• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Kane seems to score a lot near post.

The logic for shooting far post has always been that any rebound could fall to one of your supporting players running in, whereas at the near post it will always go out of play. I don't think the success rate of shots to near post is necessarily less.

i'm not saying they don't go in...

if Lloris lets one in like that i'll be fuming at him

The logic for shooting far post has always been that any rebound could fall to one of your supporting players running in, whereas at the near post it will always go out of play. I don't think the success rate of shots to near post is necessarily less.

I would bet you that it is.
Read. Absorb. Repent.

(If you can get over the oddly right-on use of feminine pronouns in the article)

http://www.football365.com/news/getting-caught-at-the-near-post-a-study-with-subbuteo

Do you know any goalkeepers who play to a decent standard. Go and ask them if they think letting in goals at the near post is acceptable vs far post,

Yeah but bloody hell mate, let's give him a full 90 minutes (preferably a few lots back-to-back) before we start plunging the knives in and kicking the brick out of the guy.

Fair enough, and adding to that perhaps a few more. But Poch is a fair man - it is worrying that he does not appear to trust him.

BTW not a cheap shot from me at all. I will look at the highlights and detail the moment I am talking about. The shot versus squaring to Alli is fine; Hazza does it and also gets the stinkeye from Dele. He is a striker and I see that he wants to shoot (had he clipped that to Alli I'd have been amazed and impressed).

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Guess what, Son is a very good player. Pochettino picking him over Janssen for this doesn't really say much other than that.

It wasn't exactly an easy pass for Alli. Having the shot was a decent enough decision.

Alli isn't exactly the easiest player to make the move for. He's rather unpredictable and often goes for the high flair, high risk pass or nutmeg or whatever rather than the easy obvious pass. A player still settling into the team not making what you think would have been the right move in a single incident is hardly all that noteworthy imo.

I also think Janssen is quite focused on getting goals. He's looking for opportunities for himself to score. Call it selfish, but considering the pressure on him as a striker to score and some of the reactions to what he's done so far I can't really blame him for it.

You're on the wrong incident I think mate. The one I am talking about is everything Poch would expect a breaking team to do. VJ (far from looking for a chance) appears to drop off and hang back for a hard cut back. The logic would be understandable if another player was breaking into the box, but they weren't. One incident yes, agreed, but some tell you a lot about the thought and process of a player. I admit to being hard on him, and do want him to succeed.

Fair enough, and adding to that perhaps a few more. But Poch is a fair man - it is worrying that he does not appear to trust him.

BTW not a cheap shot from me at all. I will look at the highlights and detail the moment I am talking about. The shot versus squaring to Alli is fine; Hazza does it and also gets the stinkeye from Dele. He is a striker and I see that he wants to shoot (had he clipped that to Alli I'd have been amazed and impressed).

We will see if Poch doesn't trust him in next few games (regardless of past history)
- Son was always going to get the nod in this, just scored a hatrick, and has scored a few for us this season
- Janssen is likely not match fit, he'll need some minutes to catch up.

I'd say Poch bringing him on at sqeaky bum time (much like Winks), with specific orders to keep the ball up, draw the fouls, occupy the opposition and score if the opportunity arises is some reflection that Poch is at least confident he will do a part.

I think it comes down to perspective... I think a fair number of supporters are comparing him directly with Kane but ask yourself which other top premier league team has a top quality second striker. None of them.

No one expected Kane to be the striker he is now and I think we have been spoilt in that regard.

We need to play to his strengths. he looks for a lot of 1-2's around the box. That is not the way we play with Kane. He is very good at holding it up so we need to feed him the ball get players around him to support the lay off etc. Kane plays all over and drifts in from wide. With Janssen he like to play more like a focal point. So play off him. Should mean more goals for Alli and Eriksen. He might get a lot but would be more effective.

If we cannot play him against Burnley or Swansea then we might as well sell him in the summer.

I think it comes down to perspective... I think a fair number of supporters are comparing him directly with Kane but ask yourself which other top premier league team has a top quality second striker. None of them.

No one expected Kane to be the striker he is now and I think we have been spoilt in that regard.

someone posted the stats on his total league minutes the other day, worked out at an equivalent of around 7 games I think

how did Kane do in his first 7 PL games...

I don't think he deliberately went for the near post, he just smashed it, like all others would have done in a similar situation; there's a degree of luck when it blasted at pace as to exactly what angle it will hit the goal at. He did well imo, had a split second to make a decision and went for it. More of the same please.

We will see if Poch doesn't trust him in next few games (regardless of past history)
- Son was always going to get the nod in this, just scored a hatrick, and has scored a few for us this season
- Janssen is likely not match fit, he'll need some minutes to catch up.

I'd say Poch bringing him on at sqeaky bum time (much like Winks), with specific orders to keep the ball up, draw the fouls, occupy the opposition and score if the opportunity arises is some reflection that Poch is at least confident he will do a part.

He has to trust him to a degree. As do I. As do we all.

Let's not get hung up on the 8 minutes he played here. I still believe in him and I still believe he will score a significant goal for us this season (the FA Cup beckons). But even Capt Optimist Me cannot dress up his cameo too much. He did OK.

someone posted the stats on his total league minutes the other day, worked out at an equivalent of around 7 games I think

how did Kane do in his first 7 PL games...

Genuine question here. Do you see intelligence in Janssen's game?

I saw it in Kane's once he returned from Millwall.

Genuine question here. Do you see intelligence in Janssen's game?

I saw it in Kane's once he returned from Millwall.

from what little film we have on him so far yes I do

offers out wide, holds it up, draws fouls, exactly what a late sub forward should do

well done on Kane, I wasn't sure about him until last season, I did worry he was a one season wonder for a time, in his early appearances I thought he was too slow and unbalanced, he proved me wrong

He has to trust him to a degree. As do I. As do we all.

Let's not get hung up on the 8 minutes he played here. I still believe in him and I still believe he will score a significant goal for us this season (the FA Cup beckons). But even Capt Optimist Me cannot dress up his cameo too much. He did OK.

No disagreement mate, he did ok .. its what you interpret ok to mean

- I could not expect more than ok, based just on game time, match fitness, start of his Spurs career
- I also think ok is hard to do ok in this Spurs team, the team has a rhythm and a chemistry around 11-13 players that know how/what Poch wants, know how each other plays and do it well. Even regular fringe players (e.g. Davies) struggle after extended time out until they match that rhythm.
- Work hard, don't look out of place.

He has a long way to go, and I'll answer your other question

- I see intelligence in Janssen (his drawing of fouls and his positioning at time shows it) , what we need to see from him is discipline, e.g. he is better in the box, and at times he does well and stays there, at times, he seems to get sucked out of that immediate threat area (something Kane does, but Kane I think has more to his game, Janssen needs to stay being that final threat. btw, same applies to when Son tries to play midfield instead of wing forward, he's a brick midfielder).

I think it's definitely worth giving him another season. Playing backup to Harry is a tough role, there are no guarantees with anybody. Some people say we shouldn't have sold Defoe, but Defoe needs to play every week. When he was in and out of the side for us, he didn't do so well (in his final season for us, he hit 4 in 19 in the league and 8 in 31 in all comps, not a great strike rate).

At least VJ has a season under his belt, he knows exactly what is required and what to work on. He may yet turn into a good squad player for us.

That´s a non-brainer, he will be here next season, unless Mr Levy is offered silly money, which will not happen due to his performances this year.

Back