• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

I'm not talking about signing a £30m - £40m player. I mean a young CF who categorically doesn't expect to start. Similar sort of scenario to when Liverpool signed Origi in summer 2016 - was never going to start and didn't play much last year but was an option in the squad and could be given time.

I just don't think we have enough options at CF currently; Poch showed in the CL this year that even if a first choice player (eg Kane) wasn't starting, then they were more than likely to be on the bench. That means that that player doesn't get a mental break even if they've been rested on the bench because they still need to be ready to play and, for away games, still have the tiring aspects of travel.

We need to be able to give players a complete week off at some points otherwise it impacts performances and increases the chances of injuries. We just don't have that depth at the moment in some positions (e.g. need a back-up CF, need another genuinely decent CB and need another attacking CM)

I don't think that the squad in the first half of the season and now is a fair comparison. Son and Delete have improved significantly since then and Janssen is looking more assured in each game.

I don't think that the squad in the first half of the season and now is a fair comparison. Son and Delete have improved significantly since then and Janssen is looking more assured in each game.

And I still say having Kane as first choice and a complete all rounder along with son as a false 9 playing with Jansenn works.

People hark back all the time to the champions leagues game s but we were away every one .... a we were the better side by some way against Monaco at Wembley in what was an awful result in the basis of play. We missed a lot of chances as team that game. Leverkusen was a shocking result as they scored again with only their second shot on target and we didn't create much

Sort out the "home" form in the champions league and we will get through to the knock outs. It will be better net year with therssons we have learnt from this (as proven this year too with lessons learned from last season)

If we can get in a genuine talent that will push the first time to be even better than in all for it. But those players are rare.

One striker that maybe an option is Patrick Schick at Sampodoria

I'm not talking about signing a £30m - £40m player. I mean a young CF who categorically doesn't expect to start. Similar sort of scenario to when Liverpool signed Origi in summer 2016 - was never going to start and didn't play much last year but was an option in the squad and could be given time.

I just don't think we have enough options at CF currently; Poch showed in the CL this year that even if a first choice player (eg Kane) wasn't starting, then they were more than likely to be on the bench. That means that that player doesn't get a mental break even if they've been rested on the bench because they still need to be ready to play and, for away games, still have the tiring aspects of travel.

We need to be able to give players a complete week off at some points otherwise it impacts performances and increases the chances of injuries. We just don't have that depth at the moment in some positions (e.g. need a back-up CF, need another genuinely decent CB and need another attacking CM)

That describes Janssen.

Except Janssen will, next season, have the benefit of a full year with Poch, team mates and the club.

For me, that's a better bet than going for another young CF who will come with zero guarantees.

Really happy for him now that monkey is off his back, from the first game i saw him in i have thought there is a very good player in there. His hold up play, first touch, his strength is really good for such a young player. Now he has started to score and once Poch has a full close season with him i expect to see him do well next year.

Well done Vinny.

Really happy for him now that monkey is off his back, from the first game i saw him in i have thought there is a very good player in there. His hold up play, first touch, his strength is really good for such a young player. Now he has started to score and once Poch has a full close season with him i expect to see him do well next year.

Well done Vinny.

He looks part of the system, I actually think the team as @Bedfordspurs said an improved Son playing off Janssen, works quite well in Kane's absence.

I don't think Poch would have an issue starting in cup games next season with that option, something 3 months ago none of us would have advocated.

If he does his 10-15 minutes for rest of season and actually manages a couple more goals, could be a good setup for next season.

He looks part of the system, I actually think the team as @Bedfordspurs said an improved Son playing off Janssen, works quite well in Kane's absence.

I don't think Poch would have an issue starting in cup games next season with that option, something 3 months ago none of us would have advocated.

If he does his 10-15 minutes for rest of season and actually manages a couple more goals, could be a good setup for next season.

I agree, he is so good at holding the ball up for runners going past him and Son would fit nicely into that.

I still say that isn't his strength. His strength in holland was quick shooting but he had the ball played in front of him much more than we have done with him

You are probably right but as yet we have not had the chance to see him do that in our shirt, what we have seen his ability to hold the ball up and keep it. Lets hope that next season we see him become the player he was in Holland.

I still say that isn't his strength. His strength in holland was quick shooting but he had the ball played in front of him much more than we have done with him

He had more space/time in Holland, he has said so himself.

He's adapting, but watching him, it's hard not to come to the conclusion his hold up play is the best of any of our strikers, add that in to the Son/Dele/Eriksen runs that go beyond the main striker, you see how we can leverage it.

He's hit a few decent shots in his cameos, so will be interesting to see how he turns out. For his sake, another season under Poch would probably develop him significantly.

A lot of fans expect him to cover for Kane but that would be impossible, I've not seen any forward play like Kane in our league and I don't think there are many abroad, Janssen offers a different option, he's not as mobile as Kane, but he offers a great focal point to play off and release the ball to runners. I think he sometimes tries to hard to play to others rather than take a shot. Hopefully the goal he got on Saturday will lift a load off his back and he bags a few more in the run in.

