• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Alaisdair Gold claiming in his recent youtube video that the word from inside the club is that there's movement on a new contract for both Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Alderweireld the furthest along so far.

Securing the pair of them to new contracts with Mourinho's record with older centre backs could be huge for us.

Alaisdair Gold claiming in his recent youtube video that the word from inside the club is that there's movement on a new contract for both Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Alderweireld the furthest along so far.

Securing the pair of them to new contracts with Mourinho's record with older centre backs could be huge for us.

It sure is, because I think Sanchez/Foyth are still a long way from being a stable and reliant CB duo. If we can squeeze a few more seasons of quality service from Jan and Toby, we'll be in a much better position for that defensive trasition. If Jan and/or Toby leave next summer, I think we'd have to be in the market for an experienced CB.

That would be excellent
It wouldn't surprise me if Eriksen stayed too

Still less bothered about Alderweireld than Vertonghen, but well understand Mourinhos ageing CB whispering skills and so am not against it.

More impressed you actually sat through an Alaisdair Gold YouTube video to be honest, I cant bring myself to even hit play on them

Alderweireld really needs to improve to deserve an extension, as it stands Im quite "meh" on the idea of him staying.

Of the two I much prefer the idea of keeping Vertonghen, I think he still has more in the tank

The question for both Toby and Jan would be expectation of playing time

- If they are both ok with the fact that they will be rotated/managed and the goal over the next two years is to establish a long term CB pairing, then both can get a new contract

We will not get a better rotation, backup, experience options at any price.

Not sure how i feel about players who have been phoning it in the last year or so being rewarded with new deals

There's a few odd things going on at the moment.
The video posted of the team celebrating in the changing room, what exactly is there to celebrate, so far we've beaten to two teams we really should be beating, that should be the norm, not a cause for celebrations.

There's a few odd things going on at the moment.
The video posted of the team celebrating in the changing room, what exactly is there to celebrate, so far we've beaten to two teams we really should be beating, that should be the norm, not a cause for celebrations.
Wooooshhhh!

Not sure how i feel about players who have been phoning it in the last year or so being rewarded with new deals

Most of the current squad have been underperforming to a lesser or greater degree for some considerable period.
We need to wipe the slate clean.

Still less bothered about Alderweireld than Vertonghen, but well understand Mourinhos ageing CB whispering skills and so am not against it.

More impressed you actually sat through an Alaisdair Gold YouTube video to be honest, I cant bring myself to even hit play on them
Hehe. I quite like his take on some things, decent listening whilst getting some real life stuff done.
I don't think the last year has provided easy conditions to perform in for many of our players.

Being rewarded for past performances is for me a very small part of what a new contract should be about. A new contract is by far mostly about what the player can do for us in the future. If Mourinho thinks he can get performances out of Alderweireld, if Alderweireld himself is motivated it would take a lot more than the drop in quality we've seen in the last year or whatever to be unhappy about a new contract.

Being rewarded for past performances is for me a very small part of what a new contract should be about. A new contract is by far mostly about what the player can do for us in the future. If Mourinho thinks he can get performances out of Alderweireld, if Alderweireld himself is motivated it would take a lot more than the drop in quality we've seen in the last year or whatever to be unhappy about a new contract.

I can live with it if it means that we only have to replace one CB this summer rather than two. We have a pretty big rebuild ahead of us and spreading it over a few more years is preferable.

I can live with it if it means that we only have to replace one CB this summer rather than two. We have a pretty big rebuild ahead of us and spreading it over a few more years is preferable.
If Sanchez, Foyth, Dier or others have it in them to step up over say 18 months to the required level it could actually save us doing part of that rebuild in the transfer market.

Toby has that defence splitting long ball in his locker, and it is clear that Jose is keen to exploit it. We are breaking with pace and now we seem to have stopped this whole “play it from the back” rubbish to a more “get it up top as quickly as possible”. I think that is key, and play Jan at LB is good too - I think he brings a new dimension to our game there. Remember Dortmund at Wembley?

Toby has that defence splitting long ball in his locker, and it is clear that Jose is keen to exploit it. We are breaking with pace and now we seem to have stopped this whole “play it from the back” rubbish to a more “get it up top as quickly as possible”. I think that is key, and play Jan at LB is good too - I think he brings a new dimension to our game there. Remember Dortmund at Wembley?
We look more balanced in our approach and I think it suits our current players a lot better.

I think the quality of those long balls often get understated. He often has to play them fairly straight which is difficult enough that most players probably shouldn't even bother trying them. Yet he repeatedly puts them on a plate for our runners. Fantastic quality.

Back