• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What does AVB and the board need to do to make us better callengers next season?

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
There are several things that I think will need to be looked at before next season:

- Targetting and buying MOST players early so that they can join pre-season.
There has to be a list of targets that AVB as drawn up over the year that has been updated and is not just the one that Chelski keps after his sacking! I'm sure some of these targets are not just the expensive and marquee Willian/Oscar/Hulk type ones that will be hard for Levy to get done before the 31st Aug with the Oligarchs sniffing around.

- Selling those who AVB clearly doesn't want early
Frees up more cas to spend earlier. E.g. Is BAE off? Then why not sell now!

- Sorting out our now bloated midfield
In any manager's first sesson he can get away with squad rotation, players having extended times on the bench more as he rallies all to buy into the 'Team' and the new 'philosophy'. It'll be the secind season - a world cup year as well - and he will noit be afforded as much leeway. This could lead to more conflicts and fractious conflicts within the squad. Things for AVB could easily get back halfway to the way some things were at Chelski.
If we would like a midfield that can switch between formations (i.e. 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1) then we will need te following attributes amongst our midfiled players: pace, creativity, defensive strenth, scoring ability, dribbling ability, good touch, height, the abiity to play behind a target man and intelligence in movement. We generally all agree that we have missed a Modric/Moutinho-type player this season, but if we are to buy such a player (or two) then our midfield is going to get even more bloated and we will need to sell/loan out some.
Does that really leave space forn the likes of Livermore (what does he bring?), Parker (is he on his last legs?), Carrol (is he too lightweight atm, and will he benefit from a loan?), Falque (what does he bring)?
Will Holtby be happy just being a bench-warmer? Should we sell Parker? If so, should we buy a young DM understudy to Sandro? Can Livermore be coached to do this role? Where is our pace if Bale/Lennon/Dembele are missing?
Lots to sort our here imo and this could be key to how harmanious our squad is next year.

- Defensive solidity
I think we have to really look at te full-back situation. The game vs Liverpool away still pains me to think about as it summed up our full-backs: brilliant one minutes and then Kamikaze the next. I especially didn't like the lacksadasical reaction by BAE to the concession of the penalty and the loss overall. At least Walker seemed to give a brick!
If we are not going to play 4-4-2 anymore we sadly are going to need fullbacks who are 9 times out of 10 going to be able to hold their own defensively and cope witout a winger aead of then covering up for them. Easier with Sandro around I know, but nevertheless they have to hold their own anyhow imo.
BAE is more than capable but he will always worry me because of is seemingly lax attitude but also because generally teams are more likely to have right-sided players who will attack more on his side and double-up as well. Walker is young but it's time for him to stand on bis own two feet now.
Our full-backs cannot cost us again.
In adddition our defensive solidity from set-pieces and other crosses into the box has gone down alarmingly since January imo. We may have to face the bitter truth about the myth of Dawson making us more solid in this regard: quite frankly i'm not sure that he does.
Whatever the reason if we continue to leak goals from crosses and set-pieces next season serious questions on our defensive training will have to be asked. We simply cannot - even with a top,top striker - be expected to always have to score twice to win or draw. 9 clean sheets all season is simply not good enough.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Rip apart the lesser teams. If we can dominate teams in the bottom half of the table we become a title challenging team.

Rip apart the lesser teams. If we can dominate teams in the bottom half of the table we become a title challenging team.

Easier said than done. We dominate them, but ripping them apart isn't easy as Sunderland showed on Sunday. Creativity and clinical finishing are key.

Easier said than done. We dominate them, but ripping them apart isn't easy as Sunderland showed on Sunday. Creativity and clinical finishing are key.

That is where the new signings (new strikers, creative midfielders) come into play. Which I imagine is what will be coming in the summer.

But if you want to be contenders you need to dominate the lower teams as well as get credible results against the top teams. It's funny. Arsenal dominate the lower teams but struggle against the top teams and we do very well against the top teams but can't quite cut open the bottom ones. Both of us are far from "title challengers" though.

- Settle in the DOF, start revamping our scouting infrastructure if needed (I assume the DOF would have a few scouts he particularly likes).

