• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

agreed, but, it doesn't matter who scores, goals come from disruption of the defence, Janssen has (obviously) played against weaker defences so far in his career, defences easier to disrupt, the number of goals he has scored for us is as relevant as the number of goals his previous team mates have scored without him

Benzema scores goals because he's a great player in a great side who cause the opposition innumerable problems in every game, but Benzema's role in that offence is to manipulate defenders into making holes for Bale and Ronaldo

he's played 15 games in English football and the knives are out, how did Kane do in his first 15, how many Orient or Millwall fans predicted his success?

generally on number 9's, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea don't even have one, city's/boro's/southampton's/stoke's/sunderland's/swansea's/west ham's rarely play, palace have frazier campbell, the only number 9 actually doing it in the PL is Zlatan ;-)

I agree with this hugely.

I think the logic people apply to defend their favorite players they ignore when trying to point out anothers problems. People dismiss his record in Holland because the standard yet they mention going out and getting Dembele from Celtic who played in Scotland and Championship who is number one striker and went on an 8 game drought this season (For the record I like the player I am just making a point)

I agree with this hugely.

I think the logic people apply to defend their favorite players they ignore when trying to point out anothers problems. People dismiss his record in Holland because the standard yet they mention going out and getting Dembele from Celtic who played in Scotland and Championship who is number one striker and went on an 8 game drought this season (For the record I like the player I am just making a point)

dont think the philosophy is in dispute but it just doesnt fit for janssen. if it did i would say that we wouldnt be laboured when he is the lone striker...we would be more fluid no? one time passing off the front man...1st touch lay offs..pass and move....people shadow running off of him when he is pulling defenders all over, with a deft touch that means he doesnt dwell on the ball constantly.

i just dont get this feeling of ease in our play when he is the lone striker

dont think the philosophy is in dispute but it just doesnt fit for janssen. if it did i would say that we wouldnt be laboured when he is the lone striker...we would be more fluid no? one time passing off the front man...1st touch lay offs..pass and move....people shadow running off of him when he is pulling defenders all over, with a deft touch that means he doesnt dwell on the ball constantly.

i just dont get this feeling of ease in our play when he is the lone striker

But thats the thing, we sign a player like him to play a roll he maybe does not know and expect him too. For that reason I am giving him the time to adapt

Soldado was the same, never a lone striker in a million months and not the player we signed.

Footballs full of stories like it.

Occupying your defender, it's what Harry got praise for when dele scored 2 against Chelsea, yet Janssen...........

I dont think we are talking about the same thing then...look at the clip below

Look at where kane is both times. on the second one he actually runs away from Eriksen and goes into the box

now imagine if eriksen was about to cross the ball but kane run towards him ...inside the box a few metres away......and starts encouraging hold up play....thats more what i am referring to

But thats the thing, we sign a player like him to play a roll he maybe does not know and expect him too. For that reason I am giving him the time to adapt

Soldado was the same, never a lone striker in a million months and not the player we signed.

Footballs full of stories like it.

right..i agree with that.

Its the denial that he has an issue that i wont surrender to

right..i agree with that.

Its the denial that he has an issue that i wont surrender to

i'm not saying this is all going strictly to plan, just that goals alone shouldn't be used as a metric and that he's 15 days into a new job so should be cut a bit of slack

I dont think so personally..if rooney or ronaldo had the ball on the wing i dont think either would consistently be hell bent on playing hold up struggle on the edge of the box near the winger. how would ronaldo or rooney be consistent scorers from there?

I was thinking when someone else had the ball on the wing and they were both working the box

I was thinking when someone else had the ball on the wing and they were both working the box

oh definitely they were working the brick out of the pen area. but if Kanchelskis had the ball on the wing....in a stance that shows him 1 v 1 ..or in a position about to cross..can you imagine rooney or ronaldo running TO him.....on the egde of the box ...and literally searching for a defender to park their arse in front of to do a hold up play?

its a sign of nerves to me. playing it safe

i'm not saying this is all going strictly to plan, just that goals alone shouldn't be used as a metric and that he's 15 days into a new job so should be cut a bit of slack
Don't think goals scored are the only metric no more than goals conceded should be the sole measure of how good a keeper is. But they should be one of the metrics for a striker, and if they are not good then the other aspects of their game should compensate while the player adapts as you say. Unfortunately his all round play is struggling at the moment. As I have already said premier league first team players do not get a whole season to adapt unless there are mitigating circumstances like a serious injury. They need to show in that first season they have something about them worth patience. It is fair to assess him during the season with the caveat though he hasn't had the full season yet.

Last edited:
oh definitely they were working the brick out of the pen area. but if Kanchelskis had the ball on the wing....in a stance that shows him 1 v 1 ..or in a position about to cross..can you imagine rooney or ronaldo running TO him.....on the egde of the box ...and literally searching for a defender to park their arse in front of to do a hold up play?

its a sign of nerves to me. playing it safe
So what's the answer? I suspect Poch sees this and is working with him.

So what's the answer? I suspect Poch sees this and is working with him.

this is the thing. i actually think Poch either doesnt mind it..or he encourages it. such is the level of trust i have in poch that i feel that anything that happens consistently is something he is okay with/permits

i just think that Janssen needs to stop over thinking things

please is anyone is able to cut parts of a game and paste it up it would be helpful but a good example of Janssen problem was in the first half against villa on sunday in the cup...we were on a break .. a pretty good counter attack ...

janssen accidentally passes the ball to son...(by kick the ball against the opponents shin)......
Son sort of 50/50s the ball away from a coming defender and gives it to winks
Janssen runs on the right side off of winks .....
winks overpasses the ball to janseen which takes him out with

....then this happens......(take into account this was initially a counter attack that looked promising)

janssen get the ball on the wing..spends, IMV , too much time looking at his feet and trying to own the ball out there.....
he evades the first defender while running back away from the opposition penalty / danger area,
then he still has the ball and looks up weighing his options...
a second defender comes along and once again..looks to his feet to make sure ball is still there and he has control of it
evades the second defender initially
looks up and must have been thinking of something.....while still evading this second defender
the second defender eventually tackles janseen and villa get the ball back

All this happened in a few second...BUT..you would imagine that janssen had no options or no one to pass to right?

Wrong....!!

Dude had TWO players begging for the ball..Sissoko and Trippier. If you look at both of them ...they BOTH stick their hands in the air as if "WTF is wrong with this guy. whats he doing!!" they looked like people that had had enough or at the very least didnt appreciate how that had turned out.

that to me shows a kid low on confidence and nervous as hell

(plus you have to wonder if the team mates are supporting him unconditionally. we assume they are..but how do we know?)

Well it's hard to argue with that worst in the league 33-shots-0-goals stat
Janssen is a striker, he needs to score.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

here's a visual version:
11jltl5.png

Back