• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tony Pulis 24 years of killing football

philspursuk

Sean Davis
Hate this man for killing football. He's been earning a living out of this for too long. Obviously has a skill for it, but not able to develop his skill into getting his teams to play football.
The stand out game for me was a few seasons ago 2011 away to Stoke, yes the ref had a nightmare but it was like watching a Rugby match.
Goes against so much of what we like at Tottenham.

JS82274225.jpg

Last edited:
Playing to your strengths and developing a strong defense is not prohibited. Accusing the style of play of other teams is just childish. It might not be pretty, but they only try to be extremely good at defending. And it works.

He's skilled at being a prokaryote and getting a team of unloveable, barely sentient cloggers to play Neolithic football. He makes it work. Nothing illegal or immoral about that, so credit to him, and there's no shame in admitting that he has our number, making the prospect of ever getting three points against his sides a remote one.

However, it doesn't mean he isn't a c*nt.

As an addendum, though, West Brom have the nucleus of a good, ball-playing side in Rondon (yes, he played some pretty stuff at times), our Chadders and Brunt, who showed some skill when he came on. If that orc ever left, they could definitely punch above their weight, I think.

His teams are well organised, fit and like to press, whats the problem? Hes one of the better managers in the league.

prokaryote

noun

BIOLOGY
  1. a microscopic single-celled organism which has neither a distinct nucleus with a membrane nor other specialized organelles, including the bacteria and cyanobacteria.

He is good at what he does, but its not something i would pay to go and see every week.

Pretty much this. Stoke fans eventually got sick of him and forced him out without ever calling for him to be sacked if you know what I mean, and they were right as Hughes has kept them in the Prem but has improved the style of play.

Hate the way his teams go about things but he's good at it.

ridiculous thread, if wba played gung-ho and 3 upfront, they would be relegated, he sets his team out to get a result, entertainment is secondary, I admire Pulis for the jobs he's done with the lesser lights of this league, good man, better coach.

Good post. We don't want to become like Cesc Fabregas i.e. a whiny little bitch who has a pop at opposition managers because they do not roll over and let Arsenal/Chelsea score 5 goals against them.

Pretty much this. Stoke fans eventually got sick of him and forced him out without ever calling for him to be sacked if you know what I mean, and they were right as Hughes has kept them in the Prem but has improved the style of play.

Hate the way his teams go about things but he's good at it.

Yep, i know from experience that one of the hardest things to coach a team in is to be as defensive minded has his teams always are. People may think its easy to do but it takes many hours to get everyone on the same wave length and for it to work as well as it does for WBA and before that Stoke.

Yep, i know from experience that one of the hardest things to coach a team in is to be as defensive minded has his teams always are. People may think its easy to do but it takes many hours to get everyone on the same wave length and for it to work as well as it does for WBA and before that Stoke.

Yep. Wenger said a couple of years ago that it was easy to set teams up to defend as a dig at Chelsea. Then Mourinho fired back with "if defending was easy then you wouldn't lose 3-1 at home to Monaco" and put him firmly in place. They are both clams but Mourinho had a perfectly valid point.

I like the fella, but his football style leaves a lot to be desired.

That said, he keeps grass roots mentality alive in the top flight.

Everyone can't play tiki taka. You play to your players strengths. I laughed at Ronaldo when he criticized Iceland for being too defensive against Portugal in the Euros - what the hell did he expect? Parking the bass and kicking it long with a bunch of strong bully type of players is a totally legitimate strategy. It's a challenge. It's down to the "fancy" teams (us included) to figure out how to break them down.

As much as I hate Shawcross and his kin, Pulis has got my respect. Does a solid job.

Pulis, Dave Bassett, John Beck, Allardyce, Redknapp, Warnock. On the pitch they can be effective, and fair play to them.

Its why Poch, and AVB too actually, has brought in more big physical players who are skilful too, rather than persist with typical flimsy Spurs players - so we can compete in those sort of games.

It's their off pitch behaviour that I more have problems with. I don't know if it’s a coincidence or whether coaching negatively and a lack of personal integrity are correlated.

Don't like this thinking, it's the sort of thing Arsenal complain about. It's up to us to come up with a way to beat them, we can't expect teams just to roll over against us, or play attacking non contact football.

They play the best way that suits them to get results, hats off to them in my book.

Back