• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who would you sell this summer?

It's difficult really. If we are selling, we will be buying. It will excite us all again but this time we'll know better. Wholesale change as we saw this term can be a bad thing. But it's hard to think that we will be ready next year for a serious assault on the top 4 if we are re-jigging this squad again.

If it is LVG coming in, I hope he will already know hes taking over and be identifying signings with Baldini.

For me though, so many can be upgraded on right now.

------------------Lloris
----------------(New GK)

--Walker-----Kaboul--Vertonghen---(New LB)
(Naughton)--(Dawson)-(Chiriches)--(Fryers/Rose)

------------Paulinho------Sandro
-----------(Dembele)----(Capoue)

---Lennon----------Eriksen---------(New LF)
(Lamela/Townsend)----(Holtby)-----(Chadli/Siggy)

-------------------Soldado
-----------------(Adebayor)

Last edited:
------------------Lloris
----------------(New GK)

--Walker-----Kaboul--Vertonghen---(New LB)
(Naughton)--(Dawson)-(Chiriches)--(Fryers/Rose)

------------Paulinho------Sandro
-----------(Dembele)----(Capoue)

---Lennon----------Eriksen---------(New LF)
(Lamela/Townsend)----(Holtby)-----(Chadli/Siggy)

-------------------Soldado
-----------------(Adebayor)

bye bye 5th place and hello 6th place.

Good point. LvG doesn't like to turnover players - he prefers coaching what he's got and organic growth.

Is this true? i know of the man obviously but i have not followed his career im pretty sure he will be the next full time manager he is pretty much coming out and saying so himself. Would like to know more about the guy.

Where does he stand with a director of football? because the whole who we should sell should come down to Baldini. I am the one who will more often then not question the director of football route. But one thing that people who favour this approach always tell me is that we do not need a massive change in players every time we get a new coach is because the director of football will get the players we need and then appoint a coach who can work with those players.

Has LVG worked with a director of football and who do you think Baldini will want to sell this summer is the most important question?

People also need to remember that we're at the limit of our homegrown quote.

Siggy, Dawson, Naughton, Rose etc can't leave and be replaced by foreign players. They have to be replaced by other homegrown players, or not at all

The 4 homegrown players can be youths if needed.
No point in paying someone 30k to tick a box on a form for UEFA for the Europa league of all things.

Is this true? i know of the man obviously but i have not followed his career im pretty sure he will be the next full time manager he is pretty much coming out and saying so himself. Would like to know more about the guy.

Where does he stand with a director of football? because the whole who we should sell should come down to Baldini. I am the one who will more often then not question the director of football route. But one thing that people who favour this approach always tell me is that we do not need a massive change in players every time we get a new coach is because the director of football will get the players we need and then appoint a coach who can work with those players.

Has LVG worked with a director of football and who do you think Baldini will want to sell this summer is the most important question?

He had a huge row at Bayern over signing players.
He loves huge rows and ends up falling our with everyone he works with eventually.

Get rid: Dawson and Townsend

Anyone else depends on how much we can get and what replacements are available.

bye bye 5th place and hello 6th place.

Our squad is already better than Liverpool's and Arsenal's. It's the manager that's the problem, not the squad.

LvG's biggest motivation is always his ego. What better credential for a manager is there than turning around a broken team and making it challengers through his coaching prowess alone? It's what he did at AZ for example.

Baldini's role will be more buying players for the academy. Based on what he did at Ajax and Barca, LvG will use that as his primary resource.

LvG has always worked with a DoF (even in his most recent club role at Bayern). He's also been a DoF himself (second spell at Ajax), so understands the role very well.

The 4 homegrown players can be youths if needed.
No point in paying someone 30k to tick a box on a form for UEFA for the Europa league of all things.

But that means replacing Dawson with Grant Hall and similar downgrades.

Our squad better than Arsenals? what world do you live in GB? Liverpool also have a superior X1.

If all this is true then i guess AVB failed BIG time.

Our squad better than Arsenals? what world do you live in GB? Liverpool also have a superior X1.

If all this is true then i guess AVB failed BIG time.

He just needed time for it them to settle and gel.

I honestly believe, if we'd given him Coentrao and Pato this Jan/next summer, AVB would have had us challenging for the title next season.

To be fair If Levy had been fair and signed Falcao for AVB then we could have won the CL next season.

Anywaaaaaay.

Rose
Naughton
Sig
Holtby
Chadli
Dawson/Kaboul
Lennon

He just needed time for it them to settle and gel.

I honestly believe, if we'd given him Coentrao and Pato this Jan/next summer, AVB would have had us challenging for the title next season.

I'm not sure about challenging for the title, but i generally agree.
I don't think we should add any major additions to our squad this summer. We should probably thin the squad out a bit with 2 to 4 outgoings, and then just keep trying to gel the squad.

I think teams like liverpool and arsenal benefit massively from a team that knows each other, and we should probably go down the same route (given that we cannot just bring in 100's of million pounds worth of players every summer).

I would sell Lennon, Dawson, soldado and probably Capoue and bentelab.

Get in a right winger who creates, a first choice left back, and a midfielder who knows how to pass AND move, as ours seem to struggle to achieve both. Also a decent backup striker for ade, play Erikson or lamela behind him.

Plus a striker to compete for the starting line up.

Keep rose as backup, he's young and half decent. Keep Townsend as a backup, he has decent versatility. Can play left and right. Keep naughton, he's not as bad as people say

Last edited:
Some great posts Gutter Boy, common sense suggests keep changes to the absolute minimum. Personally I would let Townsend go and try and buy an upgrade on Lennon, not easy but worth a try, an upgrade on Rose, and another GOOD MOBILE central defender as Kaboul looks iffy health-wise and Daws is starting to creak a bit. Not sure what Siggy offers either, he's been a massive disappointment.

Yeah good points, I'd like to know more about him too. Am I right in thinking that originally it was LVG who Ferguson originally wanted to take over at Man Utd?

Some good posts as well GB. I would definitely keep Soldado to see if he comes good. Any new striker is as much at risk of not starting well. Lamela is another that would absolutely shock me if we got rid of him. The only reason I would accept for the club doing that is if there is some kind of home sick, literally can't live in this country any more, type psychosis going on.

I'm still of the same mind set as Jan transfer window.

No sales, Holtby back where he belongs and a new LB and striker to replace Defoe.

If a new Manager comes in he deserves to work with this squad.

EDIT: This squad that last summer everyone, from us to pundits/media, thought on paper was turning into one of the best in the league.

Last edited:
I think players need a season to settle intoa new team and league for the most part. I am disappointed that some of the newbies haven't made as a big an impact as we all would have liked, but I'm willing to give them all a 2nd season to find their form.

Out - Gomes, Friedel, Siggy, Rose. Also possibly Vertoghen unless he gets with the program and Kaboul depending on advice from the medical staff.
In - New GK and promote Archer to the number 3 spot . New LB and recall Benny. I think we need a new striker as cover for Ade in particular. I'm liking Bony more and more. New CB if either of Kaboul or Vertoghen leave.

i'd be inclined to sell our not so good players who arent looking great and replace with better. The likes of naughton dawson possibly sigurdsson. Unfortunately that cretin Levy will do the complete opposite and sell our best players and replace with more ****.

Good point. LvG doesn't like to turnover players - he prefers coaching what he's got and organic growth.

And that's the thing, any new manager will want time to assess the players fully before making any decisions on their future, so unless players ask to leave it's likely we'll have the same squad for another year.

Back