• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

How many key players at the top PL clubs are known to have release clauses in their contracts?
The original was to let us have the option to extend - I imagine if we have a straight forward 3 years he wont want one but if we want a 3+1 he will insist. Reading between the lines this £26m was there to allow us the option of a +1 without it he would be available on a free.

How many key players at the top PL clubs are known to have release clauses in their contracts?

Not many, it's more a European league thing ..

Precedent is a dangerous thing, and the club has to balance how much a player is worth now, compared to the precedent it sets.

The scum and Pool's wages are a perfect example, trying to keep best players, tempting new quality players has led to a wage structure very close to City's.

Not many, it's more a European league thing ..

Precedent is a dangerous thing, and the club has to balance how much a player is worth now, compared to the precedent it sets.

The scum and Pool's wages are a perfect example, trying to keep best players, tempting new quality players has led to a wage structure very close to City's.

It's specifically an Iberian thing - it's a legal requirement in those two countries. It's only used exceptionally in other countries

The original was to let us have the option to extend - I imagine if we have a straight forward 3 years he wont want one but if we want a 3+1 he will insist. Reading between the lines this £26m was there to allow us the option of a +1 without it he would be available on a free.

It’s something is and united do a lot although the fixed fee is unusual

We could even now offer him new terms and a signing in for the new contract to give him a big lift

It's specifically an Iberian thing - it's a legal requirement in those two countries. It's only used exceptionally in other countries

Sure I read it and not legally enforceable as it’s classed as modern slavery or something similar in the U.K... but I guess a club would look awful for not accepting something in a contract

Sure I read it and not legally enforceable as it’s classed as modern slavery or something similar in the U.K... but I guess a club would look awful for not accepting something in a contract
Think you are confusing a clubs option to extend as some say its too far in favour for the club. It's never gone to court and consensus is its valid, its a minority view its not

It’s something is and united do a lot although the fixed fee is unusual

We could even now offer him new terms and a signing in for the new contract to give him a big lift
I know lots of clubs do the option but in this case Toby had some power when he signed so may have insisted or no option

Think you are confusing a clubs option to extend as some say its too far in favour for the club. It's never gone to court and consensus is its valid, its a minority view its not

Sure I read it wasn’t under UK employment law but I iantbtrawling through the internet

In Spain they use the fee to buy out the contract. That’s how they get around it
The miney is paid to the Spanish FA by the player to buy out his contract and they pay his club

Sure I read it wasn’t under UK employment law but I iantbtrawling through the internet

In Spain they use the fee to buy out the contract. That’s how they get around it
The miney is paid to the Spanish FA by the player to buy out his contract and they pay his club
We have seen players have a relegation clause which is the same just triggered by the relegation.

In Spain its the player who has to pay the release not the club however if its met the selling club rarely enforce this side as they know others will do the same to them. For an English team to force it the release is in effect 40% higher as when you give the player cash to pay the club you need to pay the tax too.
Sorry about the source
www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6970567/release-clause-la-liga-spain-chelsea-kepa-neymar/amp/

I seem to remember something about Luis Suarez having such a minimum release clause at Liverpool (maybe £40 million) and Arsenal lodged a bid just over the threshold and Liverpool refused to accept.
Am I fever dreaming this?
If not, does anyone remember anything coming about from this disregard for contract?

Last edited:
I seem to remember something about Luis Suarez having such minimum release clause at Liverpool (maybe £40 million) and Arsenal lodged a bid just over the threshold and Liverpool refused to accept.
If not, does anyone remember anything coming about from this disregard for contract?

It rings a bell!

I seem to remember something about Luis Suarez having such minimum release clause at Liverpool (maybe £40 million) and Arsenal lodged a bid just over the threshold and Liverpool refused to accept.
Yea sounds right, although I don’t think Suarez was bothered about going there, had he kicked up a fuss they may have been forced to sell. The player still has to agree to leave.

Some conflicting reports on that.

Liverpool's owner in 2014:

"He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving. We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to.

"Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position that we're just not selling."

Arsene Wenger in 2017:

“We had an agreement with the players and we had been wrongly advised that he had a clause (in his contract).

“You can ask the player. He will confirm that he wanted to join us.

“Then they kept him one more year, improved his contract and promised to sell him to a club abroad.”

It does seem very unlike Levy to agree to a clause.

I guess at the time 26m seemed a lot for a 30 year old centre back and considering the price we were getting him for it was deemed worth the risk. As Toby’s Star has risen even a new contract nearer the top of our new wage structure would be dwarfed by a doped club, especially if he’s arriving at a comparatively low fee. If we made him a timely decent offer and he’s chosen to accept double from whichever top 8 club in Europe then I reluctantly say he’s played a blinder from a personal perspective. As far as i’m aware he never refused to play for us and we’ve had great value from him, I just wish the clause had stated a non domestic club could exercise the it as it’s a double whammy to make him and strengthen a rival at the same time.

I guess at the time 26m seemed a lot for a 30 year old centre back and considering the price we were getting him for it was deemed worth the risk. As Toby’s Star has risen even a new contract nearer the top of our new wage structure would be dwarfed by a doped club, especially if he’s arriving at a comparatively low fee. If we made him a timely decent offer and he’s chosen to accept double from whichever top 8 club in Europe then I reluctantly say he’s played a blinder from a personal perspective. As far as i’m aware he never refused to play for us and we’ve had great value from him, I just wish the clause had stated a non domestic club could exercise the it as it’s a double whammy to make him and strengthen a rival at the same time.

Think the answer is below and 4 years back £26m for an over 30 CB would have been seen as amazing business.

I seem to remember something about Luis Suarez having such a minimum release clause at Liverpool (maybe £40 million) and Arsenal lodged a bid just over the threshold and Liverpool refused to accept.
It's in the link above yours, the clause was to speak with another club as well not sign, agent screwed that one

Think the answer is below and 4 years back £26m for an over 30 CB would have been seen as amazing business.
That’s what I alluded to in the post!

I guess at the time 26m seemed a lot for a 30 year old centre back and considering the price we were getting him for it was deemed worth the risk.

The only other thing is we know how levy hated selling to United when they were in a position of power so I’m hoping there may be some non-domestic sale clause in there too!

“I know our fans are doing a massive job for us and even the last London derby against Arsenal at Wembley [last Saturday], the atmosphere was incredible,” Alderweireld said. “Imagine that at the new stadium. I think there won’t be another club in the world like this. It would be massive to be in the new stadium for the quarter-final. Even if we never played a game there, it will be like our home.”
Doesn't sound like someone who wants out?

Back