• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

how do you think it will pan out for him/dier/the midfield then?

I think both of them will start the season as the 2 central midfielders in front of the back 4 and that will be the first choice pairing. If he is playing well he will keep his place, simple.
Dembele does not seem to be able to play more than one match a week so will rotate in and out of the team either with Dier or Wanyama or with one of the attacking midfield positions.

Interesting conundrum for och now. Winks and Carol looked so dynamic moving the ball well. The beef of Wanyama, Dembele, Dier couldn't pass and move like the more slight, agile technical players can. Poch certainly has a range of midfield weapons to deploy this season. Need to shut out a game? Deploy the beef of Wanyama, Dembele, and Dier. Teams would have to use the width or a set piece, it would be hard to play through those 3!

Need some guile and passing, when there's space to play? We have some technical tricky midfielders from Lamela, Eriksen, Carol, Winks, Mason, Alli who are a real handful if they get space to play.

How /does Poch combine the two?

Wembley is that bigger pitch ... we may see some surprising selections if your theory/assessment is correct

Chuffed for Wanyama to get the winning goal. Should help him build his confidence. I think he could deploy his ability going forward. At the moment, its been trained out of him. Presumably from last season when his job was to sit. But at Celtic, and with his strength, he can move forward with the ball into space. A bit like Demeble does. When there was space, he looked hesitant to exploit it, more confident to turn and pass. But I think it will come, Poch will turn him into a more rounded midfielder.

Last edited:
Chuffed for Wanyama to get the winning goal. Should help him build his confidence. I think he could deploy his ability going forward. At the moment, its been trained out of his. Presumably from last season when his job was to sit. But at Celtic, and with his strength, he can move forward with the ball into space. A bit like Demeble does. When there was space, he look hesitant to exploit it, more confident to turn and pass. But I think it will come, Poch will turn him into a more rounded midfielder.

I think you're so right about Poch and his expectations of the players. It's not enough for him that they play well he appears to want them to improve as players and expand their skill sets.

I think you're so right about Poch and his expectations of the players. It's not enough for him that they play well he appears to want them to improve as players and expand their skill sets.

And Wanyama can improve a lot. My suspicion is Poch rates his raw attributes - the distance he can run, his athleticism, his core technical skills - but has plans for him. Like Dembele before, Poch will have developed a plan for Wanyama, build his confidence, and try and get him to unleash his presence going forward too. Same applies to Dier. Both can become more rounded players. Defensive bricks who can also drive into attack. Driving into attack is not something either do all the time, but both show promise that they can. Poch will work on that.

Its only the lads second game, so he's still settling. Against Everton there was more attacking creativity from our CBs than CMs, but yesterday, both Dier and Wanyama showed more willing to impose themselves going forward.

I don't think Poch knows his best team yet. Could Dembele slot in at #10? Is Alli key? Does Alli help knit together the team? Where should Eriksen play? Should a creative player such as Alli, Winks, Eriksen or Dembele partner one of Dier or Wanyama? We haven't changed the team much this season, but the 2 quality additions means there is some work for Poch to do figuring out the best starting 11, and how he'll rotate them etc.

Short term, selecting either Dier or Wanyama makes sense with Dembele taking the second birth - as he is more able attacking. 3 players for 2 places and the onus on Wanyama (and Dier) to develop their attacking game. 3 huge players! With Toby at the heart of a settled back 4, behind two players who could play CB themselves, we should have another sound defence this season. Just need to get the transition into attack right now, and for that, these defensive midfielders have to become more rounded, impose themselves going forward as well as they do defensively.

Last edited:
This guy has ability and i do think he will be a very good player for us, i never took much notice of him at Southampton and i have been impressed by what he has done so far. Having seen him in the flesh for us he seems to be more of a all round player then some fans have suggested, he is cool under pressure and his reading of the game has been good so far, his passing is a lot better then was suggested as well.

This guy has ability and i do think he will be a very good player for us, i never took much notice of him at Southampton and i have been impressed by what he has done so far. Having seen him in the flesh for us he seems to be more of a all round player then some fans have suggested, he is cool under pressure and his reading of the game has been good so far, his passing is a lot better then was suggested as well.
^this

Funny how people see things differently.

For me, he seems a good bit worse on the ball than Dier and significantly worse than Dembele. Hopefully there's more there than I've seen so far, but he appears to be more weighted towards defence than the rest of our midfield.

Back