• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wan-Bissaka

Always better defensively for us than going forward imo, same at City. I'll agree to disagree.

It's strange then that he's spent his entire career at clubs that got their width from overlapping fullbacks

It's strange then that he's spent his entire career at clubs that got their width from overlapping fullbacks

City don't. And whilst he provided width for us, he was better at defending than he was going forwards imo. You see it differently, but I watched him the same as you and don't agree, simple as that. Walker's main strength was and is his 1v1 defensive ability, it's very rare his opponent gets the best of him, despite the odd branifart.

I see Wan Bissaka in a similar way. He'll be neat and tidy going forwards and has the athleticism to provide width if necessary, but his main strength will be locking down his flank in the way that Walker has done over his career.

Walker is a superb 1v1 defender, not technically like Maldini, but his pace allows him to recover and cover up his own mistakes. I don't think you can pick and choose which attributes to including in judging why he's a good defender. The fact is there's not many attackers who have the better of him over 90 mins.

The weakest part of his game by far is his crossing.

Walker is quite poor attacking really, his crosses were generally terrible but he has pretty good ball control and first touch so with his pace enables him to stretch the play, make the give and go's, knock round the corners etc. You can see the difference with Trippier who always checks back, Walker can do that but can also knock it past someone and run as well if needed.

Walker is quite poor attacking really, his crosses were generally terrible but he has pretty good ball control and first touch so with his pace enables him to stretch the play, make the give and go's, knock round the corners etc. You can see the difference with Trippier who always checks back, Walker can do that but can also knock it past someone and run as well if needed.

There's more to attacking than crosses. What they are trying to do is overload the opponents and force them into picking a man to track. It creates space for opportunities. Walker was great at it because he had pace and is decent on the ball.

Walker is not a good defender, in so much as he will often be caught napping, wrong side, out of position...

Walker is an excellent defender in a 1-on-1 situation.

Walker really isnt that good going forward. I think only really the Danny Rose "but he gives them something to think about" line is about his greatest strength. Used to play a nice ball up the inside channel, otherwise his passing, crossing and movement leave a lot to be desired.

Walker has Sissoko like stamina/speed/strength combinations, though is far more prone to injury.

That last attribute is fading now and will only ever get worse, not better.

Walker is not a good defender, in so much as he will often be caught napping, wrong side, out of position...

Walker really isnt that good going forward. I think only really the Danny Rose "but he gives them something to think about" line is about his greatest strength. Used to play a nice ball up the inside channel, otherwise his passing, crossing and movement leave a lot to be desired.

Walker has Sissoko like stamina/speed/strength combinations, though is far more prone to injury.

I can’t think what Guardiola saw in him to pay £50 million?

Recent displays by Alexander-Arnold have thrown Walker's current form and ability into stark relief.

I can’t think what Guardiola saw in him to pay £50 million?

I certainly cant. Thought it was a bargain at the time on our part.

I guess he was high profile and English, and could do a job.

I fully expect him to be upgraded upon, and soon, because quality wise he is one of the weakest links in that side.

Recent displays by Alexander-Arnold have thrown Walker's current form and ability into stark relief.

Absolutely.

I certainly cant. Thought it was a bargain at the time on our part.

I guess he was high profile and English, and could do a job.

I fully expect him to be upgraded upon, and soon, because quality wise he is one of the weakest links in that side.
It was a bargain on our part other than us becoming FAR weaker on our right hand side as a result.

Trent is good but is defensively weak, he has been dropped from certain games as he's seen to be weak. Even in the final most of our breaks came down that side, obviously loads of time to improve but it's not a slam dunk yet.

I do not think we have a realistic chance of signing Wan-Bssaka now Utd have allegedly had a £40m bid rejected

Some pundits were saying TAA is so good he will be a Centre-Mid soon. Not sure if true, I don't know if he has always been a right-back through-out his youth?

Trippier got a chance and showed what a difference a RB who can actually be useful in the final third makes.

For whatever reason he got the chance, by the end of the season we were happy for Walker to go. Especially at that money.

Some pundits were saying TAA is so good he will be a Centre-Mid soon. Not sure if true, I don't know if he has always been a right-back through-out his youth?

His crossing is Beckham like so I would have thought he would be better suited to being a full back or a winger. I think Rose, Gomez and TAA will be starting the majority of games for England in the near future and going forward.

You mean like most top clubs in this day and age? In fact apart from Emirates Marketing Project under Guardiola, who get most of their width from wingers and have full-backs often come inside like extra central midfielders?

Also strange that he's only got an average of just 0.6 goals and 2.8 assists in 30 starts over the last 8 PL seasons, for a full-back who's so good going forward.

Forgive the sarcastic tone; just replying in kind :p

Personally I think he's very good at getting forward (due to his pace and stamina), but not very good at doing much on the ball once he's got there. I think his goal and assist stats show that pretty clearly.

Trippier got a chance and showed what a difference a RB who can actually be useful in the final third makes.

For whatever reason he got the chance, by the end of the season we were happy for Walker to go. Especially at that money.

Trippier’s crossing ability gave us something different but walker was a much, much better defender and his pace made him a threat going forward. I think Poch gradually phased walker out of the side once he made it known that he wanted to leave. If Walker had been happy to stay then I don’t think Trippier would have got much of a look in at RB. Ultimately we made the best of it and got a decent fee for him but just over two years later we’re looking for another RB sad we’ve not replaced him sufficiently.

Back