• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

*If*. If Daniel Levy really can't entice PSG, Bayern, Madrid or Barca into bidding for him at a much lower price than we're quoting to United - which is pretty unlikely.

Knock the fee down to 40m and sell him abroad.

What other targets? F*cking Grealish? No fudging thanks - being rogered by United is not worth it just because we get a Championship player in return. Might as well ask for Fraizer Campbell on loan again in that case.

Martial, or don't sell. The idea that we should meekly submit to their refusal to sell anyone to us, while selling them whoever they want, is farcical to my mind - utterly farcical. Throw it out the window.

And if the player is settled in England/London and doesn't want to move to those clubs? Players have a say too you know...

Getting 60m for a player who is available for 25m next year and would likely spend season as a backup CB is not us being rogered mate, far from it - it's the best possible outcome at this point in time afaic irrespectove of where goes (outside of Chelsea/Arsenal and probably Liverpool)

And if the player is settled in England/London and doesn't want to move to those clubs? Players have a say too you know...

Again, *if*. If he's so settled in London, why go to Manchester? And if he's willing to go to Manchester, why not consider Paris? Munich? Barcelona? Madrid?

Getting 60m for a player who is available for 25m next year and would likely spend season as a backup CB is not us being rogered mate, far from it imo - it's the best possible outcome at this point in time afaic

Not without getting Martial in return. As I said, we would be submitting to United's demand for one of our players while also accepting their refusal to sell one of theirs to us.

Unacceptable, weak, and essentially being rogered.

Martial, or Ed Woodward can fudge off and we can sell elsewhere.

As for the 60m, utterly useless if we use it to sign Grealish.

it would considerably soften the blow of having to sell to those cnuts if we got Martial in return. Cant see it happening though

Again, *if*. If he's so settled in London, why go to Manchester? And if he's willing to go to Manchester, why not consider Paris? Munich? Barcelona? Madrid?

Not without getting Martial in return. As I said, we would be submitting to United's demand for one of our players while also accepting their refusal to sell one of theirs to us.

Unacceptable, weak, and essentially being rogered.

Martial, or Ed Woodward can fudge off and we can sell elsewhere.

As for the 60m, utterly useless if we use it to sign Grealish.

If he's settled in England why wouldn't he move to another country? I don't think i really need to explain myself further there tbh mate

60m will help us get our targets in, had we had the money earlier in the window we may have got some players in for pre season - you keep highlighting Grealish as though that holds any importance, we would have had a bigger budget earlier in the window so it would have made it easier to secute our msin targets, whoever they are - which is a better position to be in than were we to hold on to a player who is frozen out of the first team.

So what? Sell him abroad.

Is any overseas club after Toby? I have only seen reference to Utd being interested. It’s a bit like when people said we should only sell Walker abroad. But a) he had decided on City and b) there was no one else coming in for him anyway. If Poch has decided Toby isn’t going to play a significant part in our first team (and whilst none of us know for sure, its clear something is not right between them), then we have to make the best of a bad situation. Sell him, hopefully get Martial as part of the deal if that’s who Poch wants. Or someone else in the few remaining days.
Whilst him going to Utd is not ideal, I’m not convinced it will be as much to our detriment as some might think (although we do need a replacement). Keeping him and not playing him apart from the odd cup game is just a waste. A waste of wages, a waste of a squad place, and detrimental to the overall squad harmony.
We can given Utd (especially a Utd in Mourinho melt down) a run for their money, regardless of who Toby plays for.

When Arsenal sold their best player to Utd they got mikhytaran (sic) in exchange. So it is nonsense that Utd will not give us Martial just because we are a rival. I am sure the delay in the deal is because Levy will not let them have Alderweireld without Martial coming the other way.

But Mikhytaran is dog brick

@billyiddo, you also haven't answered my question - would you like what happened at Arsenal to happen here? Adebayor, Sagna, Clichy, Nasri, Van Persie, and there must be other blokes I'm forgetting.

They were pillaged by their rivals every year, and it was only Wenger's knack for finishing fourth that kept drawing them over the line.

Make no mistake, the same will happen here, with us. Levy is no smarter than their directors were when they moved into their new stadium.

Would that be worth not being 'petty?

The thing with Arsenal is that they were all first team players they didn’t want to lose. We’ve just played most of last season without him. And Poch clearly wants him gone.

He will improve United but I don’t see other European clubs coming in for him. He’s 29 and just coming off an injury prone season. Who do Barca et al have at CB and why would they want Toby?

I don’t think this is like Carrick or Berbatov because it’s as much wanting him gone to maintain our standards of respect, our team spirit, our culture, our buy in to the plan etc etc which you may not think are important but are key reasons as to why we’ve been able to be so consistent.

If United came for Eriksen I think we would laugh it off, similarly Dele. The only reason they are getting Toby potentially is because we don’t mind letting him go. It’s part of making the right long term decision. Not the best decision for this month, or even for this season, but what is the best way to keep us moving on an upward trajectory over the next 3 to 5 years? That may be about getting one of the last players out (Toby alongside Rose) who never seemed fully committed to building his career here, like Jan did, like Kane does. It also may be about getting him out now because it might be too painful a transition to try and replace 2 CBs in one summer (maybe Jan won’t be on the way out but maybe we want to future proof him next year too) so it’s best to start that transition now.

