• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Ive been very used to the idea of Alderweireld going, and quite comfortable with it.

He hasnt been playing especially well, and seemingly was actively looking to go - so, fine I guess?

Since Mourinho has been in though he has looked much more engaged and his performances have been steadily improving.

So at this point Im quite happy with him signing on, it gives us security in our options at the back and means we have less work to do on that area of the squad the next couple of windows.

Ill be absolutely delighted to see Vertonghen follow suit.

Some will say this indicates the problem was Poch. Others that it was Levy and Mourinho is leveraging his position to get more out of the tightwad.

We'll never know, most likely, and its just not important.

The squad is stronger with a rejuvenated Alderweireld in it.

Super news. Now just need Super Jan signed up.

Think Eriksen fancies a fresh vista, and he'll have the summer tournament to advertise himself.

Poch has wanted to sell him for a couple of seasons. He was also unsuited to Poch's high line and attacking fullbacks. He looked very exposed early in the season but there has been a huge improvement since Mourinho has come in, largely because the defence plays deeper and the fullbacks tuck in.

Makes you question the tactics at times, having defenders not suited to a high line and Sanchez who is not good on the ball when we used to play our from the back. Not to mention Lloris being crap with his feet. Mourinho is keeping things simple which has helped.

Makes you question the tactics at times, having defenders not suited to a high line and Sanchez who is not good on the ball when we used to play our from the back. Not to mention Lloris being crap with his feet. Mourinho is keeping things simple which has helped.

To be fair, the diamond was an attempt to cover weaknesses in the squad. Mourinho similarly is having to make adjustments to cover for players who aren't suited to his game.

Hell nah. I will wait to see how this plays out but I don't rate this guy anymore. He is weak with balls played in the air. Perhaps Jose can coach him in that. That means Jose is happy with our future options unless Vertonghen is out. PS anyone mention why Jan had black eyes earlier this season.

Hell nah. I will wait to see how this plays out but I don't rate this guy anymore. He is weak with balls played in the air. Perhaps Jose can coach him in that. That means Jose is happy with our future options unless Vertonghen is out. PS anyone mention why Jan had black eyes earlier this season.

Accident in training.

Basically you're saying no players were suited to any of the tactics. :)

Possibly harsh as Toby has had some really good games as well as some mediocre ones this season
Do agree though he struggle with aerial balls

I'm sure someone would have taken him on a free in the summer. Makes you wonder if Poch was part of the problem with Toby?

Zero real cost to us (outside change in wages) and we might actually profit if we get rid of him before end of contract. Complete no brainer decision

Given his ability to help Sanchez & Foyth develop, this actually a really good decision for the club.

I wonder if him having a second baby child on the way also made it a bit easier for him to decide on staying for some stability from a family perspective.

Poch has wanted to sell him for a couple of seasons. He was also unsuited to Poch's high line and attacking fullbacks. He looked very exposed early in the season but there has been a huge improvement since Mourinho has come in, largely because the defence plays deeper and the fullbacks tuck in.
Perfectly alright when the attacking full backs were Walker and Rose. It's the DM protection that has disappeared...high line not a problem.

I don't necessarily think the defence plays deeper, just that Jan and Toby are actually a very good source of initiating attacks, often bypassing midfield. (Or at least the DM's), so the progress up the field is loads quicker. Of course turnover of the ball can be quicker with that approach, so their starting point to defend that turnover will naturally be deeper.

I see one FB tucking in for sure...but the wonky has pushed one pretty much into a wing back role.

To be fair, the diamond was an attempt to cover weaknesses in the squad. Mourinho similarly is having to make adjustments to cover for players who aren't suited to his game.
The difference is though that Mourinho has inherited this squad as opposed to building it as Poch did. Poch has much less excuse for poor tactically choices (although he does have quite a few mitigating circumstances).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Poch has wanted to sell him for a couple of seasons. He was also unsuited to Poch's high line and attacking fullbacks.
I wouldn't say that is entirely true. He did fine when he was first brought in and had Dembele/Wanyama and Dier in front of him and Walker as the attacking Right Full back. He has struggled since we have not replaced those positions with players of the same calibre.

I am a bit meh about this, especially the length of contract given his age. Would have like to see us bring in a younger CB to work alongside Verts and rotate with Sanchez. I don't think he is as critical to us as he once was. For me Vertonghen is far more important.

Ye
Possibly harsh as Toby has had some really good games as well as some mediocre ones this season
Do agree though he struggle with aerial balls
Yeah I think we have only one player who I fancy to win the ball in the air and that's Sanchez, but playing regularly with Toby should help him with his positioning and be more controlled with his aggression.

I wouldn't say that is entirely true. He did fine when he was first bought in and had Dembele/Wanyama and Dier in front of him and Walker as the attacking Right Full back. He has struggled since we have not replaced those positions with players of the same calibre.

I am a bit meh about this, especially the length of contract given his age. Would have like to see us bring in a younger CB to work alongside Verts and rotate with Sanchez. I don't think he is as critical to us as he once was. For me Vertonghen is far more important.

Toby is 30, Jan is 32

Both have a couple of years left if we don't play them every game (we need to rotate in Sanchez and Foyth more), by the way I wouldn't be surprised to see Jan follow suit re contract

Back