• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vietnam or Bali?

Lugash

Rohan Ricketts
Hi there

Off to one of these two in May/June with a friend for 2 weeks - narrowed down after a lot of faffing and deciding Thailand and Cambodia are just too hot (35c plus), whereas Vietnam and Bali are a little more manageable.

Anyone able to advise which might be best?

We're basically looking for interesting things to see, with neither of us having been to Asia, but also for a proper, relaxing break as well. Good food, strolling around, and nice relaxed culture would suit us, as opposed to any sort of wild nightlife (although a vibey atmosphere is welcomed). We are on a relatively small budget.

My guess would be that Vietnam will much more action packed, but probably more interesting.

Thanks!

Hi there

Off to one of these two in May/June with a friend for 2 weeks - narrowed down after a lot of faffing and deciding Thailand and Cambodia are just too hot (35c plus), whereas Vietnam and Bali are a little more manageable.

Anyone able to advise which might be best?

We're basically looking for interesting things to see, with neither of us having been to Asia, but also for a proper, relaxing break as well. Good food, strolling around, and nice relaxed culture would suit us, as opposed to any sort of wild nightlife (although a vibey atmosphere is welcomed). We are on a relatively small budget.

My guess would be that Vietnam will much more action packed, but probably more interesting.

Thanks!

Haven't been to Vietnam yet, but have been to Bali. It was about 11 years ago though so my memory is fading and things might have changed.
I think we spent just over a week there, as it was on the back of some time in Singapore. We started in Ubud, which I recall as being the main town (outside of the capital), a cultural centre, very arty, a bit spiritual, some elaborate temple complexes. We spent a couple of nights there, and then hired what I think must have been the lowest-grade jeep thing to take us around the island. A real bone rattler where the window fell down every time you shut the driver's door and with so little power in it that we had to chug uphill in first gear praying that we'd make it to the top before the engine stalled. Memories! I can't remember the names of the other places we stayed, just that we went to the north of the island and then anti-clockwise round and down to the southern coast where we spent the last couple of days by a quiet beach at what is probably the weirdest place I've ever stayed. There is a very vibrant, touristy beach scene in Bali as well, which we avoided as a) it wasn't really what we wanted and b) there had, at the time, been a number of terrorist bombings in the area targeted at tourists. I haven't heard of anything like that in recent years though.
My main memory of Bali is of a beautiful, scenic island. Good food, friendly people. We spent a lot of time walking through paddy fields, climbing the field terraces etc, or just relaxing in the hotels where we stayed. And we visited lots of temples along the way. Tbh some were interesting but after a while we did get a bit "templed-out". I'd imagine Vietnam could be similar, but with a lot more to do. And I think Vietnam is still pretty cheap, Bali not so much nowadays (but that's hearsay).

I don't know how much research you do before travelling but personally I will always read a Rough Guide or Lonely Planet (usually both) to get a feel for what I want to see. They have a fair bit available free on their respective websites too but I love reading the books. The other source of information I swear by is Trip Advisor, which might sound odd. Not the hotel / restaurant reviews section (although that has its uses), but the Trip Advisor Travel Forums. There is such a wealth of information posted there. Some dross, but some very valuable, helpful info as well.
Or there is the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum - again, a lot of information, although I find the Trip Advisor forum layout more user friendly.

Anyway, I probably haven't really answered your question as I can't compare the two destinations. But answering your post has bought back some memories, so thanks for that!
Good luck with your choice, and maybe post back after your trip.

I was in Vietnam this time last year, never been to Bali but know lots who have. It's nice but if you're looking for variety then it's obviously only one island though you can travel to others obviously.

I can highly recommend Vietnam, one of our fav holidays. It's a beautiful country and has such a mix of everything - you can go to Halong Bay and see the lovely islands and caves, old quarter in Hanoi. Rice fields in Sapa which are absolutely beautiful, there's great trekking available here too. Then theres Hoi An which is an old ancient town with a canal running through it, amazing scenery and you can do cycling trips for the day etc. Then there's Saigon which has all the nightlife and lots of other attractions, trips to the tunnels etc. It's also very cheap - most meals were £1-£2 and a beer was about £1 and the food is amazing, hotels are very cheap - I was staying in some lovely places for £50 a night. The people were all very friendly and it was easy to get around. I didn't actually visit any beaches there but I think they are nicer in Bali, there also isn't much nightlife apart from in Saigon but sounds like you aren't looking for that anyway. The cities (like most countries in Asia) can be pretty hectic with a lot of traffic but there's loads of calmer places outside you can visit. Hoi An for instance is pedestrainised.

In summary I don't think you can go wrong with Vietnam - if you do fancy it then now is the time to go. In Hoi An loads of big American hotel chains are building huge resorts near the airport so I think it will change quite a bit over the next few years and get over saturated.

I enjoyed Vietnam too. I tended to stay in 'Homestays' Pretty much a B+B but a lot of the time you would be invited to have meals with the family or they would help organise you a tour or lend you a bicycle. Was cheaper than £50 a night too!

My main memory of Bali was persuading my girlfriend to stay up until 4am so we could watch Spurs vs Blackburn or something... anyway at 2am we got to the bar and they were showing the Merseyside derby instead. She was not well and was vomming in the ladies, while I watched the game. It was a bit embarrassing as I could hear her vomming over the commentary. I can't remember if we won or lost. Halcyon days.

100% Vietnam

Bali is where bogan aussies go on holidays. Food is dreadful, the sand is grey and women aren't that fit. Vietnam is cool architecturally, locals are fun, food is amazing and beaches are pretty good. Both are similar cost wise but Vietnam has much more culture/history.

If you avoid Kuta Bay you avoid the Aussies in Bali, i thought, rest of the island is supposed to be great and the Gilli Islands are well worth a schlep for a few days too.

Word if warning though - check your drinks for ice if you do go and make sure it's store bought, spent most of my two weeks there in bed sick, lost a ton of weight though so every cloud...

Last edited:
If you avoid Kuta Bay you avoid the Aussies in Bali, i thought, rest of the island is supposed to be great and the Gilli Islands are well worth a schlep for a few days too.

Word if warning though - check your drinks for ice if you do go and make sure it's store bought, spent most of my two weeks there in bed sick, lost a ton of weight though so every cloud...
Bali or Gilli?
Isn't the ice in Bali supposed to be ok? I thought it was regulated by govt.

I enjoyed Vietnam too. I tended to stay in 'Homestays' Pretty much a B+B but a lot of the time you would be invited to have meals with the family or they would help organise you a tour or lend you a bicycle. Was cheaper than £50 a night too!
10 years ago spent 6 weeks in Vietnam - there were sleeper buses all the way up and I was bartering decent hotels (compared to Cambodia / China) for around $12 per night for a double room.

I thought Vientam was great, lots of variation between regions / towns and English spoken most places. Food was fresh, great and dirt cheap, Mountains / Bays /War stuff* and lots of bars if you are into that sort of thing. Since I went my sister and parents went and they were not too impressed and preferred Thailand, they are more into luxury and service than myself so I would consider this when deciding.

*In Vietnam they call the Vietnam war the American War - obvious because all of their wars would be Vietnam wars.

In Bali, though we're talking 12 years ago

Bali belly is all too real. Not sure if it's the ice or the general lack of kitchen hygiene on our poor western stomachs.

Gili Islands are definitely worth visiting. Gili T is a complete backpacking party scene but with no cars its still quite a nice place to spend a few nights. Same with Lombok.

Back