• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wenger says only 2 new players per transfer window

onlyme

Banned
What is wrong with that?
Also Chelsea have about 30 players out on loan. How about a limit on loan players?

What is wrong with that?
Also Chelsea have about 30 players out on loan. How about a limit on loan players?

Isn't there some limit on loanees already?

Or is that how many you can have INcoming, rather than outgoing?

What is wrong with that?

What is right with that?

Imo it would lead to players with large amounts of potential not signing on to any long term contracts as if they become good, they'll want the opportunity to leave and advance to a better club without it getting in the way of the '2 players per window rule'.

As the two players rule would not apply with free transfers. So lots of talented players would leave their clubs on free's which would leave the clubs having trained them unable to profit as they well should for the development of the player.

Last edited:
Wenger has signed 3 players in the last window.

Wenger signed more than 2 players in the summer of 97 and 2001, before both seaons when they won the league and FA cup double...

Move along now, just a cse of....

DSCF4184.jpg

QPR and Saudi Sportswashing Machine appear to be signing everything that moves, but who else has made any significant number of deals?

Another whinge from Wenger. Fitting in well with his character. He's not delivering the results the fans want and he's feeling the pressure, so deflect by complaining about brick like this. Last season it was the loan deals, before that the long throws Stoke were taking, now this.

QPR and Saudi Sportswashing Machine appear to be signing everything that moves, but who else has made any significant number of deals?

No. As is typical it's the struggling clubs making moves in January.

If the January window was removed I think we would see an even greater stockpiling of players at the top clubs.

Another option could be to have maybe 3-4 short windows during the season where registrations can be transferred, but I think the only change we can realistically hope for is to have the summer window close earlier. I feel the clubs are setting themselves up for problems by holding on to too many players. The 25 man squad is clouding their thinking. A balanced squad of 22-23 players should be more than enough, but for many it's become quantity over quality. Point being that players won't be sold until a replacement is ready, thus holding up the whole chain of transfers.

Another option could be to have maybe 3-4 short windows during the season where registrations can be transferred, but I think the only change we can realistically hope for is to have the summer window close earlier. I feel the clubs are setting themselves up for problems by holding on to too many players. The 25 man squad is clouding their thinking. A balanced squad of 22-23 players should be more than enough, but for many it's become quantity over quality. Point being that players won't be sold until a replacement is ready, thus holding up the whole chain of transfers.

I quite like the current system. Wouldn't mind seeing the summer window close a bit earlier and the January window shortened by a week or two, but those are details.

I can see some advantage in giving teams a couple of weeks in the summer to see how their squad settles into the Premiership before closing the window, although personally I would like to see the window close before the season starts. That's more because I think it would suit Spurs better if it closed earlier.

I quite like the system as it is. It's MUCH better than the way it used to be. The benefits of transfer windows combined with a maximum limit for squad size should be that clubs have to think more long term with their squad building as it's almost impossible to havemassive turnovers of personnel, but they haven't really adapted to it yet.

I quite like the system as it is. It's MUCH better than the way it used to be. The benefits of transfer windows combined with a maximum limit for squad size should be that clubs have to think more long term with their squad building as it's almost impossible to havemassive turnovers of personnel, but they haven't really adapted to it yet.

I think most clubs have started to adapt, but with the massive squads already in place before the rules changed there's been a bit of a surplus of squad players around so it's been difficult to get rid of some players. Combined with the financial problems a lot of clubs have had and the big wages these players have been on (and little willingness to drop in wages to get regular football) it's meant that several clubs have had players sitting around doing very little on fairly massive money.

I agree with braineclipse in that there is not a whole lot wrong with the current system in terms of duration. There are many other flaws with the transfer process but this works relatively well.

The squad size should restrict stock piling of players but because the loan system is being abused by the loaners and the clubs the players go to then this doesn't really serve the purpose it was intended for. Chelsea have some 22 players out on loan. In addition clubs like city and Chelsea can let players on massive wages just rot in their reserves. The only way to sort it out is impose a raft of restrictions on the quantity of different types of players allowed at a club. Something way more stringent than is in place now.

I agree with braineclipse in that there is not a whole lot wrong with the current system in terms of duration. There are many other flaws with the transfer process but this works relatively well.

The squad size should restrict stock piling of players but because the loan system is being abused by the loaners and the clubs the players go to then this doesn't really serve the purpose it was intended for. Chelsea have some 22 players out on loan. In addition clubs like city and Chelsea can let players on massive wages just rot in their reserves. The only way to sort it out is impose a raft of restrictions on the quantity of different types of players allowed at a club. Something way more stringent than is in place now.

True, but the loan system is being used for it's intended purpose. If you limited the number of players that you could send on loan there would be a outcry as teams could no longer send their young british academy players on loan to lower divisions to gain some much needed first team experience.

You could limit the number of players you can loan in the same division you are in, but then they will just loan them abroad into a top division somewhere, which would probably be far better for English football anyway.

True, but the loan system is being used for it's intended purpose. If you limited the number of players that you could send on loan there would be a outcry as teams could no longer send their young british academy players on loan to lower divisions to gain some much needed first team experience.

You could limit the number of players you can loan in the same division you are in, but then they will just loan them abroad into a top division somewhere, which would probably be far better for English football anyway.

This is sort of my point. The loan system should be to promote development of youth players rather how it is sometimes used, as an overflow of senior pros because the club bought too many players.

What is wrong with that?

Any footballer who didnt get a move because of this would be able to take it to some European court similar to the bosman ruling.

Didn't he say only 2 players in the January window? I have to say that's not a bad suggestion.

You're only allowed to make 3 changes/additions to your European squad, so it's really just those fighting relegation that have any major benefits from signing a lot of players in January.

A solution to big clubs stock piling young players and then sending them out on loan would be to not allow wages to be subsidised for loan players.

A solution to big clubs stock piling young players and then sending them out on loan would be to not allow wages to be subsidised for loan players.

Whilst on the surface this appears to be good, do clubs not charge fees when they loan players out?

The clubs would simply incorporate the wage costs that would be endured into the loan fee.

Not sure which way it would go. Chelsea/City can't afford to not loan them out to meet FFP (LoL), but the buying clubs may be put off if they have to pay a large lump sum at the start.

Back