• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I'm not sure we've ever paid to sign a player from Yankited, a quick google search shows the last player before Teddy to join us from united was way back in the 1930's! -

Jack Hall was a goalkeeper who had four seasons with United from 1932. In season 1935-36, Hall impressed in the two games between the clubs, keeping a clean sheet on both occasions. United were promoted but Spurs persuaded Hall to sign for them and he made his debut a few weeks ahead of James Brown. He was almost an ever present in his first season but the next year, a loss of form saw him lose his place to Percy Hooper. He was unavailable to Spurs during the War and when he returned in 1945 Spurs had Ted Ditchburn as a very promising goalkeeper and Hall was released. In total he played 67 League and Cup games for Spurs.

taken from - http://tottenham-spur.blogspot.com/2012/03/they-played-for-spurs-and-manchester.html
Brilliant! So I’m the last 100 years, we have literally signed sweet jack-‘all from United :cool::D

We really need to move away from this thinking as ironically i think it is that what is small time - if Alderwiereld wants United and they want him then the deal should have been struck during last season to conclude when the window opens - we then get on with improving our team with the added 50-60m or whatever is.

fudge United, if they don't get him they'll blow big money on some other highly rated player anyway - biting our nose off to spite our face by keeping hold of a player we aren't going to use isn't making a stand or a point, it's just holding us back and making us look petty.
If we had multi millions then fine,but we rely on our outgoings for budget towards incomings so if Toby isn’t going to be utilised fully then just get rid and move on. He’s really not the be all and end all, in fact no one at our club is because of the way Poch has moulded us into a team no one is indespensible as us having a better record without Kane proves(although obviously rather he’s there than not)......

And we don't have to sell Toby to United.

I have to repeat, selling Toby to a direct rival is essentially getting rogered by them in return. It resurrects the idea that United are too big for ickle Spurs to resist - at some stage, we have to cave and return to selling them our crown jewels and accepting our place in the order of things, as obedient servants to the big clubs in this league.

That is the precedent we will return to if we sell Toby to United without Martial coming the other way.

And if Levy then uses the money he gets from selling Toby to then go and buy *Grealish*, or some other third-rate Championship clogger....

....well, we will see, won't we?

Actually I think we do.

1 Poch has proved he no longer wants the player

2 We lack the financial muscle to allow Toby to run down his contract and go for £25m next summer, it is obvious that Levy would never allow that situation to happen and to think otherwise is simply naive.

3 Toby was effectively frozen out of the team leading up to the WC and played well during the tournament. If we keep him and do not play him he will still continue to play for his country.

4 Toby does not want to leave the EPL and at the moment none of the European clubs that can afford him have shown any indication that they want him

5 When you allow a player to run his contract down to one year all of a sudden the player has the power

Either way it is a lose lose situation and it does nothing for our dressing room morale

Last edited:
Actually I think we do.

2 We lack the financial muscle to allow Toby to run down his contract and go for £25m next summer, it is obvious that Levy would never allow that situation to happen and to think otherwise is simply naive.

3 Toby was effectively frozen out of the team leading up to the WC and played well during the tournament. If we keep him and do not play him he will still continue to play for his country.

4 Toby does not want to leave the EPL and at the moment none of the European clubs that can afford him have not shown any indication that they want him

5 When you allow a player to run his contract down to one year all of a sudden the player has the power

Either way it is a lose lose situation and it does nothing for our dressing room morale

I don't think we let his contract run down on purpose, when a player gets greedy there is not much you can do if they do not accept the contract offered.

I don't think we let his contract run down on purpose, when a player gets greedy there is not much you can do if they do not accept the contract offered.

I am not for one moment suggesting we let it happen on purpose but it happened and we have to deal with the consequences

The fact that Toby was basically benched in the league last season of his injury is proof that Poch will not have him this upcoming season, he is gone

Toby was benched because he was playing like an amateur.

Like any player out of the team, he had to earn his way back in, and when given chances looked a mile away from the player we all expect him to be.

His being benched was perfectly legitimate, he did not do enough to oust anyone from the first team. It is not indicative of anything else.

