• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

UEFA approve Nations League

Yiddo

Cecil Poynton
UEFA have approved the launch of a Nations League from 2018.

The new tournament will be played every second year after it received unanimous support from UEFA's 54 member associations in Kazakhstan.

Countries can win qualifying places for the 2020 European Championship if they perform well in the league, which will replace the majority of friendlies.

The exact format of the competition is yet to finalised, but is expected to feature 54 countries split into four divisions according to rankings, with promotion and relegation.

"We accept and respect that all UEFA member associations have agreed to create a new competition," said Wolfgang Niersbach, chairman of the National Teams Competition Committee.

"This is a big step for national teams in Europe and we hope that fans will support the format."

The Football Association have welcomed the introduction of the tournament.

Alex Horne, General Secretary of the FA, told Sky Sports News: "It's a positive one. We've been working on this for perhaps 18 months now as a collective.

"I think what we have got in front of us with the Nations League is the prospect of some really exciting fixtures followed by the qualification games.

"For an England player, for manager Roy Hodgson, you want to be taking part in those big games."

Horne insists club managers should back the new competition and eased concerns about the increased workload of players.

"We're not taking any more dates so it's the same 18 dates, the nine double-headers that we agreed we would work to," he said.

"I think better quality games make for better quality development of players and the club managers ought to embrace it."

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan backed Horne, saying: "This is great news, particularly for some of the smaller countries across UEFA.

"This will make better use of friendly dates, potentially create greater financial rewards and, more importantly for smaller countries, it's the opportunity for extra play-offs and qualification places for the European finals themsleves."

UEFA president Michel Platini announced the new competition at a press conference and said it would replace friendlies that "nobody wants".

The Frenchman said: "The friendlies don't really interest anybody - neither the fans nor the players nor the media and nor the national associations.

"This is a good decision because nobody wants these friendlies."

The timing of the Nations League could conflict with proposals to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter, however.

Platini added: "I think we will adapt ourselves - the World Cup is the priority. I don't know when it will take place in 2022 but we will organise this with respect to those dates."

http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-Worl...fa-approve-launch-of-nations-league-from-2018

UEFA have approved the launch of a Nations League from 2018.

The new tournament will be played every second year after it received unanimous support from UEFA's 54 member associations in Kazakhstan.

Countries can win qualifying places for the 2020 European Championship if they perform well in the league, which will replace the majority of friendlies.

The exact format of the competition is yet to finalised, but is expected to feature 54 countries split into four divisions according to rankings, with promotion and relegation.

"We accept and respect that all UEFA member associations have agreed to create a new competition," said Wolfgang Niersbach, chairman of the National Teams Competition Committee.

"This is a big step for national teams in Europe and we hope that fans will support the format."

The Football Association have welcomed the introduction of the tournament.

Alex Horne, General Secretary of the FA, told Sky Sports News: "It's a positive one. We've been working on this for perhaps 18 months now as a collective.

"I think what we have got in front of us with the Nations League is the prospect of some really exciting fixtures followed by the qualification games.

"For an England player, for manager Roy Hodgson, you want to be taking part in those big games."

Horne insists club managers should back the new competition and eased concerns about the increased workload of players.

"We're not taking any more dates so it's the same 18 dates, the nine double-headers that we agreed we would work to," he said.

"I think better quality games make for better quality development of players and the club managers ought to embrace it."

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan backed Horne, saying: "This is great news, particularly for some of the smaller countries across UEFA.

"This will make better use of friendly dates, potentially create greater financial rewards and, more importantly for smaller countries, it's the opportunity for extra play-offs and qualification places for the European finals themsleves."

UEFA president Michel Platini announced the new competition at a press conference and said it would replace friendlies that "nobody wants".

The Frenchman said: "The friendlies don't really interest anybody - neither the fans nor the players nor the media and nor the national associations.

"This is a good decision because nobody wants these friendlies."

The timing of the Nations League could conflict with proposals to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter, however.

Platini added: "I think we will adapt ourselves - the World Cup is the priority. I don't know when it will take place in 2022 but we will organise this with respect to those dates."

http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-Worl...fa-approve-launch-of-nations-league-from-2018

Think this is a great idea. Been saying to friends for years that it would be good to see an international league of sorts. I think England will be relegated first season though!

I'd rather have a league table situation, I can't remember what this type of league is called but you can challenge the teams up to x places above you, so lets say 3 places.

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Holland
4. France
5. England
6. Italy

In the made up scenario above England couldn't go top, but could challenge Germany to a game. If England beat Germany they'd go 2nd and I guess Germany will either be pushed down a place as England would have gone above them or it could be a swap of positions with Germany to 5th.

All the teams in the top 8 will be seeded for the next european qualifying campaign. Teams will be allowed to make x challenges and have to accept x challenges from the teams below them.

I'd rather have a league table situation, I can't remember what this type of league is called but you can challenge the teams up to x places above you, so lets say 3 places.

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Holland
4. France
5. England
6. Italy

In the made up scenario above England couldn't go top, but could challenge Germany to a game. If England beat Germany they'd go 2nd and I guess Germany will either be pushed down a place as England would have gone above them or it could be a swap of positions with Germany to 5th.

All the teams in the top 8 will be seeded for the next european qualifying campaign. Teams will be allowed to make x challenges and have to accept x challenges from the teams below them.
So like a ladder?

So like a ladder?

exactly that. There'd have to be loads of rules about challenges to make it fair.

Top 8 would be pot 1 for the qualifiers, 8-16 next pot etc etc.

Maybe make it so pot 2 can challenge a team from pot?

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Holland
4. France
5. England
6. Italy

So what's the incentive for Germany to accept the challenge of England?

How about every international manager within UEFA, CONCAF, COMMEBOL etc gets one vote each for the federation to select a manager to represent them. Each manager can then choose a squad of 23 players from countries of their federation.

It then plays out like the Six Nations. Except you've got a Europe XI Vs a South America XI. Would be totally ****ing sweet.

Back