• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Pooch bricks on Janssen. You'd wonder who's buying all these players that can't adapt to pooch's philosophy. The list just grows and grows. I'm sure he'll just tinkle away another £70m next summer #poochbuysbrickplayers
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...-Vincent-Janssen-FA-Cup-Fulham-Premier-League

He sure does , players like alderweireld, Wanyama, Son and Alli. Or perhaps is it just that when you can't afford to pay top dollar each time , you are likely to be taking a risk with the players you do buy.

He sure does , players like alderweireld, Wanyama, Son and Alli. Or perhaps is it just that when you can't afford to pay top dollar each time , you are likely to be taking a risk with the players you do buy.

If that is the route we are going down I would have much preferred to have spent 17 million (it wouldn't be that much) on someone like Long.

We wasted 57 million on players this summer - not really cheap!

He lacks agility, speed and confidence, in my opinion. I've always been under the impression that you can learn the first two by putting in the hours at the gym and getting used to the speed of the league (but maybe not?) and that the latter comes with putting in good performances. It's a bit strange that Poch will go out and criticize him now though, I think. Surely it's not going to help his confidence.

If he doesn't start today I think that's that for him. We will ship him out to one of the German clubs that want him in the summer

I don't see how this treatment is good for the club long term, what is the upside here?

This can only cause division in the dressing room.

I don't see how this treatment is good for the club long term, what is the upside here?

Reports suggest he was bought because of his fighting attributes, maybe poch is telling he's going to have to fight.

Poch is essentially saying to him that he needs to get better before he can play. Might seem harsh but then starting him in pressure games where he fails to do anything is worse.

Personally I don't think Poch would've wanted to give him the start he has had, but Kane's inury early in the season forced Poch to play Janssen.

no, i'm assuming the rest of players might want the manager to give them a chance if they hit a rough patch

same goes for players thinking of moving here too

He has a track record of giving players a chance of if they do and he thinks they can turn it around.

Davies has been kept on the team despite playing badly in previous couple of games

Lamela
Christian
Alli
Dier

To name a few

I have no problem with just not playing him, it's that combined with publicly calling him out first.

That stuff needs to stay in house.

I have no problem with just not playing him, it's that combined with publicly calling him out first.

That stuff needs to stay in house.

Maybe he's already said stuff behind closed doors?

Can't really recall him doing the same with other players - even players like Stam and Fazio

The upside is the players know if they play good enough in training and on the pitch you'll get your chance.

The whole idea that Janssen needs to come on for 20 minutes and luck a goal in to improve is confidence is ridiculous.
The likelyhood is he'll go on and run about for 20 minutes.

We don't have the same people bumping the Wimmer thread wondering why Wimmer didnt get a 20 here and there at the end of games to improve his confidence.

Poch can't keep bringing on Janssen even though he's been playing poor just because he's a striker. He's trying to run a meritocracy.

Yeah, I guess there's no need to make this a bigger thing that it necessarily is. He was on the bench, afterall. If they really had a fallout, wouldn't he be completely out of the squad?

My problem is that, as a manager you want to play your best players in most games. And not take a risk with those you don't rate as highly.
Therefore those "secondary" players will only get opportunities when you don't mind playing "secondary" players, or the game is already won. Janssen isn't getting much more than a couple of minutes in either of those situations.

so we have to assume that Janssen doesn't look as good in training as some other players who do start. That's fine, providing training is good proxy for an actual match.
However, judging by the performance of some of the players that do start or get more game time - or get on before Janssen -I'm not entirely convinced that it is a good proxy.

Kane has been through long patches of not scoring. did he look rubbish in training during this period - or did he look as good as usual, and was just unable to translate that into goals in games. But then he got along run to turn it around.
I'm not advocating dropping Kane - so it will always be tough for Janssen to get game time - but today really was a perfect opportunity.

The upside is the players know if they play good enough in training and on the pitch you'll get your chance.

The whole idea that Janssen needs to come on for 20 minutes and luck a goal in to improve is confidence is ridiculous.
The likelyhood is he'll go on and run about for 20 minutes.

We don't have the same people bumping the Wimmer thread wondering why Wimmer didnt get a 20 here and there at the end of games to improve his confidence.

Poch can't keep bringing on Janssen even though he's been playing poor just because he's a striker. He's trying to run a meritocracy.

I think one of the issues is that, if you swapped the experience of Kane and Janssen, it is quite feasible to argue that Kane could have come on for the same amount of minutes as Janssen this season and not scored either - especially given that Kane has looked out of sorts in games even when we --and he --knows from experience that he is perfectly capable of being one of the top strikers in the division, confidence that Janssen isn't yet able to draw upon.

So I find it difficult to understand why Janssen wouldn't get a run out today - unless something else is going on.

Vincent Janssen: Give me 12 months to succeed at Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur striker Vincent Janssen has asked his critics to judge him after one year at White Hart Lane.

Janssen, 22, joined Tottenham from AZ Alkmaar last summer having scored 27 goals in 34 Eredivisie games in his first season for the Dutch club.

The Netherlands international has failed to match that form this term, having managed only four goals from 27 appearances and with none coming from open play, but he says people should not criticise him just yet.

"I have given myself 12 months to succeed in the Premier League with Tottenham and those 12 months are not over yet," he is quoted by Yahoo as telling De Telegraaf. "The level is really high here. Up until last week we were second in the league.

"Don't forget I had only played one season at the highest level in Holland when Spurs bought me from AZ Alkmaar. In a short period of time I have made some big steps forward in my career.

"I'm not going to throw the towel in just because things are not going great for the first time in my career. I am jumping to put the Spurs shirt on, but I will have to prove to the coach that I deserve to play."

Janssen revealed he turned down a January move to Galatasaray as he wanted to prove himself at Tottenham instead.

"When my agent turned up with Galatasaray I told him that he had to cut off the whole thing," he said. "No way I am leaving Spurs in less than one year."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/tottenham-h...sen-give-me-12-months-to-succeed-at-tottenham

Not looking likely he is going to get too many more chances.

It's not the first time Poch has openly criticised one of his players - Sissoko has shown it's possible to survive a public humiliation by him - but to stand any chance Janssen desperately needs to start scoring, and from open play at that, pretty much the next time he gets onto the pitch. His problem is he is clearly out of favour so unless we have a terrible run of injuries combined with fixture congestion he's unlikely to get more than the odd few minutes.

Last edited:
The ONLY reason we bought Janssen (listen to the scout7 podcast where former head of Recruitment Rod MacKensie talks about the Janssen signing) was we needed someone who could deal with sitting on the bench and not get much time on the pitch.

MacKensie again here http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-scouting-the-challenge-of-buying-from-abroad

"More recently, I would argue that Vincent Janssen's personality, robustness and his ability to deal with the challenges that he had faced in his career were as important, if not more important, than his goalscoring record in the Eredivisie. As a youngster who had been released by Feyenoord he demonstrated the mental resilience to overcome that disappointment by experiencing a continual increment in game time, level of competition and output across a three-year spell, which culminated in him becoming the starting striker for the Netherlands."

Back