, Townsend, Fryers, Naughton, Dawson, Kaboul, Carroll and perhaps one of Sandro or Capoue.

PS: I don't think we are sniffing around Ferdinand, it's likely a lazy journalist who needs to fill column space.

Last edited:
--------------------Lloris
-------------------(Friedel)

--Walker-----New CB--Vertonghen---New LB
(Naughton)--(Dawson)-(Chiriches)--(Fryers)

-------------New CM-----Sandro
------------(Paulinho)---(Capoue)

------Lamela--------Eriksen-----New LWF
-----(Townsend)---(Holtby)-----(Chadli)

---------------------Soldado
--------------------(Adebayor)

--------------------Lloris
-------------------(Friedel)

--Walker-----New CB--Vertonghen---New LB
(Naughton)--(Dawson)-(Chiriches)--(Fryers)

-------------New CM-----Sandro
------------(Paulinho)---(Capoue)

------Lamela--------Eriksen-----New LWF
-----(Townsend)---(Holtby)-----(Chadli)

---------------------Soldado
--------------------(Adebayor)

Why do you think he'll favour Soldado over Ade? Has he played a similar striker at any of his previous clubs or tried to sign one for Southampton last summer?

Don't know where to start, think I'll just wait and see. Don't want Rio though but would take Cole.

Why do you think he'll favour Soldado over Ade? Has he played a similar striker at any of his previous clubs or tried to sign one for Southampton last summer?

I wrote in the new manager thread (possibly yesterday) that I couldn't decide which he'd favour, and that actually both would probably work very well in his system.

Both are hardworking. Ade naturally has the physical qualities, but Soldado is more conscientious.

For me the thing that tips it in Soldado's favour, is that he's better in a possession system (Soton had highest possession levels in the league last season), whereas Ade is better playing more on the break. So I'd go with Soldado's movement and link-up play over Ade's hold-up play.

But both are excellent options though IMO

Last edited:
Don't know where to start, think I'll just wait and see. Don't want Rio though but would take Cole.

Think this thread is more about what he'd do with our current players - who he'd favour, which positions/formation he'd use them in etc. The ins and outs equivalent is in the transfer section.

I wrote in the new manager thread (possibly yesterday) that I couldn't decide which he'd favour, and that actually both would probably work very well in his system.

Both are hardworking. Ade naturally has the physical qualities, but Soldado is more conscientious.

For me the thing that tips it in Soldado's favour, is that he's better in a possession system (Soton had highest possession levels in the league last season), whereas Ade is better playing more on the break. So I'd go with Soldado's movement and link-up play over Ade's hold-up play.

I think that the big draw back with Soldado is that he is poor with his back to goal. I think that his build up play looked good on occasions under Sherwood, so maybe he could drop back into rhe Rodriguez roll.

I think that the big draw back with Soldado is that he is poor with his back to goal. I think that his build up play looked good on occasions under Sherwood, so maybe he could drop back into rhe Rodriguez roll.

Not sure I'd agree Milo. He demonstrated to me on several occasions that he has the body strength to hold the ball up. Im not saying he's Drogba-esque but certainly wouldnt dismiss that area of his game just yet anyway...

Really? The thing that tips it in Adebayor's favour is that he's not absolutely abysmal.

He clearly is not better in a possession based system and there's absolutely no evidence to back that claim up.

Valencia did NOT play possession based footy when he was banging in the goals and he looked like a little boy lost under AVB.

I think if it's Pochettino he'll try and emulate Rodger's formation at Liverpool:

………………………Henderson…….Gerrard
………………………………….……Allen
.…...Sterling/Coutinho….Sturridge…..Suarez

So with our present squad that'd be something like:

………………………Sandro….Bentaleb/Paulinho
…………………………..…Eriksen
………………Soldado……Ade……Lamela

Then expecting RB and LB to get forward as much as possible.
With upgrades for Rose and a CB and, for me, changing Soldado, that might work!

Soldado is well and truly finished if Poch comes in and gets us playing possession based football. Can Soldado play as a lone striker? i think yes but it would have to be a fast paced, counter attacking style where the wings are used often and the ball is fed to Soldado early.

Valencia played...pass...pass...feed Soldado. That's what they played and that's where he was deadly. Personally i think we should ship him asap and hopefully get some £££££ back.

------------------------Lloris----------------------

Walker-----------_____-----Vertonghen-----______

--------------------Sandro---Dembele--------------

--------------------------______------------------

--------------------------------------Eriksen-------

---------------Lamela-----------------------------

-------------------------Ade/new------------------

so a:

1) Energetic left back
2) An imposing CB
3) Creative playmaker with the ability to run with the ball
4) A very mobile, energetic front man in the Remy mould.

Sell/get rid:

BAE
Kaboul
Livermore
Lennon
Paulinho
Sigurdsson
Soldado

That should hopefully raise 50m....If more funds need to be raised then consider selling Capoue.

------------------------Lloris----------------------

Walker-----------_____-----Vertonghen-----______

--------------------Sandro---Dembele--------------

--------------------------______------------------

--------------------------------------Eriksen-------

---------------Lamela-----------------------------

-------------------------Ade/new------------------

I'm with you here KD. Rose would obviously be the left back until he brings in a better option. As a default I guess the other centre half is Dawson (again until he brings in a better option). I wonder whether the central midfield player you have missed out would be Holtby (for his high energy pressing).

Back