I agree, same with Rose and Dembele, always njured always missing half a season at least

Absolutely, we need players we can rely upon - and I think it is a very special case where its worth keeping someone around just in case they are fit for you - like King. Dembele, Alderweireld, Rose? Not even close for me. I think we would be better off getting in other players we can rely on to perform when we need them.

I'm not sure we've ever paid to sign a player from Yankited, a quick google search shows the last player before Teddy to join us from united was way back in the 1930's! -

Jack Hall was a goalkeeper who had four seasons with United from 1932. In season 1935-36, Hall impressed in the two games between the clubs, keeping a clean sheet on both occasions. United were promoted but Spurs persuaded Hall to sign for them and he made his debut a few weeks ahead of James Brown. He was almost an ever present in his first season but the next year, a loss of form saw him lose his place to Percy Hooper. He was unavailable to Spurs during the War and when he returned in 1945 Spurs had Ted Ditchburn as a very promising goalkeeper and Hall was released. In total he played 67 League and Cup games for Spurs.

taken from - http://tottenham-spur.blogspot.com/2012/03/they-played-for-spurs-and-manchester.html

I don't suppose loan signing count but if they so there is Frazier Campbell (what happened to him?).

There were also war loans. Jack Rowley planed for us as a guest player in the war leagues, iirc.

Actually I think we do.

4 Toby does not want to leave the EPL and at the moment none of the European clubs that can afford him have shown any indication that they want him

Agree to an extent re. the dressing room, although I wonder what the effect of one of our top players being allowed to go to a domestic rival for the second season in a row will be on the dressing room.

Wearing a Dsquared2 T-shirt in today’s social media update, which clearly means he’s off to €iteh!

If he’s using the phrase ‘reached out’ in his social media posts maybe it is time for us to let Toby go.

We really need to move away from this thinking as ironically i think it is that what is small time - if Alderwiereld wants United and they want him then the deal should have been struck during last season to conclude when the window opens - we then get on with improving our team with the added 50-60m or whatever is.

fudge United, if they don't get him they'll blow big money on some other highly rated player anyway - biting our nose off to spite our face by keeping hold of a player we aren't going to use isn't making a stand or a point, it's just holding us back and making us look petty.

It absolutely is a statement of intent.

It was, and is, real enough that Mourinho moaned about it last year when comparing United with (I think) Bayern - 'do you think I can take the two best players from Tottenham? I can't, not anymore.'

It is a precedent that has held for almost a decade now - come what may, we do not sell to our rivals. It resonates with players, managers and fans alike.

It matters.

Although, of course, we could do it your way as well. We could become a low-grade version of Arsenal from 2006 to 2014, hawking our players to any club bigger than us that can afford to pay.

And didn't that work out *well* for them? They lost Adebayor, Sagna, Clichy, Nasri, Van Persie...the Manchester clubs pillaged them and left them with nothing in return.

But I'm sure they were happy they weren't being perceived as petty. And how big and important they must have felt, watching their best players leave to United and City every year while they scraped 4th and stayed trophyless throughout.

Would you like that to happen here? Because it will, once the floodgates are opened. And remember, our base is far lower than Arsenal to begin with - they had won titles and trophies galore before moving into their new digs, while we gave won absolutely nothing for a decade, and precious little of vslue after 1991.

I repeat, selling Toby to United without getting Martial in return is being offered by a big club that will congratulate us for not being 'petty while making off with our best players.

It is cutting off your nose for no appreciable benefit whatsoever.

So if we stand firm now and he leaves next season for Arsenal or Chelsea for a pittance, as he's settled in London, you'll be patting Levy on the back for a job well done? Don't think so somehow

If 60m now allows us to move on to secure other targets and improve the team then we're better off than it will be having a sulking player seeing out his contract.

Last edited:
Actually I think we do.

So what? Sell him abroad.

Why? 25m is a significant fee that would allow us to make a profit on what we paid for him - why would be so crippled by losing out on the extra money? Lord f*cking knows, we're struggling to spend any money anyway.

Fine, great, good for him - so?

Lower the price. Offer a discount to European clubs. If not, keep him - as I said, not like we're itching to spend the money anyway, judging by this window so far.

