• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who was our best ever signing?

Gazza.. 2m British transfer record... I remember saying to myself, fudging how much. The problem back then was that you didn't get to see much football on tv and these players were like aliens. Very different today.

Surely Bale?

In my lifetime probably one of Sheringham or Anderton - they cost £2m each and both nearly clocked up a decade as our star performers.

I'm not saying Lineker, Klinsmann, Gascoigne, Ginola, Berbatov, Modric and Rafa weren't better players, but they were more expensive and/or stayed for much shorter periods.

We did this some time ago, basically

- Best player, likely to be very different from
- Best Value

Lennon would be high on the list of best value.

If Bale stays another season or two and continues to improve, he will probably win it, as he has the potential to be a better player than all the other names ..

In my time supporting Spurs, probably Bale or Lennon, as currently unfashionable as the latter may be.

Before my time, probably John White. Key to our double-winning season of '61, by all accounts, and his tragic loss was one I don't think the club, the team or indeed Nicholson ever fully got over.

In my lifetime probably one of Sheringham or Anderton - they cost £2m each and both nearly clocked up a decade as our star performers.

I'm not saying Lineker, Klinsmann, Gascoigne, Ginola, Berbatov, Modric and Rafa weren't better players, but they were more expensive and/or stayed for much shorter periods.

Ginola only cost like £2m or something if I recall

Ossie and Ricky double signing. Two exotic World Cup winners at a time when foreign signings were unheard of

Lennon for 500 grand has to be close, given the amount of games we got out of him and the almost immediate call up to a world cup squad in a tournament in which he impressed.

The most exciting?

Klinsmann - that season, the famous five, Ossies football - fudgein awesome.

However you can argue Bale - in hindsight although at the time I dont think many will have seen the rise to stardom.

Ossie and Ricky double signing. Two exotic World Cup winners at a time when foreign signings were unheard of

Absolutely. At the time only a couple of Dutchman had come over to play in the English League at Ipswich (Thijssen and Muehren) apart from lots of Scots and Irish players... Ossie and Ricky coming over from Argentina was just so left field, and kick started our early 80s renaissance.

They certainly opened the floodgates of the foreign imports though!

Back