• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

We look more balanced in our approach and I think it suits our current players a lot better.

I think the quality of those long balls often get understated. He often has to play them fairly straight which is difficult enough that most players probably shouldn't even bother trying them. Yet he repeatedly puts them on a plate for our runners. Fantastic quality.

two big differences
He stopped playing them under Poch
There was no one making those runs under Poch

two big differences
Helps that Dele has rediscovered his brilliant best form having been restored to his most effective position, Son is also on fire and these last three games we've played teams weak and open at the back.

true
but as a team pre Mou no one wanted to run beyond their man and no one wanted to try those passes

Change of manager, change of confidence and tactics

I agree, but i posted earlier this season that we did have players making runs but we fudged about with side wards passing at the back that much the ball never got delivered to them, after a while they stopped making those runs as it was pointless.

I agree, but i posted earlier this season that we did have players making runs but we fudged about with side wards passing at the back that much the ball never got delivered to them, after a while they stopped making those runs as it was pointless.

its always relative
If people stop running people stop passing and vice versa

true
but as a team pre Mou no one wanted to run beyond their man and no one wanted to try those passes

Change of manager, change of confidence and tactics
Toby has been doing one or two of those passes per game all along (it's something I watch out for). But in recent seasons it's usually been after a long and deliberate build up from the back and then mostly to the flanks rather than down the middle.

Mou has clearly been eager to exploit the combination of Toby's long balls and Dele's brilliance at running on to them so he has encouraged the former to play them earlier- before the defence can re-organise - and go down the middle for the latter to make runs onto them.

It's worked superbly so far but now let's see how well it goes against stronger, better organised teams and those that park the bus.

It's worked superbly so far but now let's see how well it goes against stronger, better organised teams and those that park the bus.
Yeah, it is definitely worth a punt, takes 3 seconds to give it a try and it sometimes works. If it dunt, no worries. Better than 2 minutes of sideways passing from RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB to RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB to RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB to RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB

Yeah, it is definitely worth a punt, takes 3 seconds to give it a try and it sometimes works. If it dunt, no worries. Better than 2 minutes of sideways passing from RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB to RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB to RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB to RB to CB to CB to LB to CB to CB
You forgot the last bit. ...to GK and punt into touch.

two big differences

Not sure that's true. Against Palace Toby did exactly the same thing to set up our first goal. I think he hit a couple more as well that game that weren't converted. On that note, Alli's form was improving. He has been playing well this season. Playing closer to Kane and having freedom - that we can attribute to Mourinho. Similar with Aurier - he was improving under Poch, what Mourinho did was free him positionally.

The long ball to Dele from Toby is nothing new. Dele's strength has always been making those type of runs ahead of Kane. It is great to have this tactic in the locker but it will get found out eventually and teams will defend against it.

Nothing wrong with the principle of building from the back, we are not the only team who do it and let's face it we have some very talented forwards. The problem is, the likes of Sissoko, Sanchez and Dier lose the ball too easily which breaks down any attacking momentum and puts us under pressure.

Once Ndombele, Lo Celso and a new defensive midfielder hit their stride I am sure we will revert to playing from the back.

Not sure that's true. Against Palace Toby did exactly the same thing to set up our first goal. I think he hit a couple more as well that game that weren't converted. On that note, Alli's form was improving. He has been playing well this season. Playing closer to Kane and having freedom - that we can attribute to Mourinho. Similar with Aurier - he was improving under Poch, what Mourinho did was free him positionally.
I agree both Dele and Aurier were improving under Poch. However, their form has accelerated under Mourinho, perhaps trying to impress the new boss to a certain extent.

THIS!!!!!!!
Been saying this too.

I agree both Dele and Aurier were improving under Poch. However, their form has accelerated under Mourinho, perhaps trying to impress the new boss to a certain extent.

Is Mourinho's strength his tactical insight? The difference with Alli and Aurier now is just positional. Simply telling Alli to get closer to Kane, and having freedom to attack. Similar with Aurier, giving him freedom to get forward and attack. Poch's strength was man-management. Understanding individuals and managing them. At the moment we're getting the benefits of both - players like Sissoko or Aurier (even Kane and Alli) who were brought on by Poch. But are now using the new structure to excel.

We missed having clear defined roles. It has been a help with Aurier and Alli imo. As for Toby, the guy is quality. But chances are he will leave in the summer.

Is Mourinho's strength his tactical insight? The difference with Alli and Aurier now is just positional. Simply telling Alli to get closer to Kane, and having freedom to attack. Similar with Aurier, giving him freedom to get forward and attack. Poch's strength was man-management. Understanding individuals and managing them. At the moment we're getting the benefits of both - players like Sissoko or Aurier (even Kane and Alli) who were bought on by Poch. But are now using the new structure to excel.

We missed having clear defined roles. It has been a help with Aurier and Alli imo. As for Toby, the guy is quality. But chances are he will leave in the summer.

Was listening to a comment that said "Jose has done a lot by not doing very much" my view

- Players in their right/favored positioned, e.g. Dele, Lucas
- Not having both FBs overcommit at same time (LB sits back, RB goes forward)
- Focus on transition to front line as quickly as possible
- Front line given more freedom (Son, Dele, Lucas, Kane seem to have license to roam)

I doubt Toby will leave in summer (I'd be surprised if he doesn't get his contract extension soon), no one out there is fighting for him, and Jose likes him and he seems much happier with the change.

Looks like it's happening... club posted a video of him going mad at the winner vs. wolves and have just teased a contract renewal with what looks to be Toby's boots...

We shall see.

And yes, confirmed, new deal.

Back