• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welbeck

2df2257d-17e7-452c-9c6f-259f635c7bd0_500.png

Looks about right. Should fit in well with the rest of their overpaid 'nearly men.'

That's bull ****. How did arsenal get an extension....

On the BBC red button they said that you only need to get a form filed with the authorities by 11pm, then you have an hour to complete the other paperwork properly for international deals

And for domestic deals you have 2 extra hours?! Could be a long night :)

Also a lot of these late deals are "subject to medical" so some of them could still fall through if they find something bad in the medical

On the BBC red button they said that you only need to get a form filed with the authorities by 11pm, then you have an hour to complete the other paperwork properly for international deals

And for domestic deals you have 2 extra hours?! Could be a long night :)

Also a lot of these late deals are "subject to medical" so some of them could still fall through if they find something bad in the medical

Seems a bit amateur to be struggling to complete these deals in the last few minutes. You get the whole summer to get things done and even then you wait till the last few days/hours but no teams still need the last few minutes??? Talk about poor organisation and laziness.

Seems a bit amateur to be struggling to complete these deals in the last few minutes. You get the whole summer to get things done and even then you wait till the last few days/hours but no teams still need the last few minutes??? Talk about poor organisation and laziness.

No different from the us ordinary people. Why get to work on something when the deadline is still weeks away?

No different from the us ordinary people. Why get to work on something when the deadline is still weeks away?
Still amateurish: A professional organisation dealing with millions of
Pounds leaving things till the last minutes is unacceptable.
Leaves little time for 'due diligence'.
That, in my view increases business risk.

Most football clubs are run by amateurs and idiots though.

Not really, it's brinksmanship. Trying to get the best deals for your own club, you sometimes have to wait until the last day when other clubs are desperately trying to offload players.

In addition to this, it sometimes ends up with chains of players. X will buy y, but y want to buy z, but a won't be sold until P have a replacement for him.

Added to that, before competitive fixtures resume you have no idea how a side will play under a new manager.

And then there's the players. If you play at hull and saints come in for you early in the window do you go? What if you think you're better than saints? Another bigger club might come in later in the window, even if you're their 3rd of 4th choice, it's still a better move for you.

Since when has "due dilligence" been part of football. If it were half the teams would not exist and the other half would be close to closure.

its not just the buying the clubs, united wouldn't have released welbeck had they not got Falcao, if arsenal asked a week ago they would have been told he's not for sale

Interesting that two players who many on here considered to be not good enough for us (Welbeck and Remy) ended up signing for Arsenal and Chelsea respectively....

Relatively cheap stop gaps. Neither will be starters long term.

So you don't think either/both players would've strengthened our squad? IMO both Arsenal and Chelsea already had better attacking options than we did prior to the transfer window. Yet they still both decided to strengthen, with players that many on here thought weren't good enough for our squad. I think that says something about the level of target that some of our fans think we should be going for and can attract.

So you don't think either/both players would've strengthened our squad? IMO both Arsenal and Chelsea already had better attacking options than we did prior to the transfer window. Yet they still both decided to strengthen, with players that many on here thought weren't good enough for our squad. I think that says something about the level of target that some of our fans think we should be going for and can attract.

I don't think either would have been worthwhile investments. Rather save that money for someone the manager actually rates.

I don't think either would have been worthwhile investments. Rather save that money for someone the manager actually rates.

Well Arsenal's failure and their fans frustration was that Wenger didn't act sooner. Once Giroud was injured and it was so late, Welbeck is not a bad last minute signing. Better than Sanogo (right now).

>Implying it'll actually be spent when push comes to shove.

Overall, Welbeck and Remy are both good signings for clubs that had already strengthened considerably before their arrivals. They might not be regular starters, but they'll offer their teams more reliable options than Townsend or Lennon off the bench and will grab a few goals along the way. Welbeck might actually become really good if played up front, actually: his footballing intelligence, like I've mentioned before, is woefully underrated by a lot of people, and his only real drawback at present is his indecisiveness when in front of goal. Solve that and you've got yourself a fast, strong, powerful centre-forward who's both technically skilled and tactically astute, and who works hard off the ball. The complete package. Kane could become something similar, minus the pace.

Back