- Clear our the wage bill. Identify and start offloading, with discretion, anyone who doesn't fit our preferred style of play or doesn't display a hunger to succeed. AVB has had a season to explore the squad, so he should have his own personal idea of each player by now. I mention hunger because of what PDC is fighting very publicly over at Sunderland - you can see how the culture of laxness has sunk into the club thanks to a few lazy, paycheck-collecting individuals who were probably not a great influence on our own Danny Rose. You want to build a winning mentality, it has to be enforced from top to bottom.

- Identify, with the transfer committee, the ideal stylistic profile of each of the players we need for the system AVB is planning for next season. It's not just about getting "good" players per se, it's about getting the right players. I would focus on signing three or four current and potential "starting XI" quality players rather than multiple squad-level players who may deepen or round out our squad but will never make our starting XI (I think it's better to have a smaller, sleeker, but higher-quality squad for the same overall wage bill). I argue that we are desperate for creativity, intelligence (good movement, field of vision, makes correct decisions in final third, etc), and one-touch passing ability and would emphasize these qualitative traits rather than direct stats like goals/assists. However I do think passing stats can be useful, particular key passes and passes in the final third as a proxy for involvement in build-up play, where we are sorely lacking.

Preferably we would get our players in early... but that's easier said than done. I understand everyone's frustrations with our deadline day hijinks but I'd rather a Plan A player in late than a less-good player in early, though the problem is that we sometimes still get gazumped at the last minute and end up paying for Plan D anyways. :( I guess it's up to Levy to walk that tightrope. I'll also argue that foreign players represent better value than PL players, esp with the new TV deal that'll leave English clubs less desperate for cash.

- Integrate more of the youngsters we think could have a future here, esp into the Europa/cup squads. When we're desperate for creativity, I can't see why we don't give Carroll or Pritchard or Ceballos at least a runout - they can hardly do worse than Huddlestone or Livermore or quite frankly Dempsey half the time, and our youngsters almost always outshine our seniors in the cup games. Even Villa's youngsters have done alright in this league, despite being thrown in the deep end with no help. What's the point of developing such a great U21 team if we don't dare ever use it? They're cheaper than squad fillers too.

I will say that talking about what we need to do is pretty easy - it's the execution that's the hard part. I don't envy Levy's task and I hope we don't read too much into the ITK, because I swear that half the frustration comes from hearing "Levy with a wheelbarrow in Spain" and last-minute failed bids for Aguero, Moutinho, et al :lol:

[video=youtube;Ck_M4l-QrBM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_M4l-QrBM[/video]

Follow this man's lead, clear out anyone not possessed of an absolutely ruthless and win-at-all-costs mentality, sign a striker (which even explains is something we desperately need to do in order to compete at the top), and sign a creative midfielder to play in a trio with Sandro and Dembele.

Oh, also appoint a new DoF, but crucially one with experience of dressing rooms and club politics (unlike the narrowly econometrics-focused Damien Comolli) who is able to both shape a long-term recruitment strategy for the club and be comfortable working in tandem with a head coach (as opposed to maneuvering around him and establishing control over the coach-to-chairman link).

And possibly buy a left-back to replace Benny, if AVB chooses to let him go.

That is where the new signings (new strikers, creative midfielders) come into play. Which I imagine is what will be coming in the summer.

But if you want to be contenders you need to dominate the lower teams as well as get credible results against the top teams. It's funny. Arsenal dominate the lower teams but struggle against the top teams and we do very well against the top teams but can't quite cut open the bottom ones. Both of us are far from "title challengers" though.

We need a Modric type player in midfield, who can move the ball around faster and cut open defences with clinical passes. That combined with a Berbatov type striker that actually makes clever runs into the box, and we will be much better off against the bottom sides.

In fact, with those two players in their prime, playing in the current Spurs side, we would be extremely dangerous.

a top draw striker would have seen us home in second this season, so not a great deal to worry about in my eyes....

There will be a turn over in players, but i think the reason Levy is so hot on using the youth set up is because he wants to spend £20m on one player rather than £20m on four squad players.

Not much. I think AVB is the type of manager who will keep developing what he has and create organic growth through coaching - i.e. rather than just parachuting in solutions, he will keep making what we have better. Look at the strides Bale took, the redemption of Dawson and to some extent Hudd, and the recovery of Walker, Siggy and possibly even Ade.

