• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Give the man what he wants. He is worth every penny

People are speculating about Walker's future and whilst none of us want to lose him, he's not the most irreplaceable player in the squad. Toby on the other hand is IMO. We can't afford to lose him.

But the point is, giving him what he wants makes the chances of us losing him greater via the release clause that HE wants in a new contract. A release clause (even set at say £60M) that can be activated at anytime.

Really hope this fella signs a contract with us. He's such a massive player for us both in his performances and what he brings out in others.

However, from my limited knowledge of him pre-Spurs, he wasn't wanted by Athletico, Southampton were the club competing for his signature when we signed him and he's not always been first choice centre back for Belgium. Poch and Tottenham have done a lot for him.

But the point is, giving him what he wants makes the chances of us losing him greater via the release clause that HE wants in a new contract. A release clause (even set at say £60M) that can be activated at anytime.
To be fair a clause triggered at a record level for a CB is fair to both player and club. It's a job, not slavery. The other option is to run down the contract and join any club the player wants. We know how once this ended up for us.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

To be fair a clause triggered at a record level for a CB is fair to both player and club. It's a job, not slavery. The other option is to run down the contract and join any club the player wants. We know how once this ended up for us.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
We have some security in the existing deal though.

Maybe it's the level of the release clause in the new contract that the stumbling block. As if it was set at £60M I wouldn't be surprised if the phone started ringing on Monday morning.

And where would that leave us.?

We're In a great position here though

If he won't sign our term we have him for 2 more years in which his value which still be good

We the activate his automatic extension and someone can offer £25m

By then we could be the top side in the country or not. Who knows but he would go for a profit then after 4 years service or stay

It's his call to determine what he wants

We can offer him improved terms with some crazy buy out or he bides his time. We can also put a buy out in for 2 years time as he has now but for £60m

We're In a great position here though

If he won't sign our term we have him for 2 more years in which his value which still be good

We the activate his automatic extension and someone can offer £25m

By then we could be the top side in the country or not. Who knows but he would go for a profit then after 4 years service or stay

It's his call to determine what he wants

We can offer him improved terms with some crazy buy out or he bides his time. We can also put a buy out in for 2 years time as he has now but for £60m

25m for a player in the last year of his contract (which he will be if we activate the 2019 clause) is a good deal - more so because Toby will be 30 by the time we do it (iirc). It will still hurt losing one of the finest defenders I've seen at Spurs for nigh-on two decades (besides Ledley, anyway), but we won't lose out that much with the deal as it stands. But it doesn't set a good precedent - his performances deserve a reward, it's just a shame we can't agree one with him.

However, under no circumstances should we agree to a release clause - *no* release clauses at this club, however high. Those are f*cking killers for clubs our size, and will leave us open to being ritually dismembered every summer by every Sheikh and Russian gangster this side of the Channel. And once one player gets one, the precedent means that every other damn agent will come flooding in asking for one for his client as well.

I know you mentioned setting the clause at something like 60m, but the thing is, our rivals can pay that. With ease. And while they might not do so for Toby due to his age, similarly large release clauses for Alli and Kane (for example) will be activated the minute they're agreed upon, because United, City and Chelsea wouldn't blink twice before throwing that cash at us and making away with our players. Us losing our stars helps them a lot more than 60m sitting around doing nothing does.

So yeah, no need for them, and under no circumstances should they be considered. Maybe they work in less cash-rich leagues like La Liga or Serie A - but it would be a massacre for that practice to be introduced here in any significant capacity.

Last edited:
25m for a player in the last year of his contract (which he will be if we activate the 2019 clause) is a good deal - more so because Toby will be 30 by the time we do it (iirc). It will still hurt losing one of the finest defenders I've seen at Spurs for nigh-on two decades (besides Ledley, anyway), but we won't lose out that much with the deal as it stands. But it doesn't set a good precedent - his performances deserve a reward, it's just a shame we can't agree one with him.

However, under no circumstances should we agree to a release clause - *no* release clauses at this club, however high. Those are f*cking killers for clubs our size, and will leave us open to being ritually dismembered every summer by every Sheikh and Russian gangster this side of the Channel. And once one player gets one, the precedent means that every other damn agent will come flooding in asking for one for his client as well.

I know you mentioned setting the clause at something like 60m, but the thing is, our rivals can pay that. With ease. And while they might not do so for Toby due to his age, similarly large release clauses for Alli and Kane (for example) will be activated the minute they're agreed upon, because United, City and Chelsea wouldn't blink twice before throwing that cash at us and making away with our players. Us losing our stars helps them a lot more than 60m sitting around doing nothing does.

