• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should be captain?

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
Assuming Ledders is retiring or just given the honorary title "Club Captain", who should be the team captain? Parker, VDV, Dawson, Vert? All have there plusses and minusses but for me none (apart from possibly Vert) is a guarranteed starter. Interested in opinions.

I'd go for VdV although I feel AVB might opt for Kaboul

Vert has a long way to go before he can earn the armband whereas Parker might receive far less minutes on the pitch in favour of (the superior, imv) Sandro. He is no longer a manager favourite

Its a tough one, I think.

Im not a believer in giving new signings the captaincy.

Id like a captain to be a certain starter.

Id like a CM/CB, not a fan of keepers, strikers or wide players as captain.

All of which for me points to Kaboul, though even then Im not sure Im sold on the idea.

He is a body on the line type, he will fight and lead in that respect, but Ive never thought of him as captain material before...

Its a tough one, I think.

Im not a believer in giving new signings the captaincy.

Id like a captain to be a certain starter.

Id like a CM/CB, not a fan of keepers, strikers or wide players as captain.

All of which for me points to Kaboul, though even then Im not sure Im sold on the idea.

He is a body on the line type, he will fight and lead in that respect, but Ive never thought of him as captain material before...

I agree its a difficult one. No one candidate stands out and ticks all the boxes. Parker though - just - for me as he has done it last season to reasonable effect. Think AVB might want his own man though, therefore maybe Kaboul or Vert (as a new man, new broom and all that)

Benny. I'd quite like all our players to grow massive afros and never know what day it is or who we're playing. Brings back a funky 70's vibe.;)

Parker should be captain but his place in the first X1 isn't guaranteed with Sandro around. Only other options to me are Kaboul and Friedel.

Vertonghen

Mate you don't make a player that's just signed captain (even if he's been captain at his previous club). The players need to get to know him, he needs to perform on the pitch for us, he needs to demonstrate his leadership skills to his teammates on and off the field and that takes time. It's also pretty much a slap in the face for the other players when a player has just joined and been made captain.

Mate you don't make a player that's just signed captain (even if he's been captain at his previous club). The players need to get to know him, he needs to perform on the pitch for us, he needs to demonstrate his leadership skills to his teammates on and off the field and that takes time. It's also pretty much a slap in the face for the other players when a player has just joined and been made captain.

I meant for the future. The guy will be the centre half of our club for the next 7+ years and will captain atleast 5 of those.

If we don't get a new keeper...Brad maybe?

I know some people don't like having a keeper as captain but I'm pretty sure if he wanted the strikers to hear what he was saying he could shout loud enough. :p

Kaboul i think...Our Kompany, big man about to rise to the occasion

Some of the players that come to mind may well find it hard to get into the first eleven such as VDV, Dawson, Friedel and Parker. This doesn't really leave many options, Vertonghen could be a good captain but it's too early for him. Kaboul possibly but I'm not sold on him as captain material.

I reckon Sandro is leader and could well end up a captain in the future. My vote goes for the Brazilian destroyer.

Just because Arry subbed him every single time doesn't mean AVB would do the same

Does VDV have the fitness for 90 minutes of PL football, I'm not so sure. In fairness to Harry 9 times out of 10 he subbed VDV at the right time as he started to fade around the 70 minute mark. Will AVB entertain that situation who knows.

Does VDV have the fitness for 90 minutes of PL football, I'm not so sure. In fairness to Harry 9 times out of 10 he subbed VDV at the right time as he started to fade around the 70 minute mark. Will AVB entertain that situation who knows.

Perhaps AVB would utilise him in a different manner/position whereby Sig takes some of his work-load in turn prolonging his stamina. VdV was always one of the top 3 runners statistically in just about every game - he covered great distances.

Last edited:
Back