• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who would you choose as right back for this season?

Who would you choose as right back for this season?

• Alderweireld

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aurier

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Dier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foyth

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Sissoko

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Walker-Peters

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The position is up for grabs. KWP will probably have first dibs. Given a run of games he could do well. Attacking he's on the money. Defending he's not always as solid tho. Sissoko would be emmense. But he will be needed in the middle. So Foyth for me. Aurier just has one or two errors a game. His awareness is not there. Can you teach that? Dier is not fast and trickey enough for full back. Toby is best at CB.

Would give KWP a run of games to see if he can crack it before trying anyone else. He has shown a lot of potential in the games he has played so far but, to my knowledge, has never played 3-4 consecutive games. I know he is a bit raw defensively at times but with his pace offers a lot coming forward and is a good crosser of the ball.

Although Foyth is injured now I believe that Poch sees him as our no. 1 RB this season.

I think Foyth has the best blend of defensive solidarity and attacking contribution

I'd probably start Aurier as RWB though if we went 3-5-2

Honestly, I'd take a chance on giving Aurier a run. He's not really been given a chance over a period of time. Give him consecutive game time. I reckon he's got a higher ceiling than Kwp.

Judging by preseason it looks like it'll be kwp though. I'm positive to giving him an extended run in the side as well, can only do him a world of good.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd take a chance on giving Aurier a run. He's not really been given a chance over a period of time. Give him consecutive game time. I reckon he's got a higher ceiling than Kwp.

Would be my thoughts as well.

Serge, then KWP.

I cant see it with Foyth at RB at the moment.

Serge needs a run of games, last season he looked good before the injury.

My issue with KWP is that he looks pretty slow for a full-back, which limits his potential and might make him a bit of a liability before he reaches his potential. (I see someone above said he’s fast - watch him again vs Real and Munich, and vs Southampton last season - I really don’t think he is! Just finished rewatching Madrid just now and he’s constantly done for pace).

I don’t understand why we’re not in for Alves - he might have also lost his pace at 36, but at least he has quality. And I would think his experience would have a positive impact on the team too. No doubt he’s asking for big wages, but for one year it might be worth it - especially with Foyth injured too.

Id take Alves in a snap, though I read this morning he had agreed a 3 year deal back in Brazil (Sao Paolo I think).

Pace and fullbacks is one of those things, its only important if its key to how we play.

If, for example, we played one FB more defensive, one more offensive, we end up with someone like Rose charging up field, and KWP shuffling across to make a back 3. Pace is far from the most essential thing.

Alternatively - he is a more adventurous FB. Recovery would be important then. Unless we station a DM to cover him so its less an issue...

Id take Alves in a snap, though I read this morning he had agreed a 3 year deal back in Brazil (Sao Paolo I think).

Pace and fullbacks is one of those things, its only important if its key to how we play.

If, for example, we played one FB more defensive, one more offensive, we end up with someone like Rose charging up field, and KWP shuffling across to make a back 3. Pace is far from the most essential thing.

Alternatively - he is a more adventurous FB. Recovery would be important then. Unless we station a DM to cover him so its less an issue...

Even when defending fairly deep in a four I personally think KWP has a pretty limiting lack of acceleration over the first couple of yards, based on what I’ve seen of him. And I don’t think any system can avoid the need for a full back to defend well in those situations!

No doubt he’ll be starting the first couple of league games for us, so we’ll have some more opportunities to see how he pans out. Would love to be proven wrong.

Not really arguing about KWP specifically, more the concept of pace as a requirement of full backs.

Cant say Ive looked at KWP and thought he had a distinct lack of pace/his pace was an issue - but honestly I cant say Id really argue against your post either.

KWP has always just seemed "ok" to me. Neither bad nor good.

We really need a new RB to make the next big step up. Without one I see us third which would still be a decent season but love to see us bring someone in.

I dont think its that drastic.

While a top quality fullback can really add a dimension to a team, its also probably the least impactfull position if you have to make do with a lesser player.

Its a long standing argument, but I dont think Liverpool are superb at all.

I also think last year was as good as it gets for them and this year they will come down to earth with a bump.

City are something else entirely though, they're a machine.

Point remains, if youre going to be weak* somewhere, fullback is about the safest option. Particularly when the rest of the team looks strong.

*Weak? Not really. Weaker, yes. "Competent" would be about right IMO. While we could do a lot better there, its not like the options we have are terrible.

Back