• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Even if we're happy for him to go, then (rightly or wrongly) combined with Walker and probably Rose leaving it'll just escalate our reputation as a club which sells its best players

Last season, we didn't miss Walker as much as we thought we would, either - although he was being played more than Toby's being played at the moment. But we miss Walker now. Trippier isn't as good, and Aurier has the potential to be as good but is still young and new to the league.

Similarly, I think we'll still miss Toby, even if we're trying to adapt without him in advance of him leaving.

Also agree regarding Trips and Serge.

But we miss Walker now. Trippier isn't as good, and Aurier has the potential to be as good but is still young and new to the league.

Similarly, I think we'll still miss Toby, even if we're trying to adapt without him in advance of him leaving.

I'm with you on that. Neither Trippier or Aurier is in the same bracket as Walker and its questionable whether they ever will be (particularly for Trippier given his age). Even splurging the £40m-£50m which we receive on a new CB, there has to be a real risk that they're not at TA's level

Even if we're happy for him to go, then (rightly or wrongly) combined with Walker and probably Rose leaving it'll just escalate our reputation as a club which sells its best players

You're honestly pushing this agenda across multiple threads? We haven't fudging sold Alderweireld or Rose.

Cut out the negativity, if we sell either player it will be on our own terms and because it's the best direction for the group.

Someone break out the ban hammer for this WUM.

That old chestnut our 'reputation', what does it really matter what the media and other fans say. Every club sells their best players these days even Barcelona, Liverpool, and Arsenal give them away most of the time.

Only the VERY wealthiest clubs can hope to hold on to all of their best players. Liverpool sold Coutinho, Arsenal Sanchez, Chelsea Costa, United De Maria. Even Barca had to part with Neymar.

But the good news is, we usually manage to replace them. So long as the team continues to progress overall year on year who cares what the media says?

Time to let it go!

It's also important to note there is a LOT of natural turnover in the playing staff nowadays.

Some fans think "OK, that is us sorted for the next 5 years at centre back" or wherever... but it doesn't work like that.

When you look back 3 or 4 years in football it is always a different set of players in the picture

Players may just want a change, if Toby goes to a non-English team it may just be because he wants a new experience (and the added money helps).

And also a reputation as a club that isn’t held to ransom by players

Players may just want a change, if Toby goes to a non-English team it may just be because he wants a new experience (and the added money helps).
Toby is an experienced Belgium international and has played for Ajax, Atletico, Southampton and us. He's been around and knows what it's like to play in Spain which did not go well, Holland and here.
He wants money pure and simply. There is noth wrong with that, but let us not try and dress it up to more than it is.

Spurs should please not sell him to a club in this league!!

I'll be very honest and I cant see Toby going back to Spain so France or Italy. Sadly the money will not be as good as the EPL and say Man U sadly.
It will be Paris or maybe outside Real abroad but I'm not convinced he wont end up at another top six side.

More like a club that made these players what they were, and sells them when we want to.

Toby and Rose haven’t played consistently for months. It’s hardly like we’re losing Kane or Eriksen.

Jan was our best defender this year I think.

This without a doubt.

Not that old chesnut again, without getting into a long debate about players leaving clubs all i will say it happens to every club not just us. I.E every club ( including the big ones) have sold players over the years we are no different, but it seems there are some fans who refuse to see that, or do not want to.

Spurs should please not sell him to a club in this league!!

Can only see the two Manchester clubs begin a possibility -
Toby is an experienced Belgium international and has played for Ajax, Atletico, Southampton and us. He's been around and knows what it's like to play in Spain which did not go well, Holland and here.
He wants money pure and simply. There is noth wrong with that, but let us not try and dress it up to more than it is.
If it was only money he would play out this year as he would be very likely to get more next year, money is key but not the only consideration.

Back