• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ugo Ehiogu

So shocking. Looked fit as a fiddle. Thoughts to his family and the Spurs family. What a sad day.

Absolutely shocking news, thoughts are with the family and friends but also everyone connected with the club who will be devastated by this. Unbelievable really, so so young..........far too young to go now.......never usually shocked by anything but this is just terrible. We were constantly linked with him from around 1995-1998 and I always wanted us to buy him but our finances would never allow it. I believe he was also a Spurs fan growing up so he really was right at home with us.

Hope the players can put on a show for him tomorrow and ultimately for the rest of the season and a dedicate a trophy win in his honour.

RIP Ugo

So shocking. Looked fit as a fiddle. Thoughts to his family and the Spurs family. What a sad day.

The problem with some medical problems you can look really healthy but inside things are simply not working the way they should and by the time you find out it is just too late.

Just watched Merson's tribute to Ehiogu on Sky Sports. Absolute tearjerker. No matter how much a footballer/coach/pundit can be disliked, we're all human.

C98AdpFXoAAAslJ.jpg

C98Bsm_WsAAj_PN.jpg

C98CjoCXUAEnfzV.jpg

The problem with some medical problems you can look really healthy but inside things are simply not working the way they should and by the time you find out it is just too late.
You would think they would have themselves checked out though.

Sad news, feel for his family. Did he have kids?

Obituary - Ugo Ehiogu
Posted on 21 April 2017 - 13:45

Ugo Ehiogu is someone who will be remembered with a smile throughout the football landscape. A 20-year playing career saw him make over 500 appearances for some of the biggest clubs in England and Scotland and he was a full international with England.
ugo730e.jpg

After calling time on his playing days, he turned his hand to coaching and joined our Academy set-up full-time in July, 2014.

Born in Hackney on November 3, 1972, Ugochuku ‘Ugo’ Ehiogu spent time at the well-known youth football team Senrab FC in east London though it was with West Bromwich Albion that he eventually turned professional having come through their youth ranks as a trainee.

A central defender, he made two substitute appearances for Albion before being signed by Aston Villa in July, 1991, and over the course of the next nine years, he became a lynchpin of their defence. Ugo played 237 times in the league for Villa, scoring 12 goals including a winner against Spurs at White Hart Lane in August, 1995.

In total, he made over 300 appearances in all competitions for them and was part of the Villa team which won the League Cup in 1996, playing in their 3-0 defeat of Leeds United at Wembley Stadium.

Ugo moved to Middlesbrough in November, 2000, his calm, composed nature coupled with his excellent defensive qualities ensuring he once again became a mainstay of their side, re-establishing a partnership at the back with Gareth Southgate, whom he had spent many years playing alongside at Aston Villa.

More League Cup success followed for Ugo at Boro as he played in their 2-1 win over Bolton Wanderers in the final of 2004, staged at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and during his seven-year stay on Teesside, he made 126 league appearances and scored seven goals.

After a two-month loan spell with Leeds United in November, 2006, Ugo left Middlesbrough and joined Scottish side Rangers in January, 2007. He only spent a year at Ibrox, though it was during that time that he produced one of the most iconic moments of his career. His first goal for the club was an overhead kick which helped them beat rivals Celtic and was voted by Rangers fans as their ‘goal of the season’.

His playing career drew to a close at Sheffield United, where he spent 18 months and featured 26 times after joining in January, 2008, calling time on his playing days in August, 2009.

Ugo also won four caps for England during his career, making his debut under Terry Venables in a 3-0 friendly win against China in Beijing in May, 1996. He scored his one and only goal for his country in Sven-Goran Eriksson’s first game in charge as England beat Spain 3-0 – ironically at Villa Park – while he also featured as a second-half substitute for the Three Lions at White Hart Lane, in a 2-0 friendly defeat to the Netherlands. His final cap was against Italy in March, 2002.

While completing his coaching badges, Ugo spent time working with our youth teams during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons and he was also added to England’s Under-20s backroom staff for their World Cup campaign in the summer of 2013.

He became the full-time coach of our Under-21s - later reclassified as Under-23s - in July, 2014, and for the last three years has selflessly, diligently and enthusiastically played a key role in the development of our young players.

Not once did he boast of his glittering playing career. Working at a level very different to that at which he'd played and excelled, he carried himself with the utmost humility, was a good and willing listener to those inside and outside of our coaching and playing staff and took personal pride in helping each individual player to improve, no detail overlooked during countless hours of training and guidance.