Not at all. Extension kicks in, and we're guaranteed 25m whatever happens.

Dressing room morale was fine when he was frozen out from November onwards. We don't lose anything - we gain the reputation of bring impossible to deal with from the perspective of our rivals.

I don't want us to get walked over like a f*cking carpet, mate. Not like Arsenal were. And we *will* be, if we go down this road.

We do not have to sell Toby to United. Not at all.

So if we stand firm now and he leaves next season for Arsenal or Chelsea for a pittance, as he's settled in London, you'll be patting Levy on the back for a job well done? Don't think so somehow

*If*. If Daniel Levy really can't entice PSG, Bayern, Madrid or Barca into bidding for him at a much lower price than we're quoting to United - which is pretty unlikely.

Knock the fee down to 40m and sell him abroad.
If 60m now allows us to move on to secure other targets and improve the team then we're better off than it will be having a sulking player seeing out his contract.

What other targets? F*cking Grealish? No fudging thanks - being rogered by United is not worth it just because we get a Championship player in return. Might as well ask for Fraizer Campbell on loan again in that case.

Martial, or don't sell. The idea that we should meekly submit to their refusal to sell anyone to us, while selling them whoever they want, is farcical to my mind - utterly farcical. Throw it out the window.

@billyiddo, you also haven't answered my question - would you like what happened at Arsenal to happen here? Adebayor, Sagna, Clichy, Nasri, Van Persie, and there must be other blokes I'm forgetting.

They were pillaged by their rivals every year, and it was only Wenger's knack for finishing fourth that kept drawing them over the line.

Make no mistake, the same will happen here, with us. Levy is no smarter than their directors were when they moved into their new stadium.

Would that be worth not being 'petty?

I don't want us to get walked over like a f*cking carpet, mate. Not like Arsenal were. And we *will* be, if we go down this road.

We do not have to sell Toby to United. Not at all.

Firstly, you cannot sell him abroad if he does not want to go abroad, and he does not, he wants to go to Utd.

Secondly, selling a player that the manager no longer wants is not being walked over like a carpet.

Thirdly, you are very naive if you think Daniel Levy will sell a player next season for £25m if he believes he could get double that in the next this season, especially when it is a player that Poch no longer wants

Fourthly, chill, else you will bust a blood vessel when he gets sold within the next 4 days :D

Knock the fee down to 40m and sell him abroad.

If Toby does not want to go abroad, and he does not, then he will not, and there is nothing we can do about it.

When a player has one year left on his contract you cannot bully him to do what you want but that fact has not yet computed with you

Firstly, you cannot sell him abroad if he does not want to go abroad, and he does not, he wants to go to Utd.

How do you know? I find it hard to believe that he'd prefer United over Madrid, Barca or Bayern. Maybe they haven't bid for him yet - maybe we need to encourage them to do so.

Secondly, selling a player that the manager no longer wants is not being walked over like a carpet.

Yes, it is - he is one of our best players whether or not the manager likes him, and United are point-blank refusing to sell a player in a similar situation to us. Why submit to that like some grovelling peasant?

Thirdly, you are very naive if you think Daniel Levy will sell a player next season for £25m if he believes he could get double that in the next this season, especially when it is a player that Poch no longer wants

No, I fully admit that Levy cares about penny pinching and the money far more than he cares about not letting us be walked over. I'm not that naive.

But he should not be that way, , and I *will not* be.

Fourthly, chill, else you will bust a blood vessel when he gets sold within the next 4 days :D

That happens every year when Levy pulls his last-minute bargain bin routine. Too late now, mate, but your concern is appreciated. :p

If Toby does not want to go abroad, and he does not, then he will not, and there is nothing we can do about it.

When a player has one year left on his contract you cannot bully him to do what you want but that fact has not yet computed with you

Again, how do you know? United are the only ones interested because we apparently value him at 75m - bump it down to 40, see who's interested, and letvhem make an offer. If really wants out so bad, would Madrid, Barca or Bayern be unappealing choices?

And, additionally, he has two years left on his contract - once we activate that clause. And we likely will, once the January window closes.

Back