• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

To Dare is to do

Would you rather that Spurs play the most entertaining football, or one that wins titles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think trophies since its been some time. And usually saying that we are entertaining just gives people an easy pass when losing.

I'm in the fortunate position of having witnessed us winning a title, but I would long since have abandoned following Spurs if in the 50-odd seasons since we'd resorted to boring, cynical football in order to succeed.

Indeed I recall during Terry Neill's time in the mid-70s our game became so boring I got fed up and stopped going. Then when Burkinshaw arrived I started to return because although we ended up getting relegated that season we got back to playing attractively once again.

Therefore I seriously do not care about winning titles if they have to be won through boring football. I'd much rather we failed aiming high playing entertaining football than succeeded playing sh-it.

What was it Billy Nich said?

"We at Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.”

and Danny -

“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

This video gave me goosebumps and my eyes went wet

Same here Kandi.......it doesn't take much for me too start welling up. The Mrs would either take the tinkle/be very upset that THFC can open my emotional floodgates in an instant.

I suppose it's just the history and all that we've been through. There is no getting away from it they have been a massive part of my life.

At the moment I love our club, the way we conduct ourselves, the way we are (organically) growing and succeeding while navigating hurdles the size of the grand national. The way we are moving only next door (if that). A nice analogy is that the new stadium is consuming the old stadium ...so digesting all that has gone before in the old girl, before revealing herself as the next 100 years of wonder.

It was a really nice piece by NBC.

We are certainly daring and very much doing.COYS

I'm in the fortunate position of having witnessed us winning a title, but I would long since have abandoned following Spurs if in the 50-odd seasons since we'd resorted to boring, cynical football in order to succeed.

Indeed I recall during Terry Neill's time in the mid-70s our game became so boring I got fed up and stopped going. Then when Burkinshaw arrived I started to return because although we ended up getting relegated that season we got back to playing attractively once again.

Therefore I seriously do not care about winning titles if they have to be won through boring football. I'd much rather we failed aiming high playing entertaining football than succeeded playing sh-it.

What was it Billy Nich said?

"We at Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.”

and Danny -

“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

Pretty much this for me as well, i want us to win things ( after all this is what playing sport is all about at the end of the day), however if i had to watch the Pullis, Fat Sam etc way of playing i would give up my season ticket. I do believe there is a middle way ( the Utd team for many years played exciting football yet won lots). At the moment we seem to be stuck in the middle, on our day we can be very good but there is also a lot of passing across the middle and its not really that entertaining.

However as a have said before we are still a work in progress and heading in the right direction. Going back to your point about Neill i agree to a point ( but our side then was struggling anyway hence the relegation). The worst for me was under Francis who i thought was probably the most negative manager we have had.

Of course the choice is rarely if ever that stark. There are always going to be times when you have to defend for your life, to make sure you get over the line. If you asked would I rather lose at Anfield playing attractively or win playing negatively if the result was critical to our chances of becoming champions then yes I'd accept the latter option.

But playing negatively, cynically week in week out just to make sure you finish on top at the end of the season? No thanks, not for me.

Of course the choice is rarely if ever that stark. There are always going to be times when you have to defend for your life, to make sure you get over the line. If you asked would I rather lose at Anfield playing attractively or win playing negatively if the result was critical to our chances of becoming champions then yes I'd accept the latter option.

But playing negatively, cynically week in week out just to make sure you finish on top at the end of the season? No thanks, not for me.

Indeed.

I think the fact that I've been going to Spurs 60 years answers the question, if I just want to watch a team grinding out results or winning trophies every other year I would have gone elsewhere. I can't say in all honesty that I've been entertained by our football all the time but we've have tried to play in what I think is the right way, and the faith in the club doing that keeps me coming back. I'm probably in the minority in that I want to see a good game and the result is not as important to me as it is the most. Too many teams don't want to play football they just want a result which means too many boring games with technique being ditched and replaced with graft and negative systems.

The both option is so obvious it's not interesting. It's either play with flair and entertainment or Win titles at any cost playing Mourinho bus parking/Pulisball or whatever it takes.
As a spurs fan since the early eighties, I'm only familiar with one of the options.;)

I think the fact that I've been going to Spurs 60 years answers the question, if I just want to watch a team grinding out results or winning trophies every other year I would have gone elsewhere. I can't say in all honesty that I've been entertained by our football all the time but we've have tried to play in what I think is the right way, and the faith in the club doing that keeps me coming back. I'm probably in the minority in that I want to see a good game and the result is not as important to me as it is the most. Too many teams don't want to play football they just want a result which means too many boring games with technique being ditched and replaced with graft and negative systems.
Superb post.

We've played the entertain card for so long now there is really no going back.Where is the joy,the glory in winning ugly.

Titles.

I went to my first live game in 1994, I was ten. Since then, I've had to put up with Arsenal winning the double, being unbeaten in the league, finishing above us every season, never winning at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea beating us 6-1 on our own ground, watching them win the European Cup and be the first London club to do it, Man Utd buying up our best players, humiliating collapses (Spurs 3 - 4 ten men Emirates Marketing Project, Spurs 3 - 5 Man Utd, on and on it goes).

Just win and stick it up all of these insufferable qunts.

We've played the entertain card for so long now there is really no going back.Where is the joy,the glory in winning ugly.

If we get past Milwall in the Cup and then beat Arsenal in the ugliest 1-0 win you've ever seen, we will all experience plenty of joy.

Lose that game 4-3 in a "thriller" and we will be gutted.

To me, the entertainment in football comes from what is riding on the game. Beating Arsenal ugly to win something is much more entertaining, imo, than playing lovely football and beating WBA 4-0 in a game that means nothing in the end.

Good teams do both anyway.

My love for Spurs was born out of the stylish way we play. It was the majesty of Hoddle that converted me but to be honest I'd take a season of pragmatic football if we won the title.

Obviously the question as framed is a false dichotomy but taking it at face value I would say titles (in the short term).

This video gave me goosebumps and my eyes went wet!
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs-tv/features/nbc-presents-tottenham-hotspur-–-to-dare-is-to-do/

What do you guys think? Entertain or win at any cost?

I love the way Levy professionally explains how building a 61k capacity stadium wasn't just motivated by going larger than Scum. :p :D

I'm in for the sexy football. I'd rather kill myself than have say AVB take charge for another 10 seasons, if that meant us winning the league along the way.

Back