Of course a DoF, some forwards and a ballplayer will help things, but I think we're in more sustainable and longer-term mood now - establishing ourselves as a Barca, Ajax or Porto that will bring in young talent from around the globe and through our coaching set-up create a production line of world beaters.

Agree - that should come once we re-inject some brains back into our team. Selling Modric and VdV last year meant that we lack creativity and intelligence in the final third - by this I mean players who are able to spot the final ball (or the ball before the final ball), able to play short angled passes between defenders to create opportunities and players which can MOVE!!

Defoe and Ade's movement is absolutely woeful - look at Sunday...far too many times they were just standing there being marked by the CBs. Makes it far too easy for the opposition. Lennon isn't blessed with a footballing brain either

1 - Get Gareth to commit
2 - Sign a top, top striker
3 - Get Sandro and Kaboul back fit
4 - Sign a left winger as Bale isn't playing there any more.

Done.

- Defensive solidity
I think we have to really look at te full-back situation. The game vs Liverpool away still pains me to think about as it summed up our full-backs: brilliant one minutes and then Kamikaze the next. I especially didn't like the lacksadasical reaction by BAE to the concession of the penalty and the loss overall. At least Walker seemed to give a brick!
If we are not going to play 4-4-2 anymore we sadly are going to need fullbacks who are 9 times out of 10 going to be able to hold their own defensively and cope witout a winger aead of then covering up for them. Easier with Sandro around I know, but nevertheless they have to hold their own anyhow imo.
BAE is more than capable but he will always worry me because of is seemingly lax attitude but also because generally teams are more likely to have right-sided players who will attack more on his side and double-up as well. Walker is young but it's time for him to stand on bis own two feet now.
Our full-backs cannot cost us again.
In adddition our defensive solidity from set-pieces and other crosses into the box has gone down alarmingly since January imo. We may have to face the bitter truth about the myth of Dawson making us more solid in this regard: quite frankly i'm not sure that he does.
Whatever the reason if we continue to leak goals from crosses and set-pieces next season serious questions on our defensive training will have to be asked. We simply cannot - even with a top,top striker - be expected to always have to score twice to win or draw. 9 clean sheets all season is simply not good enough.

Thoughts?

Totally agree

nail.gif

Not much. I think AVB is the type of manager who will keep developing what he has and create organic growth through coaching - i.e. rather than just parachuting in solutions, he will keep making what we have better. Look at the strides Bale took, the redemption of Dawson and to some extent Hudd, and the recovery of Walker, Siggy and possibly even Ade.

Of course a DoF, some forwards and a ballplayer will help things, but I think we're in more sustainable and longer-term mood now - establishing ourselves as a Barca, Ajax or Porto that will bring in young talent from around the globe and through our coaching set-up create a production line of world beaters.

Often scornful about your posts GB, but this is a top post mate. Arrival of a DoF could well disrupt things in the short term because he'd bring in fresh ideas and would expect to influence a few things in key ways, but if he's the right choice that's a price we'd have to pay.

- Defensive solidity

Thoughts?

Agree with most of what you say here but just want to pick up on the Dawson point. I was reading the season results/starting XI in the match day programme on the journey back on Sunday and noticed that up until Dawson was reinstated in the starting XI we were conceding 2.1 goals per game. Afterwards it was down to 1.1 per game. Similarly I think something like 7 of 9 clean sheets were when he was picked. There was only a slight increase comparing Sandro and Parker but I think we'd see a noticeable difference if Sandro and Dawson start next season.

I'd also like to highlight the table below for discussion:

epl_table.jpg

Points for me from this:

• Didn’t score enough at home – in fact 8 teams scored more than us
• Away form is good enough as is (unless we want to win the league!)
• Pts v top 4 – happy
• Pts v bottom 6 – satisfactory but could improve
• 9 clean sheets – need to add another 4-5 next season
• Penalties – scandalous that we haven't had a single one. I don't buy that we're not in the opposition box enough. QPR have scored less than half our number of goals and yet have been awarded 2?
• Number of passes – really down on last season – pretty sure we were top 3 in pass completion I think? This year we’re down in 10th :-o Fulham, Wigan & Southampton completed more passes. I guess another interesting stat would be possession statistics to see if it aligns with this. I really think this last one is about losing VdV & Modric and why I think we need to buy another central midfielder.

Back