He stuck by his players week in, week out, no matter the results on the field and when it was time to go home, he'd turn away from the exit door and instead go and lend his experience to coaching sessions for our younger age groups.

His passion for the beautiful game shone through every day, reflected in his beaming, unwavering smile.

Away from football, Ugo was passionate about music and following his playing days he helped set up the record label Dirty Hit, whose roster boasts a number of exciting bands and artists.

Ugo passed away on April 21 at the age of 44. The thoughts of everyone at Tottenham Hotspur are with his family and friends at this sad time.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/obituary-ugo-ehiogu-210417/?utm_source=Direct

I don't know much about his coaching, but he was a superb centre back. One of my favourite non-Spurs EPL players ever.

I was so gutted when we lost out to Middlesborough for him in 2000. Him and Campbell would have been a fantastic pairing.

I can't believe he only got 4 England caps. Southgate, Adams and Campbell were pretty tough competition, but I can't believe Venables took Howey in 1996 and Hoddle took Keown in 1998. Oh for an English centre back half as good as him now.

Some highlights from a BBC interview a few years ago:

What sort of advice do you give to the youngsters you are mentoring?

I try to teach them about the mental side of the game. A lot of young players aren't getting in the first team, they don't understand why and they don't always react well to what managers are saying. At that age I wish I had some help.

Do young players earn too much?

Yes. I started at West Brom as a YTS on £29.50 a week - rising to £35 a week. Some kids I see now are on £6-700 a week at the age of 17. If they don't make the grade, how do they come back to reality?

If they have to sign for Barnet or a Dagenham they take a massive wage cut, and it's a big transition. It's just a shame that they get so much before they've even done anything.

When I joined Aston Villa at 18, I was on £300 a week, and I got a £7,000 signing-on fee. It was a lot more than my peers were earning, I was lucky. I was also lucky that my dad had always drummed into me to look after my money which served me well.

How close did you come to making the final Euro 96 squad?

Terry Venables was very up front with me. Tony Adams was struggling with an injury so Tel said to me that he was taking me to China and if Tony didn't make it I would be drafted in.

I made my debut in China which didn't make Villa chairman Doug Ellis happy because he had to pay me extra wages! I missed out in the end but it was a superb experience.

Who was the scariest manager you had?

Sam Allardyce gave me the biggest telling off. He was my reserve team manager at West Brom right at the start of my career and ripped me a new earhole.

I was always taught to try and pass the ball and play from centre-back and he ripped into me. He did not want me fannying about, he called it. That made me grow up quickly. He was in my face, spit was flying everywhere but you couldn't wipe it off, he would have taken me down, he is a big man.

But I've had a laugh and a joke with him about it many times over the years whenever I see him - I've got a lot of time for Big Sam.

Any regrets?

I should have left Villa a bit earlier. I'd gone stale there. I had a few talks with Emirates Marketing Project, Spurs and Manchester United about moving, just before they won the treble in 1999.

It came off the back of Dwight Yorke and Mark Bosnich going there. There was some interest but Villa made it difficult for me. I was held to ransom a bit. I'd signed a new contract and they were going to decide which club I could join. They wanted me to go to Middlesbrough so that's how it went.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20274388

Sam Allardyce gave me the biggest telling off. I was always taught to try and pass the ball and play from centre-back and he ripped into me. He did not want me fannying about, he called it. That made me grow up quickly. He was in my face, spit was flying everywhere but you couldn't wipe it off, he would have taken me down, he is a big man.

All of England gives thanks to the two undercover Telegraph reporters who stung Allardyce

I had a few talks with Spurs about moving

:(

I just keep shaking my head every time I see this. Regardless of him being our U23s coach or not, he's well liked and loved and admired across the footballing nation but most of all he's a family man and if you take football out of the equation he's still the same person.

Football is irrelevant when you think about the grand old scheme of things.

Whether we win or lose the premiership or the fa cup semi final it really doesn't matter. Life comes first and let us think about his family and friends.

I hope we win the league of fa cup for Ugo, but really it's not the be all or end all. Life isn't about football, it's about life.

RIP Ugo.

GGG

Of all the celebrities that have passed away over the last few years I have to admit this has hit me the most. I know he's not like a music or actor type celebrity but I mean famous people that were in the limelight. This man was doing what he loved and helping others. I'm so sad about this, I don't know if it's because he was Spurs for the last 3 years or not, it probably is, but I just really don't understand why people die so young. Especially the good. It just makes no sense.

Back