• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ultimate Spurs 11 from your time following Spurs

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
.................................Lloris...................................
Perryman........Alderweireld.......King...................Mabbutt
..................Hoddle...................Modric.......................
Waddle.......................Gascoigne............................Bale
..................................Kane....................................

Had trouble with the LB slot and wanted Mabbutt in as he is one of my favourite players.

Last edited:
-----------------------------------Lloris-----------------------------------

-------------------Toby-----------King-----------Verts------------------

Walker----------------Carrick------------Modric------------------Bale

------------------------------------VdV------------------------------------

--------------------------Kane-----------Berba--------------------------

This is incredibly harsh (in my opinion) on seven players I had to leave out despite their overall excellence - and I'll list them by way of apology.

Firstly, Gomes - yes, he had a disaster in him, but goddamn, did he have the ability to make *miracles* happen. I'll never forget his performance against Arsenal at the Lane back in that magical 09-10 season - I still cannot understand how he made some of the saves he did that night. The way he clawed Van Persie's unstoppable shot out of the top corner still amazes me - his point-blank save from Judas *astounds* me. And he did that time and time again across those wild Harry years (when he was first choice/battling with Cudicini, anyway).

Yes, he had a disaster in him. But he could make saves Lloris simply *cannot* - I don't think anyone could, or can. Lloris wins out because he's the most consistently excellent keeper I've seen at Spurs - but Gomes epitomized us, streakiness and all.

Secondly, Woodgate - he wasn't in the first team for all that long, but his partnership with Ledley back in 08-09 was the most brilliantly solid one I had yet seen in almost a decade of watching Spurs by that point. Assured, impregnable, unflappably calm - it was the ideal defensive combination. And, of course, he was the man who scored the winning goal that led to the last piece of silverware we had the honor of lifting, almost ten years ago now. :)

Thirdly, Daws. Could he pass? No, not really. Could he run? No, not really. Today, he would be hopelessly limited in a Spurs side where even the token 'physical' centre-back can nonchalantly flick the ball over an onrushing forward's head before pinging it fifty yards to Harry at the other end of the field (take a bow, Davinson).

But that didn't matter. Because what Daws had above all else was a heart - a stout, determined, unyieldingly brave *heart* that beat in tune to the songs echoing from the stands back in those uncertain days of our early ascent. You could always count on Daws - he wouldn't let you down, because he'd leave his blood, sweat and tears on the field every time, every week, every season. And, many, many times, that mattered much more to us than any amount of skill and panache.

Fourthly, Benny. Not only was he a damn good left-back under Harry, but he was one of the most memorable players I've ever had the joy of seeing at Spurs. If it wasn't for the necessity of fitting Bale in *somewhere* (and providing a foil for Walker down the right), he would definitely have been in.

Fifth, Lennon - little Azza, burning down the flank like lightning in a hurricane. I have an enduring fondness for Lennon, and I've never quite forgiven the club for treating him so shabbily at the end - he gave us almost a decade of service, and a catalogue of wonderful moments, and we threw him aside like he was a Stambouli or a Fazio. Like an easy come, easy go type. It was unfair. It was pretty callous. And, whatever the club thinks, I'll always be grateful to him for all the memories he gave me - gave *us*.

Sixth, Eriksen. Christian is one of the best attacking midfielders we've ever had, and one of the most complete - an extremely hard-working, down-to-earth, technically gifted creator who can do just about everything. And he's only 25 to boot. If it hadn't been for me being head-over-heels in love with VdV to this day, he would have been in.

And, finally, Defoe. When he was at the club, he f*cking frustrated me with how streaky he was and how easy it was to defend against him at times towards the end of his tenure at the Lane. But, looking back, it wasn't his fault - he was a lightning-quick poacher in an age when that type of player was falling out of fashion, and he still managed to stay relevant and stay dangerous throughout his time with us (unlike, say, Bent). So, I think he deserves all sorts of credit - it's just a shame Berba was better technically than anyone else I've ever seen at the club save for Modric, and that Kane is, well, Kane. :p

Honorable other mentions - Robinson, Corluka, Hudd, Steed, Keane-(goddamn it, forgetting him warrants shooting) and all the rest of the current lot. Alli, Son, Dier, Wanyama, Rose, all of 'em.

Last edited:
Ghod, you make me feel old.

If it helps, I look at the people on Reddit (r/coys) and *I* definitely feel old, because they're mostly college-age Americans and I've got between five to ten years on them. Well, that and I've got so much cynicism in me that I really can't bear to watch their naive optimism and faith. :p

Hard to choose, but let's see.

Lloris
Walker - King - Alderweireld - Rose
Bale - Modric - Gazza - VDV
Kane - Berbatov

Very offensive midfield, that. :p

Honorable mentions - Lineker, Klinsmann, Sheringham, Carr, Alli, Son, Eriksen, Wanyama, Vertonghen, Keane, Defoe, Lennon, Carrick etc.

I'll do it from the first game I went to at WHL, which was in 1994:

-------------lloris
walker---toby-----king----rose
--------carrick---modric
---eriksen-----dele------bale
--------------kane

bench: friedel, vertonghen, carr, anderton, lennon, sheringham, klinsmann

*edit - manager is Poch, of course.

Last edited:
I have no idea how people are picking VdV over Eriksen. Eriksen is a much better player than VdV was for us.

*edit -- dele too for that matter, infact dele and VdV played the same kind of role and I'd say Dele is much better at it.

I have no idea how people are picking VdV over Eriksen. Eriksen is a much better player than VdV was for us.

Yeah, true, I'll easily admit to that - but I had a deep man crush on VDV, so I couldn't not include him. :p I had a "favorite player" when I was a kid in Gazza and later Sheringham - and I haven't really had one until we got VDV, so he just had to be in the team.

You could always pick a dishiest 11 as well

We've had some damn fine looking players in my time.

Niko and Ginola are on the flanks. BAE had a certain something. All crossing it in for the big man upfront, Mr. Ginger Pele himself.

Back