With most of our other players, I think we’re in a position to offer them good money - if the Kane contract is anything to go by - where the only move they really will ever want to make is Barca or Madrid (I’m thinking Eriksen here in a couple of years could be tempted to satisfy a life long ambition in spite of what money we may offer). We could have afforded to pay Toby good money - probably not much less than United will offer (considering their CBs reportedly aren’t earning that much) but it wasn’t about that. By all accounts, he - or he allowed his agent to - dingdong us around by having Poch go to bat for a new contract for him, getting it, and then moving the goal posts. Some things - the standards and the respect for the people at this club and the way we do things which have dragged us up from being best of the rest to one of the most consistent sides in the country - are more important than worrying about whether this means United are stronger for this season. Levy and Poch will be thinking long term.

And that’s the right thing to do. To be honest I’m sure they calculated the same thing with Walker - that City could go and buy another right back from wherever they wanted and they still probably would have ran away with the League last year. But we would have kept a sulky player that wanted to move back up north, who we’d already dropped for the biggest games too. We may as well have gotten an inflated fee for him, because last year probably wasn’t going to be our year getting ahead of City because of the Wembley adjustment.

Toby is the last of our squad I can see that would sulk and be a risk to morale if he didn’t get a move (Rose is too far removed from a consistent run to have a real case that he deserves one). And the long term consideration here is, can we sell abroad for the same price or near to it, or even for good money but a knock down compared to United? If not, what will United do? Move for Maguire? Move for someone else? What will we do? Keep Toby on the bench for a year and sell him for cheap next summer? Not be able to bring in De Ligt or Maguire ourselves? United will sign someone regardless when it’s a position they want to strengthen, so we may as well get paid over the odds for it.

And just to be clear, I wouldn’t be advocating this approach with Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Dier (and the thing you seem to have ignored is we absolutely DID make a stand against United with Dier, which was the comment Jose made in relation to) but for Toby - a player we have already shown we can do without, who we want to move on for the sake of our own standards and harmony, and so we can get paid over the odds to find the best replacement for us. If we sell Toby and sign De Ligt, it will be a great move. If we sell Toby and get Martial, also a great move. They will sign a CB anyway.

I wouldn’t sell him to City, as they are iffy at cb and that might be how we overhaul them this season.

United/Chelsea/arsenal, so what, they are so far behind us he wouldn’t make much difference.

Ideally he’ll sign a new contract and be an asset for us but we have been fine without him for extended periods over the last two seasons.

When Arsenal sold their best player to Utd they got mikhytaran (sic) in exchange. So it is nonsense that Utd will not give us Martial just because we are a rival. I am sure the delay in the deal is because Levy will not let them have Alderweireld without Martial coming the other way.

I would imagine the issue will be in valuing the players. I would be confident in Alderweireld being happy to go there, and Martial here.

More likely its the stand off between Utd saying "We will give you £40m fro Toby, but want £60m for Marital" and Levy saying "How about you give me Martial and £20m?"

Or alike. And aside from that, it will be trying to negotiate it such that one deal is dependent on the other.

That is so crap I don't know where to begin.

Let's just stick with the fact that the home-grown rules for the Premier League and the CL differ - and while Janssen, N'Koudou et al won't make the CL squad in any eventuality, we are completely covered for the Premier League *even including them*.

Jesus, ali z, at least do five seconds of fudging research before becoming an ITK.

Is any overseas club after Toby? I have only seen reference to Utd being interested. It’s a bit like when people said we should only sell Walker abroad. But a) he had decided on City and b) there was no one else coming in for him anyway. If Poch has decided Toby isn’t going to play a significant part in our first team (and whilst none of us know for sure, its clear something is not right between them), then we have to make the best of a bad situation. Sell him, hopefully get Martial as part of the deal if that’s who Poch wants. Or someone else in the few remaining days.
Whilst him going to Utd is not ideal, I’m not convinced it will be as much to our detriment as some might think (although we do need a replacement). Keeping him and not playing him apart from the odd cup game is just a waste. A waste of wages, a waste of a squad place, and detrimental to the overall squad harmony.
We can given Utd (especially a Utd in Mourinho melt down) a run for their money, regardless of who Toby plays for.
You only sell Toby to United for money and lots of it if we have identified players already and the deals are ready to be completed immediately. If the expectation was that we get Martial as part of the deal and United are unwilling to let him go then at this stage in the transfer window, money in the bank is no good and we don't sell. Selling him to a rival without a replacement either directly or in another position where we need strengthening doesn't make sense imo, we just weaken ourselves and strengthen a rival.

People cite the walker sale to City. For me that weakened us as we were unable to adequately replace him and the right side of defence with Toby out was a problem in the key games. Why do we want to repeat that?

Back