• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I don't believe the mail have an inside scoop on these numbers but for argument's sake lets say they are right. Pay it. Good deal in this market. Move on.

Yes agreed.
This fitness is a two way street. Spurs maybe waiting to see how his recovery goes before they put pen to paper.
5 years is quite long for a player with Toby's dubious fitness record. I would have thought more along the lines of, a wage rise with a two year extension and a further year option.
But this could be the problem he wants a longer contract?

You think?;)

Of cause he does. And when has reading anything on social media ment diddly?
Hi 'advisers' will be all over this telling what say and when. Glasgow you know that?
I like you am a big admirer of Toby what Spurs fan in their right mind isnt.

I will believe something coming from the players own media account way before any dumbass clickbait press reports.

Yes, I'm sure I remember something along those lines. Plus Poch said similar in a recent press conference, and that Levy had it all in hand.
Yet today, the Mail are reporting that he is asking for a 5 yr deal, £110k pw, and talks are close to breaking down as we are so far apart. Evening Standard are saying we might consider offers in the summer, and that due to lack of clarity from the club about when Toby would be back in contention to play there is now some work to be done to re rebuild the relationship with him.
Hopefully it's just a case of agent-talk as a negotiation tactic and/or the tabloids picking it up and making click-bait out of it. I still feel confident a new contract will be agreed.

I think levy would be all over that deal, so if that's what tobys asking for them I can't see what the problem would.
Unless of course it's all total made up BS.

I will believe something coming from the players own media account way before any dumbass clickbait press reports.

Why?
Communications are vetted by their clubs and management companies. That look after these top players. Its showbiz and thus BullS*/!.

And everything the press print is the gospel I suppose.

No Glasgow I apologize if wasn't clear

None of it is "gospel" or even close.

The players representatives drip feed the press with bit and pieces.
While they have the player playing the loyalty card to the fans from teletext or the like.

Its all smoke a mirrors.

Last edited:
Its all crap

Walker signed 5 years and left a year over, thats how much contracts are crap anyway. If Toby was to leave his representatives will 100% make it out to be the club not his own players ambitions, at least Walker had the balls to say he wanted to leave to win things knowing he had signed a 5 year contract.

My dad wouldn't have the mail in the house, said he had spent 6 years fighting fascism to buy a paper that thought Hitler was alright.

Its surprising how true that is.....but so did a few of the paper around 1940.

I like their layout for sport/football pages on the interweb. Most of the copy is dubious but its good for quick catch up over breakfast.

My dad wouldn't have the mail in the house, said he had spent 6 years fighting fascism to buy a paper that thought Hitler was alright.
My dad is fairly left leaning and he would buy the Mail / Sunday Mail - I guess that this would be due to wanting to pretend that he was better than the SUN.

Just had a quick scan of their sports pages and there's that fat, hairy, West Ham-loving gasbag Martin Samuel still droning about Alli and diving. They've run the odd decent Spurs articles and love running eye-candy photo spreads of Genie Boucharrr.... err, uh -- our new stadium. But they will take the piszs with us every chance they get.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, it's just that I think that the big clubs will not be impacted by the "correction" to the extent that it will level the playing field in any significant way vis-a-vis us. To them it will be a blip. And Chelsea is building a long-term strategy because Abramovich is not willing to plunk down his own money as much anymore and understands that the club's valuation will improve greatly if he makes it self-sustaining, so he can sell it at a higher profit whenever he wishes to get out.

I think you say it yourself. If these clubs want to run themselves sustainably, either to increase their own valuation or to comply with regulation, then they will have to correct. This will be especially true if they've over extended themselves in the belief that TV money will always rise. If it doesn't, they will have to row themselves back in to closer to where we are operating. We are getting closer to Chelsea right now - the fact that they didn't want to go all in for Llorente and we did I thought was pretty telling. City ummed and ahhed over Evans and Mahrez. Arsenal have always been this way. It's only really United, who operate on a higher level because of their higher commercial revenues - e.g. predictable to them and them alone. For the macro levers for the other clubs - TV money - I'm getting the sense that clubs are trying to curb themselves to not let it get totally out of control.

In fact, I think it can already be argued that it's helping. You see City pull out of the Sanchez deal - I'm sure their owners can plough more money in to pay his wages but they clearly didn't want to. The more that all of this happens it is good for us, we have a shot of getting closer because we are so close footballing wise and our revenues are going to improve by quite a significant extent. The idea that these clubs won't just keep pouring more and more money in but will at best stagnate and at worst pull back, means we are pulling closer. The more deals they steer clear of, the more it presents an opportunity for us.

