• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should we envy?

Right, but they spent a shedload by the standards of the time, won it and then faded away again. Leicester haven't spent much relative to the rest of the division and were tipped to be rock bottom at the start of the season. It isn't fair on them to underrate their achievement, imo.

I don't underrate their achievement, but they won't repeat it again and they certainly don't have my envy.

I was at the airport, going to our Sunderland game (I think). There were two thirty-something Blackburn fans waiting for their flight. Even worse they had two boys with them, that they'd obviously inflicted supporting Blackburn on.

The lesson - Be careful of one off title wins!

I was at the airport, going to our Sunderland game (I think). There were two thirty-something Blackburn fans waiting for their flight. Even worse they had two boys with them, that they'd obviously inflicted supporting Blackburn on.

The lesson - Be careful of one off title wins!
How do you think my kids feel? I inflicted Spurs on them at an early age. They have been getting it in the ear their entire life. I guess it is character building ;)

How do you think my kids feel? I inflicted Spurs on them at an early age. They have been getting it in the ear their entire life. I guess it is character building ;)
My 10 year old just came back to Spurs this season. He started Spurs but then, glory hunter that today's kids are, went with various other so-called teams. But now he's back. To suffer with the rest of us (until next season when we win the f ucking lot!!!!!!!).

Really? How many people still talk about Blackburn Rovers winning it? 10 years down the line they'll be forgotten along with other teams that had the "one magnificent season".

People don't talk about Blackburn winning it because they had a pretty solid team that they spent a buckload on and it was no different to a team like City or Chelsea winning it. A 5000-1 shot winning the title won't be forgotton easily. In years to come people will still point to Leicester when ever a over achieving side has it's credentials questioned. It received a huge global broadcast compared to Blackburn's title win as well.

You had the PM congratulating them in Parliament & the FIFA President as well.

Not for me.

In 5 year's time they'll be a statistical anomaly and a pub trivia question. We're in the process of booking a seat at the top table.

Oh, I don't envy them for the future, certainly, I also think we have a way more exciting team than them (we played much better football than them for 90% of the season, in my opinion). But I do envy their fairy tale PL win. I know I'd still be celebrating if it was us that won it.

People don't talk about Blackburn winning it because they had a pretty solid team that they spent a buckload on and it was no different to a team like City or Chelsea winning it. A 5000-1 shot winning the title won't be forgotton easily. In years to come people will still point to Leicester when ever a over achieving side has it's credentials questioned. It received a huge global broadcast compared to Blackburn's title win as well.

off topic but:

Blackburn had finished 4th in 1992/93 and then pushed United quite hard to come 2nd in 93/4; they then went and smashed the transfer record buying Chris Sutton for £5m (that's right kids the tfr record was once £5m!) so it felt almost inevitable that they would win it which they did in 94/5. Sadly for them it wasn't sustainable as:

Dalglish stood down that Summer leaving Harford in charge of the team
Man Utd re-built a team and won the next 2 league titles
Being a provincial town in an unfashionable part of Lancashire they struggled to recruit new players (and hold on to Shearer beyond 12 months)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Chelsea and Arsenal came into money and had more money and a more attractive base to attract new players

I do remember a couple of kids at school saying they were Blackburn fans but it was of course very short lived.

Would you want Spurs to be the team that won the title against all odds and then disappeared back into mediocrity?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to have won the title this season, but I wouldn't swap our stadium, squad, manager or (most importantly) fanbase for theirs in a million years.

Would you want Spurs to be the team that won the title against all odds and then disappeared back into mediocrity?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to have won the title this season, but I wouldn't swap our stadium, squad, manager or (most importantly) fanbase for theirs in a million years.

would you swap our lack of premier league trophy for their premier league trophy?

I'm not arguing that we should envy Leicester's future. I was merley pointing out that it will be a long time before people stop talking about Leicester's win.

Although having said that, we may never win a Premier League trophy. And if that is the case I would rather be like them. Although I guess we'll wait and see what the next decade has in store for us.

would you swap our lack of premier league trophy for their premier league trophy?
I don't think the question was phrased that way - we can't just envy one little thing about them otherwise we could find a reason to envy every club in the world.

If swapping no trophy for the title meant being anything like Leicester in any way other than their points total then no, I wouldn't.

I'm not arguing that we should envy Leicester's future. I was merley pointing out that it will be a long time before people stop talking about Leicester's win.

Although having said that, we may never win a Premier League trophy. And if that is the case I would rather be like them. Although I guess we'll wait and see what the next decade has in store for us.
My guess is it will be about 6 weeks.

I don't think the question was phrased that way - we can't just envy one little thing about them otherwise we could find a reason to envy every club in the world.

If swapping no trophy for the title meant being anything like Leicester in any way other than their points total then no, I wouldn't.

im envious that they won the league - that's how i interpret the question.

of course in the wider sense then i envy no one, as we're the greatest club in the world :)

I don't underrate their achievement, but they won't repeat it again and they certainly don't have my envy.

Eh. Our history paints a picture of the league title being an impossibly rare thing for us to secure, or even come close to securing, really. That they've done it on 5000-1 long shot odds after barely surviving in the relegation scrap last season is something to be envious of. I don't think they'll repeat it again either, and, as @scaramanga points out, there are a whole host of intangibles that swapping one club for another based on their last season alone might not account for - fanbase, , history, future, financial status et al. All that probably makes our club the better bet for a neutral, no doubt. But their title was magnificent, and downplaying that by saying that it's nothing for us to be envious of isn't something I'd do. Just my own two cents, of course. ;)

My 10 year old just came back to Spurs this season. He started Spurs but then, glory hunter that today's kids are, went with various other so-called teams. But now he's back. To suffer with the rest of us (until next season when we win the f ucking lot!!!!!!!).
It is not an easy road for a young Spurs fan to be sure.

My brother-in-law and his kids tried to convert my kids to Utd. They brought the youngest one a jersey and all, but I told them in no uncertain terms to fudge off. I think my reaction surprised them a little but I was having none of it. They way I saw it was they were attempting to deny me a future of seeing Spurs play along with my kids and to be frank I didn't want that to lose that. Got to nip that brick in the bud. I fudged the Utd jersey in the bin.
Thankfully now Utd are now more often something to laugh at than admire :)

Back