• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

yes, exactly the same.

They both have absolutely no correlation to an ability to playing in the Premier League.

In fact you could agree that Vertonghen and Alderweireld will have gotten used to playing a certain way in the non competitive environment of the Dutch League and will really struggle to find a new way of playing together actually having to defend.

Jesus Modric. You seem so angry all the time! You're going to give yourself an ulcer. :)

Just don't think we should be overjoyed every time the club spunks away over 11m on a player we probably don't need.
Its like coming home to find the wife has bought another pair of shoes exactly like all the others.

The last time we spent over £11m on a successful transfer was over 7 years ago now.

They both have absolutely no correlation to an ability to playing in the Premier League.

In fact you could agree that Vertonghen and Alderweireld will have gotten used to playing a certain way in the non competitive environment of the Dutch League and will really struggle to find a new way of playing together actually having to defend.

neither does who plays in front of him for the national team....

Just don't think we should be overjoyed every time the club spunks away over 11m on a player we probably don't need.
Its like coming home to find the wife has bought another pair of shoes exactly like all the others.

The last time we spent over £11m on a successful transfer was over 7 years ago now.

Lloris and Eriksen's cost are so close to that its fairly irrelevant.

Contrary to popular belief, Spurs transfer strategy is actually pretty good, outside of one window where unfortunately 3 players in particular (Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho) that we paid a lot for didn't work out, that isn't the norm, and we still are in the black with transfers over that same 7 years.

We had the 5th worst defense in the league last year, injury problems and poor cover options, the club has decided to address that early, with a young player and a player who has PL experience as well as experience with our current #1 CB ... how is that a bad decision?

The Belgium team comes to Spurs but all jokes aside. I love that we are turning into an Ajax FC reunion club!! Who next - Suarez?

I think this was probably Spurs being opportune - he's a very good player and no one but Southampton were in for him. So we snapped him up. An example of us being well run, agile etc, or not having set transfer targets? My feeling is it is the former. We are not a CL team, we have to find value in the transfer market with singings like this.

As for the player he's obviously a very good footballer. We desperately needed a better defense and this guy is the right age to form a strong back 4 unit. Probably: Walker, Verts, Alderweireld, Rose. Fazio might have something to say about that line up and stake a claim. One of Dier and Wimmer out on loan.

Really happy with this signing. Defensive players sorted.

Any chance for three at the back? Seems like we have the players for it. Might make us a little more solid at the back, whilst giving Rose and Walker even more license to get forward.

--------Lloris--------
------TA--Verts--Dier---
KW-------------------Rose
----Nabil--Mason----
-------Eriksen-------
--Lamela---Kane----

Any chance for three at the back? Seems like we have the players for it. Might make us a little more solid at the back, whilst giving Rose and Walker even more license to get forward.

--------Lloris--------
------TA--Verts--Dier---
----Nabil--Mason----
-------Eriksen-------
--Lamela---Kane----

And all 3 CBs are decent on the ball, able to carry the ball forward. You never know...

--------Lloris--------
------TA--Verts--Dier---
----Nabil--Mason----
-------Eriksen-------
--Lamela---Kane----

I can't see it. That team has less goals in it than the one's Poch put out last season and he is an attacking coach by instinct. The problem with 3-5-2 in the modern game is that you are left with too many players in positions where you don't need them.

im sure in theory you'd get something similar when attacking - full backs pushed up and one of the central defenders moving in to the space in front of their line, with 4231 the fullbacks will be pushed forward with one of the CM duo covering space between CM and CBs, no?

--------Lloris--------
------TA--Verts--Dier---
----Nabil--Mason----
-------Eriksen-------
--Lamela---Kane----
If that was ever played surely Dier would be the central command Cb and Verts on the left...

the 3-5-2 may work if TA was brought in to play a defensive mid style, ie. able to step into midfield where needed, but if the fullbacks really push on able to drop back into a back 3 to cover. Obviously verts is also capable of stepping up as well. Would just mean it wouldn't be 3-5-2 in it's traditional sense and would be an adaptable formation depending on where the ball is. We were stretched previously when our FB's pushed on, as Mason/Nabil didn't follow runners or cover the space well enough between def and midfield.

Not saying this is what will happen, as we don't know who is leaving etc..but with the focus on crossing FB's like trip, the abundance of CB's with the ability to play a pass, its looking more that way for now.

Welcome Toby Alderweireld. On the one hand I'm happy that we have signed a player who is not an unknown quantity and will improve us immediately. Had we not signed Fazio this signing would have been ideal. On the other hand I'm sad because I think this signing will severely hamper the development of our younger CB's. Wimmer and Dier will find it hard to progress unless JV or TA get injured and further down the line we will see Veljkovic probably get a loan this year. I think we will see one of Dier or Fazio push for a move next summer, maybe even both unless someone displaces JV who in turn may want to leave. It's a nice dilemma to have however because I think we look a lot stronger with him in our ranks. I do get the feeling that this move could've been done above Poch's ahead.

352 would certainly get the best out of Yedlin too. I also like the idea of playing a three man midfield and I cannot see another way to keep so many defenders happy. We would probably need to recruit a truly great CM to sit in there with Eriksen and to allow Bentaleb to play as a tidy distributor of the ball whilst screening the back 3. Another plus would be that we would also have an easier time bringing in the likes of Carroll, Onomah and Alli, the downside being that I don't think Lamela can contribute enough alongside Kane.

On a personal level I'm not a fan of the system and from all we hear, Poch seems very happy with the 4231. Still the fact that we have the option available to us is a positive.

--------Lloris--------
------TA--Verts--Dier---
----Nabil--Mason----
-------Eriksen-------
--Lamela---Kane----

Alas, your formation adds the non goal scoring Lamela and takes away the goal scoring Chadli

What do you mean we managed to go with Verts? The only people who use that are those to lazy to learn how to spell Vertonghen. Or pricks on twitter worrying about their 140 characters. The vast majority on here think its as cringey and childish as Arsenal idiots using 'the Ox', 'rambo' or 'bfg'.

as long as we avoid that cringeworthy first name thing

personally I'm just gonna go with the Dutchman

I hope now that we have signed him we do not find out that he only looked good because he was playing behind Schneiderlin. Remember how everybody thought Dejan Lovren was a quality defender playing behind Schneiderlin and then he signed for Liverpool :D

Back