• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What tactics would you use to beat spurs.

Personally what I would do:

Play a 4-2-3-1 formation with 3 floating AM players as spurs only use 1 DM. The front 3 constantly move around occupying the whole back 4, people wouldn't know who to mark. Playing 2dm as a solid base alongside the 3 AM will allow us an extra man in midfield and will make their attacking players defend. The DM can always recycle possession quickly to an AM.
- No Point in man marking modric, he's too nippy to man mark with all that space, instead focus on closing down the players he is passing too with our superior numbers in MF.
- Stay tight and high to bale and lennon forcing Bale inside and Lennon on the outside.
- Isolate BAE with 2 players, Bale rarely tracks back quickly.
- Use players that cut inside against the full back or play balls in between the full back and the CB. Both BAE and Walker are weak against this.
- Pile bodies in the box at throw ins or corners and concentrate on getting a flick on at the near post.
- Have any two of the three attacking midfielders arrive late into the box from lofted crosses by wingers or full backs. Spurs don't get many men back to track runs as Parker is the only dedicated DM.

Pretty much the tactics used by Wolves the other day. Throw in Stoke-esque setpieces and kicking and you might have a shot at drawing against the mighty Spurs.

Get Webb or Foy as a ref and you got a guaranteed 3 points. clams.

I would set up with a 4-3-3 and go out to close down very quickly and not give them any time on the ball. I would have a big man (if available) to try and cause problems in the air and hold the ball up and encourage the wingers to take on both Walker and BAE as i feel they are not the best in a 1 on 1 situation.

I think if you can close the likes of Modric and VDV down quickly it will stop them playing the killer balls which is a big part of the way Spurs play. I would also double up on Bale and also exploit Lennon's poor crossing by keeping him out wide and encouraging him to cross but not letting him get in the position for a straight race.

Reading that lat post over again that is more of a tactic to stop Spurs from scoring lol.

Respect to Swansea who actually played proper football against us and played us off the park for large chunks of the game.

Teams will try to kick us, but Parker and Sandro have given us the steel that we've missed for a long time.

- Slow the game down as much as possible when the ball is out of play. i.e. taking a lengthy time with free-kicks, goal-kicks etc.
- Kick seven shades of brick out of Bale and Lennon.
- Sit deep, wait for us to over-commit and hit us on the counter.
- Double up on Bale, where possible. Get him rattled and in a state where he will want to take on his man rather than pass to a teammate.
- Distract Friedel at set-pieces with an attacker close by, then send the ball in towards the penalty spot.

4-4-2 with a "soak-and-strike" attitude.

for the most part, fall back to double banks of four when defending. sheepdog wingers into the corner flag and defend the crosses. keep compressing the defence... bait Modric into shooting and clamp down fast. wait patiently for spurs to push numbers up, then get ready to counter with 3 men running straight towards goal.

upfield pin the big burly striker on king/kaboul, get into their hair/face etc... and force a mistake. get the nippy striker to keep going 1-on-1 against gallas/dawson in hope that they will over commit and/or open up the defence. target setpieces at piece near goal, attack with a few big strong bodies at speed.

Park the bus, and have two or three speedy players in the team to hit us on the break when we're camped on the edge of their box.

And yet we still can’t beat that tactic. That’s one thing that has me puzzled. We have one of the best managers, yet we still play two defensive midfielders against teams whose last thought is to attack.

And yet we still can’t beat that tactic. That’s one thing that has me puzzled. We have one of the best managers, yet we still play two defensive midfielders against teams whose last thought is to attack.
Maybe you are forgetting that pre Poch and his extra midfielder we were always very much more vulnerable to counter attacks and the sucker punch.

Nowadays we generally score more and concede fewer than we did prior to his arrival.

Stand around waving at the crowd, backs to the spurs players let them pass sideways and backwards until the crowd are bored and then hit them on the break and score, then time waste for 83 minutes.

Back