So yeah, no need for them, and under no circumstances should they be considered. Maybe they work in less cash-rich leagues like La Liga or Serie A - but it would be a massacre for that practice to be introduced here in any significant capacity.

I was saying £60m at the end of the new contract... not now!!!

Release clauses to me mean that players are only there for the short term so I wouldn't agree to them. But in the case of Toby, if it gets him over the line contract wise and someone is willing to pay that much in 4 years then so be it

With Walker looking like he'll break the transfer seal, and no trophy this season, it would be a good time to announce a new contract for TA.

Last edited:
Lovren has just negotiated a 100k a week contract at Liverpool.........Toby must look at that and think he is worth at least that at Spurs. He is superior in every way possible in comparison to Lovren.

Lovren has just negotiated a 100k a week contract at Liverpool.........Toby must look at that and think he is worth at least that at Spurs. He is superior in every way possible in comparison to Lovren.
Therein lies our conundrum.
Most of our players have reached their targets, which means they will expect to be on a par with other players in the League, especially those who are > 25 years old, as this is an opportunity to cash in and it may not come again.
So can we afford to give the majority of first choicers a pay rise?
If we don't then this "young squad" could be dismantled.

If Toby agreed to sign for Utd or City or Chelsea he could easily demand £200K a week and get it,

If I were Harry and I continued to score goals at this rate I would not consider signing a new contract for less than £150K, and even that would be below market rate for a player of his ability.

I often read or hear Spurs fans say we should sign a world class player, well good luck with that with the wages we pay. At best we could sign a player with potential or a player slightly past his best.

Last edited:
If Toby agreed to sign for Utd or City or Chelsea he could easily demand £200K a week and get it,

If I were Harry and I continued to score goals at this rate I would not consider signing a new contract for less than £150K, and even that would be below market rate for a player of his ability.

I often read or hear Spurs fans say we should sign a world class player, well good luck with that with the wages we pay. At best we could sign a player with potential or a player slightly past his best.

thats why to sacrifice Walker right now for a massive fee and to simply use that money to upgrade the contracts for the likes of Dele, Kane, Alderweireld and Eriksen will help to fend off any suitors for those players for a few more years. If in a couple of years we havent progressed on the field as is expected then of course those players will look to move to win things. But until then i think we can look after them financially with some clever/strategic selling and buying.

I was saying £60m at the end of the new contract... not now!!!

Release clauses to me mean that players are only there for the short term so I wouldn't agree to them. But in the case of Toby, if it gets him over the line contract wise and someone is willing to pay that much in 4 years then so be it

Oh, I see. Well, that would be great - only, I don't see Toby agreeing to it, is all. 25m is still within the bounds of possibility for a 30-year old centre-back, especially one who makes everyone around him better like Toby does - 60m, on the other hand, just isn't. It would be great if he agrees to it anyway, because it means we've basically got him for as long as he doesn't kick up a stink. :p

That is not rocket science, so I can only assume that Levy having and idea to slove it, unless he is planning for a midtable mediocrity, which I doubt.

thats why to sacrifice Walker right now for a massive fee and to simply use that money to upgrade the contracts for the likes of Dele, Kane, Alderweireld and Eriksen will help to fend off any suitors for those players for a few more years. If in a couple of years we havent progressed on the field as is expected then of course those players will look to move to win things. But until then i think we can look after them financially with some clever/strategic selling and buying.

Or alternatively, how about we consider the fact that we are 1 point away from finishing second, our highest finish since 1961, rake in all that dosh that goes with the second place, plus the dosh from umpteen television appearances in league and cup and use that money to upgrade contracts.

Also bear in mind that Levy recently reiterated that the stadium build would not impact on us keeping or selling players

Or alternatively, how about we consider the fact that we are 1 point away from finishing second, our highest finish since 1961, rake in all that dosh that goes with the second place, plus the dosh from umpteen television appearances in league and cup and use that money to upgrade contracts.

Also bear in mind that Levy recently reiterated that the stadium build would not impact on us keeping or selling players

Levy has to say that, if he says the stadium will have an impact on spending it sends out a message to our competitors that we may need to sell our biggest assets or sell before we buy.

As I keep on saying.... we do not need to use a Kyle Walker sized transfer fee to significantly improve the contracts of our existing players. The £50+ million jump in revenue next season will enable £25 million to be added to the wage bill. It is also dangerous to use transfer fees to subsidise wages as this can quickly become unsustainable (and remember that a players transfer fee tends to reduce if they are already very highly paid as clubs look at the cost of players as a combined amount of transfer fee and wages over the length of a contract)

If Poch decides to sell Walker it will be because he feels he can use the transfer funds to make us stronger overall.

Last edited:
Back