He had more space/time in Holland, he has said so himself.

He's adapting, but watching him, it's hard not to come to the conclusion his hold up play is the best of any of our strikers, add that in to the Son/Dele/Eriksen runs that go beyond the main striker, you see how we can leverage it.

He's hit a few decent shots in his cameos, so will be interesting to see how he turns out. For his sake, another season under Poch would probably develop him significantly.

This for me as well, when we first signed him i said on here ( and most disagreed with my thoughts) that i would like to see him with Kane, Kane has the ability to come deep for the ball ( which he does a lot) and he reminds me a lot of how Sheringham used to do that behind Klinsman, i still think that would work but it looks like we will not do that now Son's game has improved so much.

You are probably right but as yet we have not had the chance to see him do that in our shirt, what we have seen his ability to hold the ball up and keep it. Lets hope that next season we see him become the player he was in Holland.

Hey his hold up play for a guy who isn't a giant is top notch

But I think we could see the player we signe did we released him quicker and also if he played more in the box

In holland he rarely had more than one touch before shooting from the games I saw

Hey his hold up play for a guy who isn't a giant is top notch

But I think we could see the player we signe did we released him quicker and also if he played more in the box

In holland he rarely had more than one touch before shooting from the games I saw

Well lets hope we see him do that more for us, i think that Poch rates him and i believe that he will be a much improved player after a full pre season.

He is starting to find his feet. Two goals from open play with little playing time. His hold up play has been impressive. He is young. I think he will get better for us. He is dealing with the pace of the Premier League, he needs to learn to move more. But he is very good at link up play.

Im happy with Him and look forward to him getting better with us.

And I still say having Kane as first choice and a complete all rounder along with son as a false 9 playing with Jansenn works.

People hark back all the time to the champions leagues game s but we were away every one .... a we were the better side by some way against Monaco at Wembley in what was an awful result in the basis of play. We missed a lot of chances as team that game. Leverkusen was a shocking result as they scored again with only their second shot on target and we didn't create much

Sort out the "home" form in the champions league and we will get through to the knock outs. It will be better net year with therssons we have learnt from this (as proven this year too with lessons learned from last season)

If we can get in a genuine talent that will push the first time to be even better than in all for it. But those players are rare.

One striker that maybe an option is Patrick Schick at Sampodoria

Agreed but I still think when we look back at the end of the season, we will recognize more clearly that we missed a lot of chances, never had our first 11 out and were still working through the Euro fatigue many of our players had (as well as the Wembley thing). I do not think the Wembley thing will be an issue next season; we've paid that tax.

Agreed but I still think when we look back at the end of the season, we will recognize more clearly that we missed a lot of chances, never had our first 11 out and were still working through the Euro fatigue many of our players had (as well as the Wembley thing). I do not think the Wembley thing will be an issue next season; we've paid that tax.

Well if you look at our euro games

We battered Monaco at Wembley in a great attacking performance but did not take our chances. We also conceded from 2 of their 3 shots

Bayer away was a fair result IMO

We obviously beat the Russians home and away but they were garbage

Bayer at Wembley was fine margins but coincided with our poorest spell

And then Monaco away we were completely outplayed IMO but did play a weakened team

When we played Gent at home we battered em even with 10 men but again silly errors cost us

Back to the conversation of sample size Jansen now has 2 goals in 792 minutes of PL football. Still not good enough looking at those numbers, but those kinds of numbers are quite common over smaller samples for most strikers.

Diego Costa now has 6 full 90 minute games without a goal for Chelsea. That's over 540 minutes without a goal. 3 goals in his last 12 games for Chelsea. Only marginally better than Janssen for us this season.

Rashford has scored a couple now, but before that he hadn't scored since September in the league.

Just as quick comparisons of strikers struggling for goalscoring form. I know Rashford plays some of his games wide, but still... IIRC Kane had a similar drought at the start of last season?

Back to the conversation of sample size Jansen now has 2 goals in 792 minutes of PL football. Still not good enough looking at those numbers, but those kinds of numbers are quite common over smaller samples for most strikers.

Diego Costa now has 6 full 90 minute games without a goal for Chelsea. That's over 540 minutes without a goal. 3 goals in his last 12 games for Chelsea. Only marginally better than Janssen for us this season.

Rashford has scored a couple now, but before that he hadn't scored since September in the league.

Just as quick comparisons of strikers struggling for goalscoring form. I know Rashford plays some of his games wide, but still... IIRC Kane had a similar drought at the start of last season?

Wow, data and context in the same post

Yup... Kane's league record at the start of 15/16 season...

ManU
Stoke (subbed off after 64 minutes)
Leicester
Everton
Sunderland
Crystal Palace
Emirates Marketing Project (first goal of season, in 61st minute)
Swansea (subbed after 81 minutes, having scored an own goal)
Liverpool

Minutes played: 775
Goals scored: 1

Then he scored a hat trick at Bournemouth and the rest is history...

Back