What this means for Toby, I'm not sure. The fact that Dan Kilpatrick is reporting this makes me think there is something going on now, but the 'even though Poch had a 2 hour chat with Toby, he would have appreciated more clarity earlier on' line reeks of agent talk to me. It's just a classic, utterly ridiculous line for an agent to use, alongside all of the 'Rooney is shocked and saddened' stuff that comes out every time just before he ends up getting a new contract. And I would say that this means it's a negotiation, Toby's agent is just trying to get him the best deal.

There was never any talk of saving Walker. Once it was decided he was gone, he was gone. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Levy is bothering to negotiate this hard is because we feel Toby's level has dropped slightly this season. I thought it at the start - it was Jan looking like the leader of the pair rather than Toby this time around, and he suddenly looked ever so slightly more shaky. The fact that Sanchez has come in and performed so well in these recent games strengthens our hand, and perhaps it is wise to get Toby to prove himself here. And maybe Poch knows something about his condition - maybe he anticipate's Toby declining fairly quickly over the next couple of years and long term the best bet for us it to give Sanchez all the time to improve. And maybe he won't mind Toby declining at one of our rivals. But I think this is all just a bit of back and forth by Levy and the agent ultimately. Toby's agent seems good - I'm surprised Levy agreed to the release clause - so I'm sure we'll get there eventually if we are desperate to make it happen.

I think you say it yourself. If these clubs want to run themselves sustainably, either to increase their own valuation or to comply with regulation, then they will have to correct. This will be especially true if they've over extended themselves in the belief that TV money will always rise. If it doesn't, they will have to row themselves back in to closer to where we are operating. We are getting closer to Chelsea right now - the fact that they didn't want to go all in for Llorente and we did I thought was pretty telling. City ummed and ahhed over Evans and Mahrez. Arsenal have always been this way. It's only really United, who operate on a higher level because of their higher commercial revenues - e.g. predictable to them and them alone. For the macro levers for the other clubs - TV money - I'm getting the sense that clubs are trying to curb themselves to not let it get totally out of control.

In fact, I think it can already be argued that it's helping. You see City pull out of the Sanchez deal - I'm sure their owners can plough more money in to pay his wages but they clearly didn't want to. The more that all of this happens it is good for us, we have a shot of getting closer because we are so close footballing wise and our revenues are going to improve by quite a significant extent. The idea that these clubs won't just keep pouring more and more money in but will at best stagnate and at worst pull back, means we are pulling closer. The more deals they steer clear of, the more it presents an opportunity for us.

What this means for Toby, I'm not sure. The fact that Dan Kilpatrick is reporting this makes me think there is something going on now, but the 'even though Poch had a 2 hour chat with Toby, he would have appreciated more clarity earlier on' line reeks of agent talk to me. It's just a classic, utterly ridiculous line for an agent to use, alongside all of the 'Rooney is shocked and saddened' stuff that comes out every time just before he ends up getting a new contract. And I would say that this means it's a negotiation, Toby's agent is just trying to get him the best deal.

There was never any talk of saving Walker. Once it was decided he was gone, he was gone. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Levy is bothering to negotiate this hard is because we feel Toby's level has dropped slightly this season. I thought it at the start - it was Jan looking like the leader of the pair rather than Toby this time around, and he suddenly looked ever so slightly more shaky. The fact that Sanchez has come in and performed so well in these recent games strengthens our hand, and perhaps it is wise to get Toby to prove himself here. And maybe Poch knows something about his condition - maybe he anticipate's Toby declining fairly quickly over the next couple of years and long term the best bet for us it to give Sanchez all the time to improve. And maybe he won't mind Toby declining at one of our rivals. But I think this is all just a bit of back and forth by Levy and the agent ultimately. Toby's agent seems good - I'm surprised Levy agreed to the release clause - so I'm sure we'll get there eventually if we are desperate to make it happen.

Not convinced city were that interested in sanches or mahrez, unsettle and string them along and push the price up for whoever eventually buys them.
Mahrez isn't good enough for city and sanches is to huffy.

The "Toby declining" you touched on is behind all this delay since the bad hamstring.
So Levy will want him 110% fit befor he moves forward with a new contract and I doubt it will be 5 years.

Last edited:
Not convinced city were that interested in sanches or mahrez, unsettle and string them along and push the price up for whoever eventually buys them.
Mahrez isn't good enough for city and sanches is to huffy.

Really don't think that was it - I don't think it's in their game to unsettle Mahrez on the last day just because someone may pay more for him in the summer. I think they wanted him and just went for him too late. With Sanchez, they'd been linked for months but weren't interested in matching silly United wages, particularly mid-season when they didn't need him to win the league. I mean all they did with Sanchez was ultimately strengthen their closest rival.

Back