• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wembley 2017/18

What you people do not seem to understand is I am not real. I am the part of you, that you do not let exist the deepest darkest parts of your soul and those thoughts you should not have. I am no more a person then an idea, a phantom an ideal something to believe in.

Ought to mention that the curry leaf at Brighton station is ok but go to the restaurant in the lanes and they do a lovely selection of craft beers. Strange decor in there if you ask me but great food and beer.

I'd rather watch games at the old Den than Wembley, it's a soulless dump which was only worth going to as it was "a big game" being played there.

It really is soulless

I hope the chanting comes back at the new ground, hope they sit people near where they were at the Lane. I had gotten used to sitting in the West stand at the Lane but still liked to hear the chanting from others even if it was beneath me to join in.

Another thing the is just to much fcuking red at Wembley.

I'd rather watch games at the old Den than Wembley, it's a soulless dump which was only worth going to as it was "a big game" being played there.

The fans make the atmosphere in the stadium. At the moment the majority of fans aren't even trying.

We had the place roaring when we started our Champions League games there last year, and the Chelsea game this season was pretty loud. Yesterday, the guy sitting next to me today was asleep through most of the first half.

For me the idea of a stadium having 'soul' is just nostalgia. At the current Wembley we have no ownership, no really positive memories or achievements. Where did the 'soul' at the old Wembley come from? It was a lump of concrete that had lost it UEFA rating and had major safety issues by the time it closed.

It doesn't matter how clever the design is for our new stadium, its more likely that it will be like Wembley than the old Lane for the first couple of years.

Sorry to join in the whinge fest, but I agree Wembley feels detached. It's fine for a year, but represents a glossy pop corn form of entertainment without much feeling.

Sat in a cushioned seat with so much space, but when we kicked off, the guy in front says 'I hope your not going to do that all 90 mins' - when myself and the 12 year old kid in the row behind starting shouting and singing. The first half was painful. Quiet in the stadium and Bournemouth did a good job of containing the game. The area behind the goal is the place to be if you want to sing. The geezer in front left at 75 mins. Celebrated with both when we scored tho.

I guess 15 to 30,000 of the attendees are not regulars. Some are tourists just going to a PL match. Others are Spurs fans who don't know the songs. If half the stadium joined in chants it would make the atmosphere. We should sticky a songs thread.

What was awesome was the kid behind. Singing his heart out, shouting throughout the game when the section we were in was pretty quiet. Amazing position just to the right of Poch in his technical area.

Last edited:
The fans make the atmosphere in the stadium. At the moment the majority of fans aren't even trying.

We had the place roaring when we started our Champions League games there last year, and the Chelsea game this season was pretty loud. Yesterday, the guy sitting next to me today was asleep through most of the first half.

For me the idea of a stadium having 'soul' is just nostalgia. At the current Wembley we have no ownership, no really positive memories or achievements. Where did the 'soul' at the old Wembley come from? It was a lump of concrete that had lost it UEFA rating and had major safety issues by the time it closed.

It doesn't matter how clever the design is for our new stadium, its more likely that it will be like Wembley than the old Lane for the first couple of years.

The stadium design makes a massive difference. Contrast Wembley with the Millennium Stadium. Even though the MS was built a few years earlier, it is a far better design, and there's almost always a great atmosphere in there no matter who is playing.

the entertainment makes the atmosphere IMO, i’ve been in new Wembley plenty of times when it’s been rocking

Reactions: T-C
The stadium design makes a massive difference. Contrast Wembley with the Millennium Stadium. Even though the MS was built a few years earlier, it is a far better design, and there's almost always a great atmosphere in there no matter who is playing.
The Millenium is brick IMO. The upper tiers have all but the pitch concealed by the roof, so you can't see or hear the other stands. Dortmund is the best big ground I've been to.

The Millenium is brick IMO. The upper tiers have all but the pitch concealed by the roof, so you can't see or hear the other stands. Dortmund is the best big ground I've been to.

I think the millennium is top drawer
The Bernabéu is great though. Massive but tight and compact with a great atmosphere

It can make a difference, but I've been to plenty of games at Wembley when the stadium is rocking, even without it being full. The attitude of the fans is a much more significant factor.

The majority of our fans have already made up their mind that they don't like being there, so I expect the almost sulking silence to continue.

Out of interest how many times have you been to the Millennium Stadium in person? They have fewer sports events in general, and most of those are rugby which is a completely different type of crowd. I've heard plenty of complaints from people but admittedly those were related to concerts.

the entertainment makes the atmosphere IMO, i’ve been in new Wembley plenty of times when it’s been rocking

Two of the best were a Champions League Final and a League One Playoff, so two completely different ends of the quality scale.

The Emirates is the same. I was there for their Emirates cup pre season thing a few years back, upper tier toward the corner. The roof has a strange rake to it completely obscuring the other side of the stadium. To the degree that near the middle of the pitch you couldnt even see the first row of seats, only just the pitch itself.

It can make a difference, but I've been to plenty of games at Wembley when the stadium is rocking, even without it being full. The attitude of the fans is a much more significant factor.

The majority of our fans have already made up their mind that they don't like being there, so I expect the almost sulking silence to continue.
^^THIS! And because of that they expect everyone else to make the noise and atmosphere.

Minor Final in the 80s.

Bristol Rovers v Tranmere Rovers (come on Rovers) and both had the same colours (white/blue quarters) although not on the day.

IIRC Bristol sang the old song "Goodnight Irene", about 5 verses.

"Goodnight Irene" is sung by supporters of English football team Bristol Rovers. It was first sung at a fireworks display at the Stadium the night before a Home game against Plymouth Argyle in 1950. During the game, the following day, Rovers were winning quite comfortably and the few Argyle supporters present began to leave early prompting a chorus of "Goodnight Argyle" from the Rovers supporters—the tune stuck and "Goodnight Irene" became the club song​

Oh - planning ahead for Palarse on 5th Nov.

As a mid-day k.o., would the bars be open at all ?

Of course, the club may tell us, but not until the day before

Back