• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

And at striker for the umpteenth season in a row. Madness that we don’t learn.

I’m with you on that. Granted it’s a tough ask (find someone who is good enough but also happy to be second choice), though the other option is to replace Lamela with another Son-like player ie can play behind a CF or as a CF

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Toby then or now? I think that he's on the slide and now might be the time to sell.

Tanganga has had a good pre-season. So, even if we didn't buy, it would give us Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier, Tanganga and Davies for two/three slots.

Scares the life out of me that does.

At our most solid, we had:

RB: Walker CB:Jan CB:Toby LB:Rose

People are now proposing:

RB:Aurier/Foyth CB:Jan CB:Tanganga/Sanchez LB: Davies

We weren't nearly as solid last season which is why we lost so many games. The midfield was part of the reason for that but weakening our defence by selling Toby would be madness. He's still an excellent player.

I’m with you on that. Granted it’s a tough ask (find someone who is good enough but also happy to be second choice), though the other option is to replace Lamela with another Son-like player ie can play behind a CF or as a CF

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We don’t have to sign Messi. I’m sure there’s plenty of good strikers out there who would snap up 100k a week to watch Kane most weeks and challenge for his place.

We weren't nearly as solid last season which is why we lost so many games. The midfield was part of the reason for that but weakening our defence by selling Toby would be madness. He's still an excellent player.

That's not the defence I am proposing BTW.

Toby was a fixture of that weakened defence last season. Dier, Vertonghen and Sanchez have all been good enough to be part of a top four defence, I see no reason why they couldn't do it again.

The issue with midfield last season was that we struggled to retain possession and didn't have an easy outlet from defence. Winks and Ndombele will help with that.

Moura and Son are more than good enough. We'd struggle to find a better striker who was happy to sit on the bench.

Son and Moura aren’t natural strikers. They are easily found out by teams in the PL when they pretend to be so.

I’m with you. Toby although perhaps not quite as stellar as he was is still one of the best CB’s in the league and still better than any of our other CB’s with the exception arguably of Vertonghen. Toby and Verts is still hands down the best CB pairing we have.

Son and Moura aren’t natural strikers. They are easily found out by teams in the PL when they pretend to be so.

Really.... can you giv us some examples?

From what I’ve seen defenders hate playing against either of these as the6 drop off and have genuine pace and an ability to shoot on site with either foot

And Moura is better in the air than most strikers too

I agree with Milo tbh. We actually do ok short term when Kane is injured. But I do agree we need another Son type player that is quick and can play in his position and offers a goal threat.

Really.... can you giv us some examples?

From what I’ve seen defenders hate playing against either of these as the6 drop off and have genuine pace and an ability to shoot on site with either foot

And Moura is better in the air than most strikers too

Our PL form in the second half of last season tells you all you need to know about playing small wingers up front

No it doesn’t
It tells you more about changes to the whole team caused by injuries and form
Changing stadium
Other games to focus on
Many many things

But it mostly tells you about the injuries we occurred to HK and the subsequent impact it had upon us.

Don’t get me wrong - Parrot shows plenty of promise. But so did Lee Barnard and Terry Dixon. One of them is in England’s sixth tier and the other is in England’s 9th tier respectively.

Not to mention our own Harry Kane couldn’t hit a barn door during his junior days on loan in the football league. It is not to say Parott can’t do a job, but merely a matter of common sense that we enter this season with at least 2 proper strikers.

The fact we could still lose Toby and fail to replace him, have one full back on each side and fail to have a second choice striker is deeply worrying. I wouldn’t necessarily make an extra striker the top priority- but failure to have cover for this and other positions would be unacceptable.

Our PL form in the second half of last season tells you all you need to know about playing small wingers up front

Not so sure about that. If memory serves, Kane was injured around mid/early April and was out for 6 weeks or so. Our form was dodgy well before that. In fact since/including that injury we managed to beat Emirates Marketing Project once, score 3 against them another time, score 3 against Ajax, 4 against Huddersfield (yeah I know), 2 against a resurgent Everton. But there were some shockers too. But plenty of evidence to indicate enough cover.

I think our form was simply down to injuries and a lack of legs at the end. We’ll never be able to find a Kane level replacement but I agree we should do something. My preference would be another wide forward that can also fill in upfront and we’ll be sorted.

I agree with Milo tbh. We actually do ok short term when Kane is injured. But I do agree we need another Son type player that is quick and can play in his position and offers a goal threat.

I think that the constant links to other CMs suggests that Poch Is considering moving to 4-3-3. That would reduce the need for another inside forward.

But it mostly tells you about the injuries we occurred to HK and the subsequent impact it had upon us.

Don’t get me wrong - Parrot shows plenty of promise. But so did Lee Barnard and Terry Dixon. One of them is in England’s sixth tier and the other is in England’s 9th tier respectively.

Not to mention our own Harry Kane couldn’t hit a barn door during his junior days on loan in the football league. It is not to say Parott can’t do a job, but merely a matter of common sense that we enter this season with at least 2 proper strikers.

The fact we could still lose Toby and fail to replace him, have one full back on each side and fail to have a second choice striker is deeply worrying. I wouldn’t necessarily make an extra striker the top priority- but failure to have cover for this and other positions would be unacceptable.
wasn’t there stats going round that our win % without Kane was better than with him and (idiot) pundits saying they wouldn’t put Kane straight back in the team because of it? Think that suggests that when Kane is out we actually haven’t struggled, the contrary in fact.

If Kane’s fit he plays, quite obviously and correctly, but a front line of Son and Moura is statistically better I believe?

wasn’t there stats going round that our win % without Kane was better than with him and (idiot) pundits saying they wouldn’t put Kane straight back in the team because of it? Think that suggests that when Kane is out we actually haven’t struggled, the contrary in fact.

If Kane’s fit he plays, quite obviously and correctly, but a front line of Son and Moura is statistically better I believe?
Yes it was better but I’d guess it’s dropped now

That's not the defence I am proposing BTW.

Toby was a fixture of that weakened defence last season. Dier, Vertonghen and Sanchez have all been good enough to be part of a top four defence, I see no reason why they couldn't do it again.

The issue with midfield last season was that we struggled to retain possession and didn't have an easy outlet from defence. Winks and Ndombele will help with that.

Sorry to nitpick but Dier was part of a top 4 defence in a back 5 when he also had Toby and Vergs alongside him. Dier is a big step down in quality from Toby and Verts. Sanchez was excellent in his first season but he didn’t kick on last season for me.

Our defence remains the big question mark as to whether we can mount a sustained title challenge in my opinion. We will always score goals but we were far too open and need a proper first choice RB.

Sorry to nitpick but Dier was part of a top 4 defence in a back 5 when he also had Toby and Vergs alongside him. Dier is a big step down in quality from Toby and Verts. Sanchez was excellent in his first season but he didn’t kick on last season for me.

Our defence remains the big question mark as to whether we can mount a sustained title challenge in my opinion. We will always score goals but we were far too open and need a proper first choice RB.

Unfortunately Dier has become all brawn and no timing. If he continues to play in the reckless way of his last recent games it will be a disaster. So if Toby leaves we need to bring
someone in now! or we'll be leaking goals even more. This could be the difference to how our season works out..good or bad as Jurgen states.

Back