• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who do you think we should've signed?

Yiddo

Cecil Poynton
Thought I would make a thread and see the opinions of people in regards to players you would have liked here but ended up at other clubs.

Lets keep it realistic and go with players you feel would have come to us over their new club.

I personally think N'Zonzi would have been risk free at his age and for only 6m. I think regardless of the Europa League win and Champions League football at Sevilla that we are the more attractive team.

Only seen him play twice, but I liked the look of classie (sp). For under 10 m I'd have thought he was worth a gamble, if he plays well for Southampton this season he'll be 20m next summer.

I would have loved to have seen Benteke here and before someone jumps in to say he is not worth 32 mill I agree, but then Kane is not worth 50 mill. All prices have gone through the roof and its crazy money for most now.

Only seen him play twice, but I liked the look of classie (sp). For under 10 m I'd have thought he was worth a gamble, if he plays well for Southampton this season he'll be 20m next summer.

so you saw him twice and now think he will be worth double by next year ... mate get on the stock market ASAP

Benteke, Depay and Schneiderlin were on my please buy him Daniel list from last season (not even this one!!!) but that's the last of them gone now which is rather disappointing.

Nzonzi is a good shout. Wouldn't have minded him.

I'd say Charlie Austin. I'm sure he'd get us the goals against those teams parking the bus. Player like him could be the difference between 4th & 5th.

I've only seen Classie a couple of times and was quite the opposite (and heard the hype too).

Nzonzie is a good shout.

Cabaye was touted here - so perhaps he would have been an option?

Milner I like.

MS only because it feels reminiscent of the AVB and Moutinho saga.

I think Demba Ba was moving to a league in an Asian country, seems to be a good lone man up front.

Pascal Chimbonda - well you have to don't you... Not enough in that position too...

for the last 3 summers including this one I've been absolutely desperate for us to land MS. Distraught we didn't sign him. Ive watched him from day 1.
number 2 on my list has always been Benteke.
had high hopes for Depay as well. Those have always been my top 3 and firmly believe at least one at some point would have happily signed if we coughed up.
Cabaye we should have gone for but not that fussed either way. I thought wed have Bentaleb/MS with Cabaye/Mason for midweek and cup games.

My new wish list:

Asier Illeremendi/Javi Martinez
Salah/Patrick Roberts/Berahino

Last resort of the top of my head
Moussa Sissoko??

Last edited:
I'm feeling pretty philosophical atm. I would have loved Schneiderlin but I've got a feeling that we've got a coach here who over time will make a lot of our good players excellent players.

Two things which have made me happy this window (so far - I'm still pretty hopeful of a surprise closer to the close of the window) are Bentaleb signing a new contract and Kane bitch-slapping any talk of a move by declaring his absolute love for the club.

One final point. Even without a top draw marquee signing, I can't wait to see more of our youngsters like Pritchard, Bentaleb, Alli et al play some games and become a team together under Poch's tutorage.

Giannini Imbula. That's it. The ones that will come in later will be as good as the ones that have gone to others. I'm confident on that. But we should have gotten Imbula.

I'd think the financial package for either Austin or Llorente, would be pretty near similar.
But is Llorente a busted flush, with a resale value in 2 years of 50 pence? Whilst Austin matures into a leathery, squinting, womanising goal machine worth £65m to Real Madrid?

Or the other way round, Llorente belies his years and can't stop scoring whilst Austin becomes a shambling alcoholic, kicking footballs into a skip off a rooftop?

Back